Anyone run faster than 11.80 with tune and tire?

DIB5.0

Established Member
Have a friend who ran 11.81 @ 117 with just tune and tire but can not break this no matter what he does. Car is an auto. 1.80 '60

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
thats about my best as well - although i do have a axleback. not sure if your going to get much better with stock gear/stall. I pulled a 1.83' 60 too. Car is a Premium A6.

5pointohh------------------1.83 - 11.88 @ 117.10

I think theres a member here that has a Base 5.0 A6 that ran 12.50's with a axleback. I'd like to see how that car would do on a good tune and tire.

Last edited:

DIB5.0

Established Member
Brook Speed tune. Not sure of rear tire size. Ill ask. I have also seen a Lund tuned car run 11.84 @ 117.

Bmr4life

Established Member
Alright. I'm slightly frustrated with how my car did this past weekend. The DA was great, only ~500'. My best 60' was 1.875 on 275/40/17 MT DRs which was also my best run of 12.16@115.

Mods are JLT CAI, Lethal O/R, Aluminum DS, LCA's with Brackets, Roush Rear springs, and a C&L (Doug) tune. Race weight was 3790lb with me in it.

I don't think I need more mods to run 11s, I think I just need a better tune.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Alright. I'm slightly frustrated with how my car did this past weekend. The DA was great, only ~500'. My best 60' was 1.875 on 275/40/17 MT DRs which was also my best run of 12.16@115.

Mods are JLT CAI, Lethal O/R, Aluminum DS, LCA's with Brackets, Roush Rear springs, and a C&L (Doug) tune. Race weight was 3790lb with me in it.

Damn, that is a very small tire. What gear do you have?

casper gt

Established Member

I think your doing pretty well, there are some factory freaks I'm shure but I would need to see time slips on any a6 car claiming much better times on such limited mods.

on an honest day at an honest track, uncorrected, no I don't think you have the mods to see an 11.

Bmr4life

Established Member
When you said c&l you answered your question.

What do you mean? Doug works at C&L and is a very reputable tuner.

Damn, that is a very small tire. What gear do you have?

Stock 3.15

I think your doing pretty well, there are some factory freaks I'm shure but I would need to see time slips on any a6 car claiming much better times on such limited mods.

on an honest day at an honest track, uncorrected, no I don't think you have the mods to see an 11.

Whats your logic behind that when this thread is claiming a few are in 11s with just tune and tires?

Last edited:

DIB5.0

Established Member
Casper are you not running 11.71 with the same mods he is besides you having 4.10 gears? He should at least run 11.90. I seen a tuned car by Adam from POPS running 11.90 with tune/tires. He is one of Shaun's partners here in western ny.

5bites

Established Member
Redcandy if I were you I'd get a pops tune and you will see results. If you do please post your findings.

Bmr I tried a c&l tune and the car literally didn't make it to the highway for a test run. Doug was made aware and I never got the revision I was promised. I know he has a good reputation with the 3v guys which is why I went to him. I'm not the only 5.0 guy that has had poor luck with him. There was a thread a while back about a c&l tuned car not running near the times a typical 5.0 should also.

Not bashing just stating my personal experience. I know other have had success. I wasn't one of them.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Casper are you not running 11.71 with the same mods he is besides you having 4.10 gears? He should at least run 11.90. I seen a tuned car by Adam from POPS running 11.90 with tune/tires. He is one of Shaun's partners here in western ny.

its very common for a tuned A6 to run deep 12's, high 11's with minimal mods. Last year at the track (maybe it was longer), there was a 12' A6 5.0, i forget who it was tuned by but it ran 11.70's on a drag radial. Stock air intake, stock exhaust, and it had some suspension work. I believe the guy post's on here, I forget his name but he was a real nice guy. Thats when I decided to get a A6. I believe with the right tuning(e85), a full exhaust, stall A6 could run 11.40-.50's, if not better.

My car is consistent 11.90-12.0's @ 116.50-117.0 pulling 1.86-.90' 60's for the most part. The stars aligned, and the earths axis's tilted a bit and I cut a 1.83' and went 11.88 only once. Regardless, i'm impressed with the mods. Stock it went 12.79, and to pick up almost a full second and a solid 5 MPH with mufflers and a tune (and tires) is awesome in my book.

Last edited:

DIB5.0

Established Member
Redcandy if I were you I'd get a pops tune and you will see results. If you do please post your findings.

Bmr I tried a c&l tune and the car literally didn't make it to the highway for a test run. Doug was made aware and I never got the revision I was promised. I know he has a good reputation with the 3v guys which is why I went to him. I'm not the only 5.0 guy that has had poor luck with him. There was a thread a while back about a c&l tuned car not running near the times a typical 5.0 should also.

Not bashing just stating my personal experience. I know other have had success. I wasn't one of them.

You running a POPS tune?

5bites

Established Member
No I run an aed tune now. I've ran steeda also which is a great driving tune. Smoothest and best mpg yet actually. It doesn't put down the power like aed does though.

vortecd

Established Member
11's with a tune and tires is pretty awesome! Just goes to show Ford tuned these cars on the SAFE side

Bmr4life

Established Member
No I run an aed tune now. I've ran steeda also which is a great driving tune. Smoothest and best mpg yet actually. It doesn't put down the power like aed does though.

Ha, thanks for all your posts. I have a Steeda tune that I use for DD and am kicking myself for not running it at the track. Doug's tune was supposed to be my all out tune with high shift points and a lockout in 3rd not allowing the car to shift into 4th at WOT. Well that didn't work and I ended up putting the trans in 3rd once it had already shifted there. Doing that caused me to cross the line bouncing off the rev limiter which should equate to more than 115mph at 7500rpm, but obviously something was amiss.

On the way home I put my Steeda tune back on and I actually think it felt better Dougs tune, but that could just be in my head.

So for you, AED made more power than Steeda. That's good to know. I'm not looking at doing another mod to the car as anything else would be silly versus just going FI. But another tune is an option.

Users who are viewing this thread