Are Midpipes and CAI REALLY worth it?

Yellow4.6

Established Member
I've been considering an O/R H and a CAI for my 12 GT. I've been told for the money they're not really worth it, that you actually lose midrange TQ and just gain alittle up top and kinda the same boat with a CAI giving minimal gains.

My question is for those who have done these mods on a N/A motor with stock headers and an AB. What have you seen with these additions? Whats a typical gain?

I do plan on a TVS in the next of couple years but just looking for alittle more right now.

Any dyno graphs is a plus.

Thanks for any help!

Car info: '12 GT M6, 93 Tune, Roush AB, 3.31gears. Current #'s 396/358

Last edited:

stang8psi

Established Member
off road x, roush no tune intake, and a BBR tune. 410-418rwhp-396-398rwtq stock all season Pirelli 12.4-3 @116-118.. I do have 3.73 though.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
1. Who told you this?
2. Most HP gain is from removing cats + tune.
3. CAI is mainly for dress up. Some HP gain, but most seem to think not worth the cost.
4. Typical HP gain for O/R x or h pipe and tune is 20ish HP
5. AED /thread

Tyler72

Established Member
For what its worth, I picked up a legit 12 RWHP with an airaid Cai & no other mods. I dynoed it before & after within 15 minutes of each other. Car stayed strapped to the dyno while it was installed.

natedog_1959

Established Member
More air in and out will make more power if properly tuned to take advantage of the modifications. The stock airbox is ok, but I can see it being a pretty big restriction. I have a JLT waiting to go on once I pull the trigger on an AED tune. I will try to do a before/after dyno to show the differences.

Here is one of many write-ups on the JLT intake.

Track and Dyno: 2013 Mustang JLT Intake and SCT Tune Install - StangTV.com

I'm sure getting rid of the cats and installing a much smoother OR/H or OR/X pipe will net you similar gains.

You could finish it off with some over-the-axle pipes (5-10 hp).

Nate

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
For what its worth, I picked up a legit 12 RWHP with an airaid Cai & no other mods. I dynoed it before & after within 15 minutes of each other. Car stayed strapped to the dyno while it was installed.

I'm sure the hood was up to help with the gains. Close the hood and you will see a 10hp lose from the 12.

Mid pipe is where the power is.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
mid pipes are worth the money the CAI isn't really worth the cost vs performance gain. but if you want the look you can go for it.

Yellow4.6

Established Member
I've always had O/R midpipes and CAIs on all my previous mustangs, always heard the new 5.0s loved mods and responded well to them. It's usually always the first mods we do on stangs. Just getting mixed reviews so I wanna make sure it's well worth it.

So those who have dyno'd with midpipes did you notice a loss in midrange tq? So I even worry about it? I've always been a believer in O/R pipes.

As for CAIs why does everyone seem to run them if they're not worth it? I understand more air in more out. I could careless about it looking nice when u pop the hood and seeing a purty open element and someone's name on the intake tube. I want bang for buck.

If a CAI is in my future what brand should I look for? I already have a tune.

scotmach

Established Member
As for CAIs why does everyone seem to run them if they're not worth it? I understand more air in more out. I could careless about it looking nice when u pop the hood and seeing a purty open element and someone's name on the intake tube. I want bang for buck.

Your car came with a CAI from the factory and you won't improve on it. Not everyone falls for the hype of the aftermarket intakes.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
OP, I doubt you will lose torque from installing an offroad midpipe. Since a tune is required to install one anyway, that's going to increase it significantly.

Yellow4.6

Established Member
OP, I doubt you will lose torque from installing an offroad midpipe. Since a tune is required to install one anyway, that's going to increase it significantly.

Figured wouldn't hurt, was curious about the midrange and if anyone has noticed a drop.

How much improvement would I see over my current 396 rwhp / 358 tq? Looking into the Lethal H.

Users who are viewing this thread