BBP: 2014 GT500 vs TT 5.0

WSsick

Established Member
To be fair to the Shelby, I just saw 2 races from a dig where the Shelby raped the 5.0, but they didn't get posted.... Not sure why?

I think in the 1/4 mile these would be some great races judging by how hard the Shelby pulled off the line then how the TT pulled up top.

This video only shows the 5.0s strongest part.

Keep in mind I have a 5.0 so I like to see them win, I just like to see both sides of the story.

I didn't post them because they were so ugly and the TT car let out early. His car has some issues from a dig, causing it to fall on it's face down low. Can't even do a burnout. Yes, TC and Advance Trac are boh off.

Here's what the situation is apparently:
"(TT owner)'s passenger turbo is messing with the exhaust cam actuator on that side making his car gay at times"

They probably posted the 5.0 winning to stir the pot, I think its hilarious.

See above.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Lol...5.0@6psi beats the GT500 at the only thing its good at lol.....I love 5.0's and would take it or a boss anyday over GT500.

That 5.0 at 640rwhp is pushing the limits of the stock block. He will need an engine build... while the GT500 was bone stock with much more power to be made reliably without an engine build. A simple pulley and tune on that GT500 would have pulled the front bumper off the 5.0. And of course it would have beat those BRZ's too.... :lol1: Sorry.. had to mang... :rockon:

Poppacapp

Established Member
How about a GT500 or a c6z? You must pick ONE.

I also like how the compression argument is being thrown around. What about a .8 liter advantage? I guess in a perfect world this race should have:
5.0TT @ same compression as the GT500, and same weight :lol:
GT500 @ 6 psi on the supercharger
:kaboom:

Compression > .8 Liter

Poppacapp

Established Member
I don't think I would call 6 psi over boosting.

What he said...if you think 6psi is over boosting you have a lot to learn

Damn... I am going to have to read the whole thread before quoting and posting... multiple post ftw... :(

Anyway, its not the 6psi thats the issue. Its the hp and torque on the stock bottom end. It's not built to handle much over 600rwhp RELIABLY for the long term. He will need to build the block eventually. Either voluntarily, or INvoluntarily.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
That 5.0 at 640rwhp is pushing the limits of the stock block. He will need an engine build... while the GT500 was bone stock with much more power to be made reliably without an engine build. A simple pulley and tune on that GT500 would have pulled the front bumper off the 5.0. And of course it would have beat those BRZ's too.... :lol1: Sorry.. had to mang... :rockon:

the block is plenty strong on the coyote. its the rods that limit big power. 700whp seems to be the safe limit on stock rods.

i would feel very comfortable at 650whp on stock rods.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
the block is plenty strong on the coyote. its the rods that limit big power. 700whp seems to be the safe limit on stock rods.

700 is not the safe limit by any means. hell i dont even feel safe with my setup at 650.

Poppacapp

Established Member

I'll have to disagree. My forged 5.4 is said to be safe to right at 750rwhp or so. I don't think the non forged Coyote is safe at only 50 less hp. I have heard not to venture over 650 with the stock Coyote.. after that its just a ticking time bomb. Not a matter of IF, but WHEN it pops.

700 is not the safe limit by any means. hell i dont even feel safe with my setup at 650.

+100

kaz109

Established Member

Hahahaha, you leave my precious BRZ outta this!!!!!!!! Lol

jleews6

Established Member
compression ration compression ration compression ration compression ration compression ration compression ration compression ration compression ration compression ration compression ration compression ration compression ration compression ration compression ration compression ration compression ration

If you think that's all it is then good luck to ya bud. Just wondering,How much power would one point in compression be worth on one of these motors? Not taking into account ci,chamber volume ,burn rate, fuel type ,ECT. Just wondering. I just started messing with cars.:-D

I will say that the Shelby's 50 CI and 9 more pounds of manifold pressure is worth a TON more then the compression that the Coyote has. Take the Coyote and lower the compression and then add 50 CI and 9 pounds and it would probably make 750 HP or more. Like i said. The Coyote is a much more efficient air pump.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member

we've got a local 5.0. typical paxton car at 655whp for 3 years now. guy flat out abuses the car. like not even funny, but seriously beat the hell out of it.

if any car was going to let go, it would be this one. like they say its all in the tune.

im not saying the coyote is stronger by any means don't miss read my posts.

svtshadow

Banned
im not sure that you know much if anything about turbos.. i know that tuning can kill a motor as well but the car is running e85. you have to be a real shitty tuner to detonate e85.

hell on a shitty tune you can blow a motor without any boost. look at how many n/a coyotes have been blown up. again the 5 liter in the video is impressive but to down play a stock gt500 is just silly. thats the point i am trying to make. the gt500 is a stronger platform from factory. better transmission, stronger internals, stronger rear end, more cubes and it already has a freaking blower. the coyote is great and i love them as i have one my self and its boosted. i just respect the gt500 5.8 liter as it has a lot of potential.

Both of you are clueless, and am not even sorry!:lol:

nonliberal

Established Member
With a twin turbo at 6psi at less than 650hp on E85 I don't think he is running that car hard at all. It should live a long life if kept that way. If he was on blower or nitrous it may be a different story. Keep in mind you don't have to make as much raw power with a turbo to get the same # on a dyno as you do with a blower since there is no parasitic loss with a turbo. Also a turbo is much easier on internals than the TVS in the Shelby.

Last edited:

nonliberal

Established Member
I didn't post them because they were so ugly and the TT car let out early. His car has some issues from a dig, causing it to fall on it's face down low. Can't even do a burnout. Yes, TC and Advance Trac are boh off.

Here's what the situation is apparently:
"(TT owner)'s passenger turbo is messing with the exhaust cam actuator on that side making his car gay at times"

Damn. Well hopefully he gets that worked out soon!

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I'll have to disagree. My forged 5.4 is said to be safe to right at 750rwhp or so. I don't think the non forged Coyote is safe at only 50 less hp. I have heard not to venture over 650 with the stock Coyote.. after that its just a ticking time bomb. Not a matter of IF, but WHEN it pops.

The coyote does have forged connection rods just like the gt500 but i believe that the gt500 have a bit more material just like the boss 302. but they are both powder forged.

If you think that's all it is then good luck to ya bud. Just wondering,How much power would one point in compression be worth on one of these motors? Not taking into account ci,chamber volume ,burn rate, fuel type ,ECT. Just wondering. I just started messing with cars.:-D

I will say that the Shelby's 50 CI and 9 more pounds of manifold pressure is worth a TON more then the compression that the Coyote has. Take the Coyote and lower the compression and then add 50 CI and 9 pounds and it would probably make 750 HP or more. Like i said. The Coyote is a much more efficient air pump.

let me ask you this then. if its not compression then tell me what is.. because both the coyote and trinity cylinder heads flow almost the same. i believe that coyote heads flow 2% more while the coyote has variable valve timing its more for fuel efficiency and has better low rpm drive ability because of it. sure the gt500 has to sacrifice high end power because they dont have variable valve timing but again that is not worth 100+rwhp not the most aggressive camshaft on a 4 valve is worth 100rwhp. the rotating assembly of the trinity aka gt500 motor weighs a bit more but not enough to cost 100rwhp. tell me what sort of hidden magic the coyote has to produce more power other than the compression. and by the way we are comparing factory ecu calibration thats meant to let the car last 100k miles to a dyno tune calibration on the coyote for all out power and on a much better fuel.

Both of you are clueless, and am not even sorry!:lol:
ok buddy. :beer:

Last edited:

jleews6

Established Member
The coyote does have forged connection rods just like the gt500 but i believe that the gt500 have a bit more material just like the boss 302. but they are both powder forged.

let me ask you this then. if its not compression then tell me what is.. because both the coyote and trinity cylinder heads flow almost the same. i believe that coyote heads flow 2% more while the coyote has variable valve timing its more for fuel efficiency and has better low rpm drive ability because of it. sure the gt500 has to sacrifice high end power because they dont have variable valve timing but again that is not worth 100+rwhp not the most aggressive camshaft on a 4 valve is worth 100rwhp. the rotating assembly of the trinity aka gt500 motor weighs a bit more but not enough to cost 100rwhp. tell me what sort of hidden magic the coyote has to produce more power other than the compression. and by the way we are comparing factory ecu calibration thats meant to let the car last 100k miles to a dyno tune calibration on the coyote for all out power and on a much better fuel.

ok buddy. :beer:

well for one the Coyote heads do flow better and then when you add boost that is multiplied.The combustion chambers I'm sure are much better and have a much better burn rate witch is probably worth power plus the fact that you can run more ignition lead with them. Cam timing plays a huge roll. Allot more then you think. The Shelbys heat pump is no comparison to twin turbos (no fault of the shelby) . RPMs are also part of it. The faster you spin the pump the more air it moves and it can do that because it is a better combination of parts.Your not looking at the whole package,your just looking at one thing at a time but when all together it explains why its a better design.
I have a good friend that has owned many of Mod motors and made over 1200HP 13 years ago when not many were doing that and he now owns a 1300 plus hp Coyote and a quote from him is "these Coyotes are amazing". I wish he would get on hear because he would be able to tell you allot more then I can but he doesn't care about this stuff. His 97 Cobra ran mid 8s in the late 90s so he has been around the modular block before.

Users who are viewing this thread