BBP: 2014 GT500 vs TT 5.0

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Stop throwing around a boost # please. It is only a measure of restriction. If the coyote had 8.5:1 compression it would need 2-3 more psi to make the power it is making now. Compression does play a huge part. I have owned 6 forced induction vehicles from Turbo to PD blower.

Turbos are also more efficient. If the Coyote had the same blower as the gt500 it would need less boost to make the same # due to compression, plain and simple. Compression helps with combustion making the motor more efficient therefore requiring less manifold pressure to make a given hp/trq #

HP levels kill motors not boost #s. 6psi on twin 60mm turbos is a lot different than 6psi on twin 76mm turbos.

And comparing boost levels with 2 different forms of induction is retarded. I needed e85 and 21 psi on my last 03 Cobra with a KB 2.2 to make 672rwhp. I could have made the same # with far less boost by using a single 76mm like I had on my GTO or twin 61mm like the HP kit.

Last edited:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
So a stock GT500 was beat by a modded twin turbo GT. Got it. What is all this BS for? :shrug:

Last edited:

nonliberal

Established Member
Stop throwing around a boost # please. It is only a measure of restriction. If the coyote had 8.5:1 compression it would need 2-3 more psi to make the power it is making now. Compression does play a huge part. I have owned 6 forced induction vehicles from Turbo to PD blower.

Actually if you're talking about what an engine can take before failure boost does mean something. Boost has a direct effect on the valvetrain components that can lead to valve float and engine failure, it has an effect on IATs which if too high with a bad tune can cause detonation and failure, to much boost can lift heads, blow gaskets, crack intakes. So even though it's not the entire issue it is still a piece of the entire puzzle.

As for boost being a measure of restriction- that saying has been around for a while but it is incorrect. To be more correct- Boost is actually a measure of positive pressure pushing outward and trying to escape to a lower pressure so it can equalize (like when an intake valve opens) restriction plays a factor on how fast the boost can equalize. More restriction causes more boost (positive pressure) to build with two like compressors over the same period of time, but boost does not measure restriction. It measure pounds per square inch of positive pressure built by the compressor and waiting to find its way to lower pressure-the engine.

Last edited:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
On LS motors most upgrade valve springs so valve float is a non issue. Now we are arguing semantics.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
LOL, none of these are LS motors. :poke: I know what you're saying though, boost is not the tell all in a set up.

I mentioned LS motors because I figured we were talking boost in general. Valve float is usually not an issue on DOHC engines with boost, more so on OHV pushrod clunkers. I have owned both and don't really have a preference.

I do know the 5.8 will make more power reliably and I look forward to the modded trinity vids. Is he making the switch to E85 as well or no?

nonliberal

Established Member
I mentioned LS motors because I figured we were talking boost in general. Valve float is usually not an issue on DOHC engines with boost, more so on OHV pushrod clunkers. I have owned both and don't really have a preference.

I do know the 5.8 will make more power reliably and I look forward to the modded trinity vids. Is he making the switch to E85 as well or no?

I think he is making the E85 switch this summer.
I'm going with him soon to the dyno when the weather is decent, but I know this week will be pulley, tune, CJ TB, and CAI. I think he is also switching to 4:10s pretty soon. I'm sure he will have it running like a champ pretty quick. Too many fast Coyotes being built around here right now to stay stock. lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread