Best Pulley Combo for Ported Eaton?

CobraOnTheLoose

Screamin Yellow
Established Member
Well I am either going to get Posi's "Race Port" or go with the Steig Stage V port. I'm just curious which upper and lower pulley combo would produce the best numbers while being safe on a stock motor.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
2.93 / 4# was the best for my Stage IV if you don't mind letting it sit and cool for a while inbetween runs. With just a 2.93 upper and stock lower my vert made 490 RWHP and consistantly ran mid 11's with 275/40 Nitto's and crap 60's.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If you're staying with a stock tb/plenum I'd probably go with a 2.8/2lb combo. Then if you're going to upgrade to a ported sbtb and have a full exhaust (not necessarily headers) you can easily go with a 2.80/4lb lower combo.

The 2.80/4lb combo is about the same as a 2.93/6lb combo.

If you don't race much and just drive it on the street I'd say go with more like a 2.8/2lb'er for just some great power without really having to worry about heat build up.

If you drag race and want the most then the 2.8/4lb should be the best.

Also keep in mind you could easily need bap or twin GT pumps, Mass Air Meter, and with the 2.80/4lb combo and with a sbtb you could actually end up needing injectors. Maybe, maybe not. Just letting you know going in.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was always a big fan of my 2.90 upper (before porting the blower) which got me 457rwhp and 480rwtq with an intake, midpipe, catback and Accufab TB. I always believed it was a good "middle ground" upper. The faster the blower spins the more heat you have to deal with. So I'd personally lean towards a 2.90/2.93 upper and a 4 lb. lower. However, the 2.76/2.80 upper is today a very popular choice. But as mentioned above, your goals (especially track goals) and mods will really determine what combo is best for you.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
I was always a big fan of my 2.90 upper (before porting the blower) which got me 457rwhp and 480rwtq with an intake, midpipe, catback and Accufab TB. I always believed it was a good "middle ground" upper. The faster the blower spins the more heat you have to deal with. So I'd personally lean towards a 2.90/2.93 upper and a 4 lb. lower. However, the 2.76/2.80 upper is today a very popular choice. But as mentioned above, your goals (especially track goals) and mods will really determine what combo is best for you.

i feel that was perfectly said bob...thanks:beer:

ttk53

Established Member
I went with a 2.65 upper then I didn't have to mess with a lower. People think it will slip so I guess I'll find out.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
There really is no "best" pulley combo. It depends on what your current mods are and how fast you want to spin the blower. With your 2.80 upper I'd personally go with a 4lb lower minimum, I wouldn't even bother going through the trouble of installing a lower for a 2lb.

let me know how it all works out...who makes the 2.65 anyways?:rockon:

Reichard Racing

CobraOnTheLoose

Screamin Yellow
Established Member
I'm planning on getting a BAP b/c I think my MAF is already upgraded. The 2.8/4# or 2.93/4# is sounding like my best combo. After the port and supporting mods im getting cooling mod, etc.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
2.8/4lb would be a good place to start if you're wanting a lot out of the car. I'd be more than happy to port it for you also.

Thanks,
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread