BEST RADAR DETECTOR-In your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

2004 Cobra

Mad Stock 04 Cobra
Established Member
wals9331 said:
Why hasnt car and driver done another radar comparison test? The last one they did was Feb of 2002...
This would be helpful for the citizen and the LEOs because then everyone would be able to read the report and not be able to use it as a roadside defense because the LEOs will have read the same thing that the citizens have. Just take the ticket if you get one is what I have learned from posting in this forum. Thanks everyone for the straightforward answers to my question and the great responses.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
OhOneSnake said:
Yeah, thats the case anywhere you go. Trainees don't have credentials, and for some reason always act the fool when they go out in town.

That isnt the case with FLETC. The locals watch FLETC students come and go and see the parking tags and consider them easy targets. That is because they know if they report any misconduct to the various agencies that send students to FLETC they will be punished harshly. So they love to mess with FLETC students.

Now when I say students that includes people new at the academy as well as those of us who have "creds" and have been on the job for a while, but are there for advanced training.

The locals just take the opportunity to mess with the FEDS.

Elliotness

Established Member
OhOneSnake said:
Thats funny to hear, as I don't know many LEOs who drive under the speed limit, on or off duty.

I surely don't. I'm around 10 over most of the time traffic permitting.

Elliotness

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
I have been to FLETC numerous times, including initial training and various schools. The troopers arent my concern. It is the Brunswick Cops and the Glynn County Cops that love to target the Feds.

+1 However, I was stopped approximately eighteen months ago on the causeway to the Island. The officer (Think it was Glynn County) was very cordial. I did not receive a citation. I was going 7 over. :banana:

Elliotness

Established Member
jshen said:
By the way..LEOs here do write other off-duty LEOs where warranted.

I don't see many, if any, common LEO posters here commenting on radar detectors...for a reason I suggest.... :wf:

I have been known to occasionally travel faster than the posted speed limit when I'm not on-duty. I understand the consequences for my actions and would not get torqued if I received a citation from a fellow officer. If they choose to give me a citation that is their perogative.

I do get PO'd when citations are issued to on-duty officers.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
So I have another question:

Do any of you law enforcement officers own a radar detector? :poke:

(Don't answer this if you are uncomfortable with the question...)

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
03TKTGTR said:
I don't know about other states but in Virginia it's illegal to just have a radar detector in your car, now that's some :bs:

Why should you be allowed to use a tool that (in your mind) affords you an advantage at breaking the law? This has been discussed on many boards I hang out on it always comes down to 2 things... Do you drive like an ass and attract attention to yourself and how deep are your pockets. Speed excessivly (15 or more over) and I'm eventually going to catch you. Maybe your detector will alert you to my presence but odds are I'm already going after someone else so you're getting away with it that day anyway but eventually I will get you.

I wish more states (NY especially) were like VA and made detectors a violation... Not that they work anyway but it would be fun yanking someone's V-1 and watching them :cryying:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I've been driving for over 20 years and never got a ticket until a couple months ago. The situation was questionable at best. The LEO had set up a speed trap on a short back road using an improperly displayed speed limit sign to his advantage. The speed limit sign wasn't even facing the street, but facing a cornfield and was not immediately visible from the road. Needless to say, I'm going to fight it in court.

However, after I got the ticket, I felt like I really needed to get a radar detector. In all the years I've been driving, I always obeyed the rules of the road to the letter. I actually NEVER speed, unless it's on some expressways around here. Going too slow on some of these expressways will get you killed as we all know.

Now that I have a radar detector, I drive no differently. I still don't speed, but that radar detector gives me an extra piece of mind, especially when I own a car that is such an easy "target" for law enforcement. The sole reason I got the detector is to try and avoid nonsense like the situation described above. Whenever I'm driving and the detector goes off, I always drop my speed by 5 mph. Would this have helped me with my previous situation? Maybe, maybe not. Who knows?

Like I said, I'm just trying to protect myself against questionable situations. While I'd like to believe the majority of LEO's are honest, I know a few may not be. It's just a matter of time until you encounter a situation like mine, so why not try to protect yourself.

Just remember that having a radar detector doesn't give you the right to speed or drive aggressively. Always drive safely and obey the rules of the road.

2004 Cobra

Mad Stock 04 Cobra
Established Member
NyteByte said:
I've been driving for over 20 years and never got a ticket until a couple months ago. The situation was questionable at best. The LEO had set up a speed trap on a short back road using an improperly displayed speed limit sign to his advantage. The speed limit sign wasn't even facing the street, but facing a cornfield and was not immediately visible from the road. Needless to say, I'm going to fight it in court.

However, after I got the ticket, I felt like I really needed to get a radar detector. In all the years I've been driving, I always obeyed the rules of the road to the letter. I actually NEVER speed, unless it's on some expressways around here. Going too slow on some of these expressways will get you killed as we all know.

Now that I have a radar detector, I drive no differently. I still don't speed, but that radar detector gives me an extra piece of mind, especially when I own a car that is such an easy "target" for law enforcement. The sole reason I got the detector is to try and avoid nonsense like the situation described above. Whenever I'm driving and the detector goes off, I always drop my speed by 5 mph. Would this have helped me with my previous situation? Maybe, maybe not. Who knows?

Like I said, I'm just trying to protect myself against questionable situations. While I'd like to believe the majority of LEO's are honest, I know a few may not be. It's just a matter of time until you encounter a situation like mine, so why not try to protect yourself.

Just remember that having a radar detector doesn't give you the right to speed or drive aggressively. Always drive safely and obey the rules of the road.
Thsi is what I was going for when I originally posted the thread. Thanks

2004 Cobra

Mad Stock 04 Cobra
Established Member
Trooper4985 said:
Why should you be allowed to use a tool that (in your mind) affords you an advantage at breaking the law? This has been discussed on many boards I hang out on it always comes down to 2 things... Do you drive like an ass and attract attention to yourself and how deep are your pockets. Speed excessivly (15 or more over) and I'm eventually going to catch you. Maybe your detector will alert you to my presence but odds are I'm already going after someone else so you're getting away with it that day anyway but eventually I will get you.

I wish more states (NY especially) were like VA and made detectors a violation... Not that they work anyway but it would be fun yanking someone's V-1 and watching them :cryying:
NyteByte got it Right in his post. But thanks for your candid response.

Lawman85

Banned
PlatinumCobra said:
So I have another question:

Do any of you law enforcement officers own a radar detector? :poke:

(Don't answer this if you are uncomfortable with the question...)

I used to own a Whistler, don't remember which model, back in 94. After getting a speeding ticket I threw it away. I am now an instructor for radar/laser and understand the equipment a whole lot better, and I wouldn't waiste my money on one. I still stop and cite many people with detectors and I know how to shoot a car without activating one. That's just my .02 since you asked.

zen

Established Member
Best radar detectors:

-V1 w/pop2 v3.824
-Passport 8500 x50 rev11
-Bell rx65

Best laser jammers
- Laser Mimic
- Blinder M-20
Add VEIL for more protection

TOC

Established Member
Lawman85 said:
I know how to shoot a car without activating one.

Please explain how this is done exactly. I'd be interested in knowing this technique.

Also be interested to know what is the effective vector angle limits of typical radar unit (at what angle to the direct path of the vehicle can you accurately measure a vehicles speed before the angle of converging radar beam/vehicle begin to affect the accuracy of the speed reading as displayed on the radar unit).

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
TOC said:
Please explain how this is done exactly. I'd be interested in knowing this technique.

Also be interested to know what is the effective vector angle limits of typical radar unit (at what angle to the direct path of the vehicle can you accurately measure a vehicles speed before the angle of converging radar beam/vehicle begin to affect the accuracy of the speed reading as displayed on the radar unit).

If you're refering to the cosine angle effect... go sit through the 40+ hours of classroom we all had to do. I don't know why everyone (the public) thinks radar is some 5 minutes course. A very simple answer.... any angle greater than 0 degrees is in the motorists favor.

Last edited:

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
OhOneSnake said:
. Trainees don't have credentials, and for some reason always act the fool when they go out in town.

Its like a convoy of people going 15-18 mph over, then one brave soul will come along who wants to be in front, and then you'll see him pulled over.

Isn't that the truth!

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
OhOneSnake said:
I'm amazed at how I can go 18mph over the limit past numerous state Police and they just sit there. They all wait for that magic 20mph violator to nail for wreckless driving.

Or maybe it's because you are driving a decent car that they can see in and see a decent looking individual and they don't get that chubby they get from a POS with GA tags on it and limo tint on the windows.

That being said... I don't profile cars :nono: I do make pretext stops on a routine basis though.

Last edited:

Lawman85

Banned
TOC said:

As Trooper4985 stated, anything over 0degs shows a lower speed. The rule we teach is 10' off the road for every 100' shot down the roadway, will give you the most accurate readings.

If I'm using laser I only have to shoot low on the headlight/front bumper, or tail lights and tag, and if your within 700', the detector will not go off.... I have tested it and demonstrated it in class several times.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
As Trooper4985 stated, anything over 0degs shows a lower speed. The rule we teach is 10' off the road for every 100' shot down the roadway, will give you the most accurate readings.

If I'm using laser I only have to shoot low on the headlight/front bumper, or tail lights and tag, and if your within 700', the detector will not go off.... I have tested it and demonstrated it in class several times.

That's excellent information. :beer:

Makes sense, too.

TOC

Established Member
Lawman85 said:

Thanks, the information is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread