Better weekend toy/roll racer - 2014 750rwhp Whippled GT500 or 2018 850rwhp Whippled GT350?

Streetpwr281

Established Member
I’m beginning to get serious Mustang withdrawals having sold my modded 2013 GT500 back in March 2019. I daily drove that car despite it having 780rwhp but now I have a company provided daily driver and my Mustang will be exclusively for Car Meets, spirited weekend driving, occasionally roll racing, and maybe a recreational 1/2 mile event at some point.

Which car do you think I would enjoy more given those uses? The GT350 w 5.2 has higher rpm limits and peakier max hp while the larger 5.8 gives broader tq curve. No drag strip use intended. Option #3 would be to build a 92/93 fox coupe spending $30k - $40k for modern powertrain w poweradder, big brakes, susp, wheels, etc

Thoughts? Which would be most enjoyable? Which would cost less over a 5yr period from purchase through resale driving maybe 1000 miles per year max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
I’m beginning to get serious Mustang withdrawals having sold my modded 2013 GT500 back in March 2019. I daily drove that car despite it having 780rwhp but now I have a company provided daily driver and my Mustang will be exclusively for Car Meets, spirited weekend driving, occasionally roll racing, and maybe a recreational 1/2 mile event at some point.

Which car do you think I would enjoy more given those uses? The GT350 w 5.2 has higher rpm limits and peakier max hp while the larger 5.8 gives broader tq curve. No drag strip use intended. Option #3 would be to build a 92/93 fox coupe spending $30k - $40k for modern powertrain w poweradder, big brakes, susp, wheels, etc

Thoughts? Which would be most enjoyable? Which would cost less over a 5yr period from purchase through resale driving maybe 1000 miles per year max.

Really depends on your goals....

I assume the GT350 has a little more tech inside the cab.

The GT500 is gonna have more Torque down low... who doesn’t love Low End Grunt?

A Fox body will probably give you the most bang for your buck.

I can tell you this, I get just as many thumbs ups and stares and waves from people when I’m in my 1993 Lightning as I do in the 14 Shelby.

So I think the answer is, “which ever car you feel fits you the best...”

Streetpwr281

Established Member
I bet that Whippled 5.2 Voodoo would sound AMAZING with LTH and after market exhaust.

Would be something I'd consider selling my 2013 for 1 day.

It is intriguing to try the SC’d GT350 route having had a modded 2013 prior. Although I never had cams and would love a nicely modded Gen 5 Whipple 3.8L equipped 2014 GT500 with some street-able camshafts. Just costly cause at that point a built shortblock is pretty necessary.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
So what you thinking about doing, which way you leaning.
Can't go wrong with either tbh!!

I think I’m going to remain open minded to a GT350 or GT500 and keep shopping until I see just the right highly/properly modded low mileage version for sale between now and Christmas. I won’t be buying a stock one this time around and building from scratch. Very expensive route from my prior experiences. Have no issue changes a couple of things to my liking but I want something 90% done and sorted out.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a solid plan, and one that will help ensure you don't over-pay on either one. You'll be happy with either choice IMO.

RBB

Established Member
Either would be awesome, but I'd probably go with the Whippled GT350. You've been there and done that with the GT500, so why not try something new?

My only concern with the GT350 would be mechanical issues. I haven't really followed that platform too closely, but how are they holding up to forced induction? You can't go wrong with the GT500 in that area, as they're pretty much bulletproof up to 750-800hp with the common mods.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Of the two I would pick the 350, no question.

That said I would think really hard about it. I have put a lot of thought into a whippled or TTd 350 and cannot get comfortable with an FI voodoo. Of the two I would probably go with the TT to avoid the stress on the crank which may be worth considering given FPC. Confirm this but I believe the 2020s use the predator block which has longer head studs. Nonetheless, from what I can tell there is no difference between the earlier and later vintage voodoos as it relates to trouble. Some shit the bed and some are fine and it seems totally random.

Personally for me I decided that the 350 was a lot to pay for what you get and I think I will go with a C7Z instead.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Of the two I would pick the 350, no question.

That said I would think really hard about it. I have put a lot of thought into a whippled or TTd 350 and cannot get comfortable with an FI voodoo. Of the two I would probably go with the TT to avoid the stress on the crank which may be worth considering given FPC. Confirm this but I believe the 2020s use the predator block which has longer head studs. Nonetheless, from what I can tell there is no difference between the earlier and later vintage voodoos as it relates to trouble. Some shit the bed and some are fine and it seems totally random.

Personally for me I decided that the 350 was a lot to pay for what you get and I think I will go with a C7Z instead.

Sounds like you definitely need a clutch upgrade, safe tuning, OPG’s/Crank Gear, and E85 to run 800rwhp+ “safely” on the voodoo 5.2L. Of course don’t abuse the car and beat it before warmed up, bounce rev limiter, etc, etc. I know how to treat a high horsepower streetcar to make it last so doubt would be an issue. Cost probably ~ $60k for a used Whippled low mileage 2018/2019 GT350. Probably get a similar 13/14 GT500 for ~ $50k. I have the impression that the GT500 may hold its value better keeping low mileage. Maybe?

Streetpwr281

Established Member
I like option #3. Sounds way more fun and iconic.

Yeah could be ideal but finding the right built 92/93 coupe is extremely difficult in the current environment. I would be willing to pay $25k - $35k for a legit/built turnkey 700rwhp+ streetcar if I could find it. Plus I’m not an auto guy so has to be T56 or minimum Tremec 3550. Building it from a roller would cost even more, again, having gone down such a path in prior life. Would be bad ass though. Hell, a built Voodoo 5.2L w Whipple in a fox coupe would be

fearthesnake

Established Member
I think I’m going to remain open minded to a GT350 or GT500 and keep shopping until I see just the right highly/properly modded low mileage version for sale between now and Christmas. I won’t be buying a stock one this time around and building from scratch. Very expensive route from my prior experiences. Have no issue changes a couple of things to my liking but I want something 90% done and sorted out.

Now that I think about it more, would prefer the 350 with FI. IMO, blend of perfect street/Strip/Track car!

Maybe 1 day I'll sell mine for that Combo but right now isn't the best time for me.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
as far as resale value goes i would think the fox would be waaaaaay behind the other two. ive seen guys poor tons of money into foxes and get back just a fraction of it.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
as far as resale value goes i would think the fox would be waaaaaay behind the other two. ive seen guys poor tons of money into foxes and get back just a fraction of it.

Hmmmm interesting. Given the market demand and seemingly minimal supply of mint fox coupe resto mods I was thinking the opposite. Prices only seem to be going higher and quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread