BilletFlow IRS DIFF COVER BRACE

dougwg

Established Member
I get more in all the time... but my welder has a hard time keeping up... But he's a great welder.

If you want one... CALL and place the order. If you never get in line, you can't get on the ride.

Fuxton

Established Member
Ok thanks. I was just checking because your website said you were out of stock. I'll be calling to order soon.

Vox

Master of Oversteer
Established Member
Put mine in last night... I wouldn't let anyone tell you its a 20 min job but if you take your time its not that bad. Of course mine needed to have every single hole followed through with the tap. :poke:

Why do they even come in colors? You can't see the thing so who cares!? Mine would be pink and you would never know! :)

Cottonmouth

Established Member
Vox said:
Put mine in last night... I wouldn't let anyone tell you its a 20 min job but if you take your time its not that bad. Of course mine needed to have every single hole followed through with the tap. :poke:
QUOTE]
Vox, I may finally go and put mine on in the next couple of days. Did you have your car on a lift or did you use a jack and stands? If it was the latter, any tips to keep in mind? I have been told to at least remove the passenger side CB exhaust, picked up some ratchet wrenches. Anything else?

cobra04972tx1 said:
It is steel, right? Wouldn't billet aluminum do just as well and be lighter?

I saw M/B's cheap copy of the real deal and I can say this....If the stock piece is alum. and this is alum. (billit or not) it will be craked in half just the the cover would be in a failure. No alum. on earth is as strong as steel!.

Vox

Master of Oversteer
Established Member
Cottonmouth said:
Vox said:
QUOTE]
Vox, I may finally go and put mine on in the next couple of days. Did you have your car on a lift or did you use a jack and stands? If it was the latter, any tips to keep in mind? I have been told to at least remove the passenger side CB exhaust, picked up some ratchet wrenches. Anything else?

Thats pretty much it. I did mine on the floor with ramps. The passenger side CB has to come off and ratcheting wrenches really made it alot easier. Other than that, use the jack to get the 2 big bolts into the mount. Those were a PIA but just keep adjusting with the jack.

silvercoffin

Established Member
info

How do you install this without breaking the seal? You have to take the bolts out of the diff right? Won't that break the silicone seal that keeps our gear oil from leaking out? Does everyone realize that there is no gasket? just a bead of silicone keeping our oil in.

OR you can break the seal just enough to start a slow leak couldnt you?

My rear is leaking for the second time..with only 13,000 miles on the car. This time the bolts are still tight, but the silicone seal is falling out and appears to have been all pulled to one side. Last time several bolts could be turned by hand they were so loose.

dougwg

Established Member
silvercoffin said:
How do you install this without breaking the seal? You have to take the bolts out of the diff right? Won't that break the silicone seal that keeps our gear oil from leaking out? Does everyone realize that there is no gasket? just a bead of silicone keeping our oil in.

OR you can break the seal just enough to start a slow leak couldnt you?

My rear is leaking for the second time..with only 13,000 miles on the car. This time the bolts are still tight, but the silicone seal is falling out and appears to have been all pulled to one side. Last time several bolts could be turned by hand they were so loose.

your diff is leaking now...you should remove the diff, re-seal it, and install the brace. Then re-install the diff into the car..

I know it's more work then you might want to do, but it's the RIGHT WAY TO DO IT.

Don't try to cheat, do it right the first time!

silvercoffin

Established Member

yeah i know..

The reason I brought that up is because I am getting my rear diff resealed friday, but in July I plan on getting my entire IRS beefed up including the brace...so I was wondering if I would be spending money on the same job twice...know what i mean? if they end up resealing the rear diff again when I get all the work done later this summer.. I was debating whether I could just keep racing the car with a slow leak in the diff. I checked the bolts..they arent loose...just the seal is broken...

regardless...i am keeping my appointment for friday to get the rear diff fixed....i asked the shop about the brace but i doubt they will get one in time to install it... then in july I am most likely getting level two half shafts,a pinion snubber and the brace...

I am wondering why the shop I am using for the axles was so quick to recommend level twos as oppsed to level fives????

dougwg

Established Member
I would have them install the brace right now when you do the re-seal...make sure they use the grey sealant... forgot the part number but it's like A-31 or something..

it's insurance.... what if between now and then you pop the cover?... money for the new cover, tow bill, without your car while it's being fixed etc:

throw it on and not have to worry about it

Laxpaint5

Established Member
Does anyone knowone know if anyone makes a gasket for the differential as opposed to just a silicone seal. Mine is leaking for the 4th time now. I have the brace and I am still getting a leak. during install I might have broken the seal but I did not get any leaking that I noticed until a few weeks later. Its a slow leak but frustrating none the less.

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
Laxpaint5 said:
Mine is leaking for the 4th time now.

are you saying that yu have remove the Diff and re-sealed it 4 times?

or do you just tighten stuff up...

BlkTerminator

Established Member
dougwg said:
are you saying that yu have remove the Diff and re-sealed it 4 times?

or do you just tighten stuff up...

I personally don't have the brace, but I'll be ordering one this week...probably today if you have any in stock. BUT, I'm like Laxpaint5, this will be the 4th time that my seal blew out and the 2nd time for my cover to be replaced. I've never done it because all of them but this one fell under warrenty. I was kinda curious as to if there are some instructions anywhere on how to remove the diff to reseal the cover/tq specs on the cover itself as to what the part numbers are. On all my invoices from ford it just has *replaced cover/new seal* and no part numbers :( I'm hoping the ford dealership doesn't dish out something stupid to me. The last time they replaced the cover/seal, they had my car for 3 days taking apart everything in the rear end and making sure everything was still in spec and not warped or anything and it's only been around 1100 miles since that's happened :bash: I haven't done anything stupid while getting on the car to feel wheelhop or anything, so I really don't know what's causing it?!?

Users who are viewing this thread