BMC Blown Motor Club

moncho

Established Member
This thread has been a wealth of information to this point and I'm sure will continue to be.

Thanks bull for starting this thread and all those that have contributed as well.

Cheers,
Ray

gt500vert

Established Member
This unfortunately seems to be all to common. We tested fuel from a couple of top name fuel stations and there 93 is not up to grade no pun intended. Also I wouldn't run above 17lbs of boost on gas. This was my reasoning for running a 91 octane tune and attempting to keep 93 in the tank. A small saftey margin

Thats not a bad idea at all...thanks...

phoenix64

Established Member
Boost is boost. Regardless of what compressor is making that boost. The TVS with a smaller upper and a lower and cool air and 93 octane can be a combination for detonation. Same thing applies with Whipple or Kenne Bell.

Boost is not boost, I learned that early on with an eagle talon.
28psi from the stock turbo made way less power than 18-20psi from a properly sized turbo.
Same thing is true of roots screw type superchargers.
With a smaller blower, some of the increased pressure is heat, and therefore more prone to detonation.

Van@RevanRacing

Boost is not boost, I learned that early on with an eagle talon.
28psi from the stock turbo made way less power than 18-20psi from a properly sized turbo.
Same thing is true of roots screw type superchargers.
With a smaller blower, some of the increased pressure is heat, and therefore more prone to detonation.

I don't disagree with you regarding the above underlined statement however the GT500 has an IAT2 (Inlet Ambient Temperature 2 or post intercooler air charge) sensor that measures the heat of the air after the intercooler pre-combustion chamber that based on the mapping in the tune will retard spark advance if that temperature exceeds the mapped parameter to prevent detonation. Different superchargers create different levels of heat however Ford did put protection into the engine to prevent detonation.

In the discussion within the BMC many are seeing elevated levels of boost due to the denser cool air and the IAT2 not exceeding the detonation protection level (possibly) as set forth in the tune mapping.

Now introduce the 2011+ GT500 with commanded wide bands in the front O2's along with knock sensors and you have a recipe for longevity and greater detonation prevention.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Perfect weather bad day. During a hard pull through 4th gear brothers car let go. We were out playing and he said that he was getting a slight miss from it. Changed the plugs and checked a few things out. One plug looked a little worse for wear. Out on the bridge he let me hit and was making a strong pull away. Somewhere near the top of 4th white smoke poured out the passenger pipe much heavier than the driver's side followed by dark blue smoke. (about 6 cars in front of me and stretching). Rearend slid a little then coasted off to the side of the road. Stopped traffic (many people mad at us lol) used a tow strap to pull him off the bridge. Motor won't turn over, coolant reservior empty, oil under the bottom of the car. Going to pull the motor after the 1st and survey the damage.

Has of right now looks like from what I saw the H/G let go and let water into the cyclinders. Will know more when it comes apart. He said the engine was around 6800 when it started falling off rapidly. Boost gauge did show a max of 22lbs. Normally runs around 19lbs to 20lbs. For some reason was a little on the high side but chalked it up to gauges and cold air. Will post pics on the teardown. Not a happy camper right now. He just finished telling me he was going to show me what I was missing in life on the last run. Super quite ride home to get the truck and trailor to go back and get his car.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
He just finished telling me he was going to show me what I was missing in life on the last run. Super quite ride home to get the truck and trailor to go back and get his car.

His spirit was a like broken, but he will be back. Time to make it stronger.

Have you ever posted pics of both of your cars together?

Van@RevanRacing

Perfect weather bad day. During a hard pull through 4th gear brothers car let go. We were out playing and he said that he was getting a slight miss from it. Changed the plugs and checked a few things out. One plug looked a little worse for wear. Out on the bridge he let me hit and was making a strong pull away. Somewhere near the top of 4th white smoke poured out the passenger pipe much heavier than the driver's side followed by dark blue smoke. (about 6 cars in front of me and stretching). Rearend slid a little then coasted off to the side of the road. Stopped traffic (many people mad at us lol) used a tow strap to pull him off the bridge. Motor won't turn over, coolant reservior empty, oil under the bottom of the car. Going to pull the motor after the 1st and survey the damage.

Has of right now looks like from what I saw the H/G let go and let water into the cyclinders. Will know more when it comes apart. He said the engine was around 6800 when it started falling off rapidly. Boost gauge did show a max of 22lbs. Normally runs around 19lbs to 20lbs. For some reason was a little on the high side but chalked it up to gauges and cold air. Will post pics on the teardown. Not a happy camper right now. He just finished telling me he was going to show me what I was missing in life on the last run. Super quite ride home to get the truck and trailor to go back and get his car.

Well that sucks..........Please tell me he was running some race gas and not 93 octane. What year is your brothers car?

I know you guys have been to hell and back with some stuff this year.

I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and don't be a stranger. I still enjoy our conversations.

Van

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Well that sucks..........Please tell me he was running some race gas and not 93 octane. What year is your brothers car?

I know you guys have been to hell and back with some stuff this year.

I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and don't be a stranger. I still enjoy our conversations.

Van

Thanks been busy trying to get thins sorted out with our business's and other things. He was running cam 2 (110) and wasn't lean according to his AFR gauge. His car is an 08 and the motor is about 2yrs old. Just had it tuned about 3 months ago. Hit the 860 mark and he left it at that. Was tweaking a few things trying to break his record. Car was running great and had me thinking about tinkering with mine again. Oh well that's out the window now.

I believe the H/G let go but since the block is studded don't think it should have lifted the head. I poked around under the hood once he left, looks like a broken hearted soul, and couldn't see any major damage but there is oil dripping on the garage floor. Has to be a hole somewhere. On a positive note he said when he left, all I can do is build it stronger and go for a 1,000 now.

I will check and see if I can find some pics with both of them in it. I know I have a few from some car shows, have to see if both cars are in it. Have lots of footage with us racing them every couple of weeks. Glad that we weren't recording today. Don't think he ever wants to relive that moment. Will see what L&M says after the holidays. Once we pull it apart and see whats salvagable, will know which way to go with it. To bad Santa didn't put an engine in his stocking for christmas. I'll hold off on the jokes until he's in a better mood. Merry Christmas all Van I think your about to have a big customer after the holidays. Give him sometime to get his mind right. Didn't even put the car back in the garage just left it outside.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Sorry to hear that man. I just hope that I build mine before it really needs it

Yeah but you never know when they need it. He was suppose to be safe but something gave out. Good luck with it and hope you never need it lol. Nothing worst than gauges with nothing to monitor. Man is he going to be hot with me once he comes out of his slump. Have a great holiday season.

bull3441

Established Member
what internals did he use in the build? don't you have a built motor on the stand for your car? that would be some Xmas gift to your Bro LOL.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
what internals did he use in the build? don't you have a built motor on the stand for your car? that would be some Xmas gift to your Bro LOL.

I was thinking the same thing. I can hear it now.....

"Blood is thicker than water, and I love you bro....but that's MY damn motor."

:lol1:

mustang loco

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your brother's car man,...Noticed that there's lots of talk about octane levels...Not considering this,(don't want to start a debate or anything,just what you guys think..or know) but couldn't water\meth. inj. be a cheap insurance with the octane levels?

Van@RevanRacing

Thanks been busy trying to get thins sorted out with our business's and other things. He was running cam 2 (110) and wasn't lean according to his AFR gauge. His car is an 08 and the motor is about 2yrs old. Just had it tuned about 3 months ago. Hit the 860 mark and he left it at that. Was tweaking a few things trying to break his record. Car was running great and had me thinking about tinkering with mine again. Oh well that's out the window now.

I believe the H/G let go but since the block is studded don't think it should have lifted the head. I poked around under the hood once he left, looks like a broken hearted soul, and couldn't see any major damage but there is oil dripping on the garage floor. Has to be a hole somewhere. On a positive note he said when he left, all I can do is build it stronger and go for a 1,000 now.

I will check and see if I can find some pics with both of them in it. I know I have a few from some car shows, have to see if both cars are in it. Have lots of footage with us racing them every couple of weeks. Glad that we weren't recording today. Don't think he ever wants to relive that moment. Will see what L&M says after the holidays. Once we pull it apart and see whats salvagable, will know which way to go with it. To bad Santa didn't put an engine in his stocking for christmas. I'll hold off on the jokes until he's in a better mood. Merry Christmas all Van I think your about to have a big customer after the holidays. Give him sometime to get his mind right. Didn't even put the car back in the garage just left it outside.

Merry Christmas! Sounds like your brother already has a good plan in mind...........go for a 1,000 RWHP. That's the power of positive thinking!

Michael at L&M and I have put together some really nasty motors of late.

Talk to you soon.

VC

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I have a short block from L&M but it was done earlier this year. He wants to talk with them about what it can and can't take. I brought it has a replacement for mine because I was going to do a blower swap before the Z became a money pit. He's more than welcome but he want's to be sure it will serve his purpose. Not sure if it will work as well as the heavy boat anchor under the hood right now.

Not sure of the pistons but I know the motor has Carillo rods, all ARP fasteners, billet oil pump gears. I'll ask him the particulars about the motor since he wants to set the car up for engine removal this week. If the heads on his engine are still good he'll be up and running in no time but I know it will not be a quick assembly. He already believes the new name should be 1K+. I call it slower than a pinto. Soon as we tear it open will take some pics. I'm anxious to see what went wrong. It did have the factory lower pulley on it. No I.W. to cause this one. The crank was forged and nitrated by Marine Crank that I do know.

His main concern is will Aluminum block hold the HP that he is looking for and be reliable. If not it will be another steel mill under the hood. After all this I think I'm going to lower my shift points back down to 6.2-6.3 because I have been snatching 6.8K shifts and loving it.

Users who are viewing this thread