Bob's Auto Sports' - New Oil/Air Separator "Catch Can"

ctrlraven

The Birdman
Established Member
I don't own a Shelby but I think I might pick one of these up for my Marauder. My current one collects a lot but because the inlet side is in the ceiling of the can and the outlet media filter extends half way down the middle of the can I know droplets are getting sucked back up.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Here one is with the standard fittings powdercoated

Blackfittings.jpg

speedrx

Established Member
I am picking up a 2009 GT500 and considering one of these as part of the mods planned. It seems to be more of a nice to have vs. a must have, is that correct or am I missing something?

NuclearPower

Established Member
I would consider it a must have on the passenger side and a nice to have on the drivers side. This thing keeps a significant amount of oil from going into the supercharger and then down to the heat exchanger. MUST HAVE...

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
I have a JLT and it hardly captures any oil? Wish I would have done research on them. I know on my 03 cobra I got about a table spoon of oil or more with every 1k mi.

NuclearPower

Established Member
I have a JLT and it hardly captures any oil? Wish I would have done research on them. I know on my 03 cobra I got about a table spoon of oil or more with every 1k mi.

Yes, I too started with JLT and it collected barely 3 or 4 drops after 5000 miles. Just didn't work compared to the Bob's...

NuclearPower

Established Member
So I just changed the oil and drained the Bob's can.

All I can say is F&^K!!:bowdown:

I think something has changed slightly. I drained about 8 teaspoons (about 3000miles)!

I also drained it before chaning the oil and then drained again once I filled it up, so about 30 minutes drains. The first drain resulted in about 5 teaspoons and the second drain about another 3. I may have had some left from the last time I drained it. This is the first time that I have waited to drain it.

This thing is great though. Fantastic product!:dancenana:

tasdevl

Established Member
I'm wondering if anyone can explain what I'm doing wrong here - got the catch can today, followed the instructions to take out the ground wire bolt, bent the tab, used the longer bolt to put the can mount and wire on top of it back in, but clearance seems to be a problem. I have about 1/8" between the can and the engine, but the valve at the bottom is jammed against the A/C line below (I'm guessing it's an A/C line) and isn't openable. Hope this image explains it, and hoping someone can explain what I can do to fix it. (I have a 2012 if that helps). I've read back through this whole thread but haven't really seen anyone have the same issue.

8004692005_0ff3c0614d.jpg

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
I'm wondering if anyone can explain what I'm doing wrong here - got the catch can today, followed the instructions to take out the ground wire bolt, bent the tab, used the longer bolt to put the can mount and wire on top of it back in, but clearance seems to be a problem. I have about 1/8" between the can and the engine, but the valve at the bottom is jammed against the A/C line below (I'm guessing it's an A/C line) and isn't openable. Hope this image explains it, and hoping someone can explain what I can do to fix it. (I have a 2012 if that helps). I've read back through this whole thread but haven't really seen anyone have the same issue.

I just installed mine this past weekend and had no problem at all. Mine did not look like that.

NuclearPower

Established Member
tasdevl...I too have a 2012 and had same issue as you. When I first installed it I needed to rotate all the fitting in order to get it to function right. I had to turn the brass fitting a little and the drain valve about 90 degrees. No big deal just do it slow and you will be okay. As for the AC line. Make sure that you do not let it touch the line. I did and now have a small nick in the rubber where the drain fitting was rubbing against the AC line.

It fits and works great! Just work with it a little...

tasdevl

Established Member
NuclearPower - cheers, will give it a shot! I didn't realize I could rotate the drain valve, I can see how that would help with clearance. :beer:

san6279

Established Member

I copied what another poster suggested. Thought it was in this thread, but maybe not. 2012 also. Bottom line is you place both steel tabs on the bottom of the piece they attach to, not the top. Align the Bob's bracket hole with the rear hole, not the front one. Use the supplied bolt top down thru the bracket. Believe I bought a new screw for the front tab. That bolt is installed from the bottom, holds the tab in place, and with the use of a couple washers can be tightened without interfering with the Bob's bracket above. Really hope I explained that well enough. This pulls the CC farther away from the motor and provides a little more space to work with.

tasdevl

Established Member
Thanks guys, got it installed, and seems to clear everything now. Looking forward to collecting plenty of oil!

NuclearPower

Established Member
So I noticed today when I was draining the can that the upper hose was very soft. Decided to take it off and have a look inside. Damn is all I can say. The hose must have been defective because It looked and felt like it was pealing apart. Almost like a hose within a hose. Had some left over from the initial install and back to new.

Also decided to drain it after about 2000 miles. Got about 3 tablespoons. This thing is like the perfect wifey. Open it up and it is ready, willing, and ever giving!:dancenana:

Users who are viewing this thread