Bob's Auto Sports' - New Oil/Air Separator "Catch Can"

6-Speed

Established Member
Regular vacuum or heater hose will deteriorate when exposed to oil. Best to use hose that's made to handle oil such as fuel hose.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
tasdevl...I too have a 2012 and had same issue as you. When I first installed it I needed to rotate all the fitting in order to get it to function right. I had to turn the brass fitting a little and the drain valve about 90 degrees. No big deal just do it slow and you will be okay. As for the AC line. Make sure that you do not let it touch the line. I did and now have a small nick in the rubber where the drain fitting was rubbing against the AC line.

It fits and works great! Just work with it a little...

Who makes a solution that works for the 2012's without having to modify what you get?

Crowley

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Just an update for everyone. The firewall production brackets are almost ready. And we will be having some new colors soon too. I have 1 red carbon fiber can coming in and 1 blue one to test check out and post up here. If response is high enough I will make a batch! :)

Any updates on the Blue? I'd want to try to come close to the Kona Blue. Or..and I thought I saw you did but, maybe I'm seeing things...black anodized?

Let me know...Thanks!

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Here is the blue one. Anyone that wants one done in a custom color can have me drop shipped the standard brushed finish one to Brian.

BlueCFBobsoilseparator.jpg

Me too, but once on a car with the hose on it doesn't look so big. The ones I just ordered aren't the barb push on, but the type with the screw head (if that makes sense) and look smaller. I will get some pictures of them installed on my car once they are in.

I found the pic of the blue one! I sent you a PM and will hang with the one I mentioned in my PM! Thanks!

NuclearPower

Established Member
Who makes a solution that works for the 2012's without having to modify what you get?

Crowley

You could buy the JLT it is truely plug and play, but doesn't work very well for the 5.4 (in my opinion).

And rotating the fittings is not that big a deal. Get a cresent and rotate a couple of degrees.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
You could buy the JLT it is truely plug and play, but doesn't work very well for the 5.4 (in my opinion).

And rotating the fittings is not that big a deal. Get a cresent and rotate a couple of degrees.

Thanks for the input!

Crowley

E.Marquez

Established Member
Thanks for the input!

Crowley

I may have asked aready.. but where in TX are you at? If close, I'd be happy to assist in the install of a Bob's CC.. with his supplied fittings and lines, or a custom set up. It's a very simple to do, and modify as needed for fit .

NuclearPower

Established Member
I may have asked aready.. but where in TX are you at? If close, I'd be happy to assist in the install of a Bob's CC.. with his supplied fittings and lines, or a custom set up. It's a very simple to do, and modify as needed for fit .

For that matter, same here. I'm south of Houston....

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
I dont want to directly compare to JLT. It is also a great unit and a great forum supporter. I hope to one day do as much for the mustang community as Jay has done.

So just talking about mine, it has a large collection area, so doesnt need to be drained often. When it does you just open a valve, very easy.

The inlet in the bottom forces air through all the media and the contaminated air is not able to travel up to the outlet fitting. From my research this bottom to top method offers the best filtration. Also the entire bottom is filled with media, not just a small element filter, so more to grab oil.

Being remote mounted is also important. The lines are 5/8" ID and this allows the air to slow down by the time it hits the filter so it gets filtered better.

Regarding looks, very subjective. Install time is 20 minutes max for anyone that has ever held a wrench.

Most of the contamination on the gt500s is on pass side. I can make for drivers side though if enough demand.

Other similar remote unit with valve on bottom are over $150 plus shipping and dont filter as good as mine. :beer:

I hope i have answered your questions.

too bad theres not an easy way to route a hose from the bottom of the filter back to the oil pan. would make draining it a non issue.

GM ran that exact setup [bottom to top ] on the Quad4 and it was extremely reliable and clean.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Looks like I'll be swapping my JLT for a Bob's over the winter :beer:

I don't think the firewall mount will work with my battery cover.
IMG_2418-Edit.jpg

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Thanks Van! It's been a really fun first year at Bob's auto sports, and with your support and giving a chance to "the new guy" in the scene! I wouldn't be this far along with RevanRacing!

Adharley

Established Member
Ordered mine a couple days ago. CF with no fittings. I plan on building the worlds most expensive catch can:rockon:

AN fittings and black braided hose.

Question, does it come with the drain petcock or do I need to get my own?

jaiasmit

Established Member
It seems like most are just putting the catch can on one side. If I do, which side is the best, passenger or driver's side. I'm thinking passenger's, but want to make sure I order the right thing.

Users who are viewing this thread