Bone stock 03 Cobra vs 2011 GT

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Zyborg your car runs hard, and I believe you when you say what you got done. I don't think your car is a "freak" I think it just runs the way it should and you got the driver mod.

As for your races with those Cobras, there are a lot of factors. First of all the heat, not sure if you guys are racing in like 90 degree heat but a Cobra will get heat soaked FAST after back to back runs. Second is the driver, and 3rd is the running condition of the Cobra. Stock clutch? Supporting mods? Cooling mods?

The ported cobra is mine, it was warm that day but not to bad. My mod list is in my sig. He's beaten alot of cobras, not just mine, hes got a video of a pullied one that he put bus lengths on!

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
The ported cobra is mine, it was warm that day but not to bad. My mod list is in my sig. He's beaten alot of cobras, not just mine, hes got a video of a pullied one that he put bus lengths on!

That's cool man, I've just had way different results, that's all..:beer:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I've got a sterling gray 2011 w auto on order. I plan to do some stuff w it and will vid every mod I put on vs my 03 on and off the nitrous. May take a lil while but you guys will see. :rockon:

03snakeminated

Established Member
I've got a sterling gray 2011 w auto on order. I plan to do some stuff w it and will vid every mod I put on vs my 03 on and off the nitrous. May take a lil while but you guys will see. :rockon:
hopefully you won't be dissapointed, but carry on brother :beer: interisting to know your findings w/e the time comes

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
That's cool man, I've just had way different results, that's all..:beer:

lol I know what you meant, I was just saying. I have no problem losing I mean shit happens, I dont like it but I accept it! I've beaten him to, it just depended the day :shrug:

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Zyborg your car runs hard, and I believe you when you say what you got done. I don't think your car is a "freak" I think it just runs the way it should and you got the driver mod.

As for your races with those Cobras, there are a lot of factors. First of all the heat, not sure if you guys are racing in like 90 degree heat but a Cobra will get heat soaked FAST after back to back runs. Second is the driver, and 3rd is the running condition of the Cobra. Stock clutch? Supporting mods? Cooling mods?

I've raced a full bolt-on / G5X3 03 Z06 and we were nearly dead nuts even.. He was making 43Xrwhp.

I raced an intake / catback Z06 and it wasn't even close. :shrug: I pulled at least 4 cars and I've raced and talk to the guy several times. I got a ported blower, full exhaust, cooling mods, clutch, etc..

It looked a lot like this

YouTube- 03' cobra vs 04' z06

Anyways, back to the ORIGINAL TOPIC OF THIS THREAD.

I disagree man. The 2011 GT is actually lighter than an 03-04 Cobra. Anywhere from 3550lbs to 3600lbs for a coupe.

Second, while 03-04 Cobras can be underrated the new GT is rated higher, (22hp more at the crank). The new GTs dyno anywhere from 370rwhp+ stock with 93 octane. That's on par with an 03-04 Cobra.

Other advantages include, no factory plastic quadrant, easier to shit, less prone to heatsoak and better gearing with the 3.73 option.

Our Cobras have some advantages as well, way more power under the curve, more torque and better aerodynamics. However, aerodynamics only make a difference at very high speeds, at lower speeds they do not play a significant role, (and by lower speeds I mean >140mph).

Regardless of which is faster, I don't think it should be a slaughter either way. Both have run nearly identical 1/4 mile times.

I completely agree!

0-120mph (power:weight)
120mph + (power:aerodynamic)

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Well to be honest , i test drove the 5.0 about a week ago and was not impressed at all. Being i have a 5.0 95 gt thats blown, i would still take mine over that anyday. Coming from having to blown cars the 5.0 just didnt do it for me at all. after driving it i was like wow all the hipe and such a big let down. Just my two cents.NOTHING BEATS BEING BLOWN , LOL.

:sleeping:

You keep sniffing that exhaust... It's working wonders for you.

I've also had a blown 2002 Mustang GT that didn't hold a candle to this car.

If being BLOWN is where it's at for you, then think about what S/C ing this 5.0 would do...:uh oh:

The new 5.0 is seeing gains of between 40-60 WHP with just bolt on's alone. (Cold Air and SCT Flash/Tune). Hell, they even have this thing deep into the 11's with bolt on's, tune, 3.73's, and ET-Streets alone...

So please... you and a couple of others talking like this new 5.0 is just a pack mule... you have no clue AT ALL. You'll learn...:rockon:

wma8706

Established Member
Second, while 03-04 Cobras can be underrated the new GT is rated higher, (22hp more at the crank). The new GTs dyno anywhere from 370rwhp+ stock with 93 octane. That's on par with an 03-04 Cobra.

Other advantages include, no factory plastic quadrant, easier to shit, less prone to heatsoak and better gearing with the 3.73 option.

Our Cobras have some advantages as well, way more power under the curve, more torque and better aerodynamics. However, aerodynamics only make a difference at very high speeds, at lower speeds they do not play a significant role, (and by lower speeds I mean >140mph).

Regardless of which is faster, I don't think it should be a slaughter either way. Both have run nearly identical 1/4 mile times.

I'm sold if it's easier to shit .....:thumbsup:

03COBRA-88

Established Member
:sleeping:

If being BLOWN is where it's at for you, then think about what S/C ing this 5.0 would do...:uh oh:

Not much considering the 11.0:1 compression ratio, so I wouldn't take my chances running more than 5-6 psi. I don't how this thread turned into a pissing match. Ford did a great job when they built the new GTs.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
not much considering the 11.0:1 compression ratio, so i wouldn't take my chances running more than 5-6 psi. I don't how this thread turned into a pissing match. Ford did a great job when they built the new gts.

+1

1bad04cobra

Established Member
Not much considering the 11.0:1 compression ratio, so I wouldn't take my chances running more than 5-6 psi. I don't how this thread turned into a pissing match. Ford did a great job when they built the new GTs.

Then why is Ford offering a supercharger with at least 7psi:shrug: This car is a deep 10 sec. Ride with the supercharger in my opinion. We shall know real soon. The new improved platform is also playing a role in the 2011 GT..a far cry from the '79 Fairmont. You won't have to weld slabs of metal all over the undercarriage just to keep if from twisting like a pretzel.

Dixarect

Cobro
Established Member
I like how this is going hahahahahah, reminds me of the Fbody vs 03/04 wars, when that got old the 03/04 was compared to c5 zo6's.....

Look at how many guys are capable of trapping 113-114 in a stock cobra? My stock 03 went 12.44@114 bonestock back in 2003 down to stock tires, and paper filter. Not ALOT of people produced those results, Im not cocky but I will step out on a limb and say I can drive with the best of them, and better than most. I can probably count them on both hands that ran in the low 12's 100% BONESTOCK. I thru some DR's, upper pulley, filter, tune with xpipe, and catback on my car and was running 11.20's 2 months later. Still now those are impressive results, and ABOVE average.

On the flipside, all these mags, and cracked out tuners are posting up better than average results trapping in the 113+ area with these 5.0's, so people come on the boards and rice up the 5.0's thinking they are 115mph cars bonestock, and 120 with a tune or catack. Hell even some of these shops have NMRA factory stock racers driving for them. The same thing happened with 03/04 came out and left alot of the average joe's scratching their head also. I have seen 2 5.0's at the track owned by prior 03/04 owners now, and they have all trapped 107-109. I would venture to say average drivers with clean shifts. What does this say? Not a damn thing......I wouldnt mind having a couple of passes in one myself.

Truth of the matter is, there are very few drivers who can actually produce these earth shattering results whether its in a bonestock 03/04 or 5.0.

Nice kill to OP, keep it stock, it goes to hell after that hahahah

:beer::beer:

Naturesmistake

Established Member
Cool story bro. Awesome fly by. No honking it off, just go when the other guy was probably laughing and didn't want a ticket. Lol at 5.0 haters. It's a better all around car than a Cobra with its sketchy ass suspension and its small ass heat soaking blower. Deal with it. Any of us that bought a 5.0 could have had a Terminator. The GT bashing on this site is really stupid and is out of hand. Get over yourselves.

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
:beer::beer:

Cool story bro. Awesome fly by. No honking it off, just go when the other guy was probably laughing and didn't want a ticket. Lol at 5.0 haters. It's a better all around car than a Cobra with its sketchy ass suspension and its small ass heat soaking blower. Deal with it. Any of us that bought a 5.0 could have had a Terminator.

Nice guys bringing back a thread that has been dead for 3 years...oh wait now I am doing it...

04nccobra

Established Member
I've had a stock 04 Cobra, and a 12 GT in a short period of time. I will say my opinion is the Cobra is the faster vehicle. The torque curve of the Cobra is beautiful even when stock.

QuickC5Z

Established Member
I seen a bone stock 03/04 Cobra run 1 mph and 1 tenth faster than a bone stock 2012 California special. The owners came to the track together, and the owner if the CS was driving both cars. I dont think you can do a better comparison than that.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Cool story bro. Awesome fly by. No honking it off, just go when the other guy was probably laughing and didn't want a ticket. Lol at 5.0 haters. It's a better all around car than a Cobra with its sketchy ass suspension and its small ass heat soaking blower. Deal with it. Any of us that bought a 5.0 could have had a Terminator. The GT bashing on this site is really stupid and is out of hand. Get over yourselves.

Lol at you in general. I have had three terminators and now a 5.0. I had zero problems out of my stock or ported Eatons but my KB 2.2 ran hotter than Hades. Also had no issues with the suspension. You didn't ever actually own one did you?

For the record, I love both.

Users who are viewing this thread