Bought a car, guy wont ship title??

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
I need a lil help or info here. I bought a car about 7 weeks ago, and it had a lien on it. So we had to go to the bank and pay off the car and the bank said the title would take about 3 weeks to come in and would have to be sent to the previous owner and he would have to sign it and he then would have to send to me. Well the owner keeps claiming he hasn't received the title yet after almost 2 months and now seems to be avoiding me for what ever reason??? No he wont answer his phone and is being extremely difficult. I'm really not sure what to do here, i just want to get my car registered and insured so I can drive it!! But for now its just a hunk of metal in my garage... So how do I go about this?? Just keep waiting to see if the title eventually shows up?

Last edited:

SFVBlueMach

Established Member
Is there a bill of sale? If not, then you could be in deep trouble if he decides not to give you the title and have it reported stolen. If there is a bill of sale then I would contact the bank and see where that title is.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I would contact that bank to see if they sent the title out yet. Sounds like he's being shady. If they sent it out at least a week ago I'd go to that guys house and try to talk with him in person. Could always go to your local police station and report him as long as you have a bill of sale. :shrug:

Quik Z06

Established Member
You need to do something about this asap instead of waiting around for him. I don't see why he needed to sign the title anyway it wasn't his car to begin with. If the title was sent straight from the bank/dmv it wouldn't need to be signed by him. Only way he would need to sign the title is if he actually had it in hand (as in didn't have a lien to begin with) I bought a Vette from IL and shipped it to CA that had a lien on it, the owner never seen the title we sent a note stating I had possession of the car and that the title was to be sent directly to me. Matter of fact, I did the same thing when I bought my R1 and the title never went to the previous owner. Please tell me you have a bill of sale!!

Last

Established Member
Is there a bill of sale? If not, then you could be in deep trouble if he decides not to give you the title and have it reported stolen. If there is a bill of sale then I would contact the bank and see where that title is.

I would love for that to happen and then the seller go to prison

lilphillysvt

tommyguns
Established Member
i bought a car a few years back that had a lien on it, went to the bank paid it off. it took about a month in a half for them to send the last owner the title then i had to go get it from him. luckly it was only a hour drive from me to the seller. hope the situation works out for you.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
You need to do something about this asap instead of waiting around for him. I don't see why he needed to sign the title anyway it wasn't his car to begin with. If the title was sent straight from the bank/dmv it wouldn't need to be signed by him. Only way he would need to sign the title is if he actually had it in hand (as in didn't have a lien to begin with) I bought a Vette from IL and shipped it to CA that had a lien on it, the owner never seen the title we sent a note stating I had possession of the car and that the title was to be sent directly to me. Matter of fact, I did the same thing when I bought my R1 and the title never went to the previous owner. Please tell me you have a bill of sale!!

Titles are typically in the person's name and just identified with a lien on it in an additional area. Thus the owner needs to transfer the title by filling out the appropriate section on the title.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Since you both went to the bank to pay off the lien, then I assume the seller is within driving distance of you. If he won't return your calls, pay him a personal visit and ask where the title is. If he refuses to discuss it or claims he hasn't received the title yet, then ask him to go to the bank with you and find out why the bank hasn't sent it out yet. It is remotely possible he hasn't received it yet through a bank error or a post office error. Remotely possible. The bank can give you your options at that point, with you both there. Hopefully this is something that can be easily resolved, but I think you're going to have to be more proactive. Best of luck.

turnpike_cruise

4.10's FTMFW
Established Member
When I bought my car, it took over 2 months to get the title. The owner had a lien on it from the bank. I sent the money to the bank myself. Unfortunately, the bank was a bunch of morons and had lost tht title. I would contact the bank, if they will talk to you. Hopefully you have a bill of sale. If the bank talks to you, let them know your next step is to talk with your attorney. This will motivate them to move faster.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
well I have been in this issue before. its not a fun thing to deal with. First off, you better have a bill of sale and PROOF you own the vehicle. save every text, record every phone convo, take notes, ect.

you need to call the bank. the bank is supposed to mail the title to whoever pays off the lein, not the titled owner. now I have paid off peoples leins and the bank still mails the title to the owner (even after i called and verified, they said I would get the title) they mailed it to the owner, which he mailed it right to me.

you need to call the police and get them involved asap before the guy says anything about it. he can call the police and report it stolen and your out. you need to strike first. you also need to call the bank and find out exactly what day they mailed the title, tracking number, ect to prove he recieved the title.

usually once you contact the cops and they make a call to him, he will get scared and hand over the title. If not, be prepared for a LONG time sitting inthe garage.

goodluck op

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i always do a bill of sale even if its handwritten. i do SSN, DL,ADDRESS, everything, then we both sign in case. any documentation is better than none, i don't trust anyone.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member

Stop giving bad information.

The bank has a lien on a vehicle for collateral purposes. The person who holds that car/titled in their name still owns the vehicle and has the power to transfer the vehicle, but that wont be approved by the DMV until the lien is lifted from the vehicle's title. When the lien is paid off it goes to the owner unless someone else has purchased the lien from the bank and now holds it as collateral. On the reverse side of a title you would notice multiple sections of information needed for the buyer and seller/signature requirements that must be filled out for insurance purposes as well as for taxes on the purchase, registration and re-titling.

Last edited:

Quik Z06

Established Member
Stop giving bad information.

The bank has a lien on a vehicle for collateral purposes. The person who holds that car/titled in their name still owns the vehicle and has the power to transfer the vehicle, but that wont be approved by the DMV until the lien is lifted from the vehicle's title. When the lien is paid off it goes to the owner unless someone else has purchased the lien from the bank and now holds it as collateral. On the reverse side of a title you would notice multiple sections of information needed for the buyer and seller/signature requirements that must be filled out for insurance purposes as well as for taxes on the purchase, registration and re-titling.

How is it bad information? I've done it twice from buyers that still owed on them and the title went straight to me NOT to the seller first. I'd be pissed if I paid off their loan and the title went to them, and I had to hope they sign it and send it to me.

M3xpress

Established Member
I'd definitely contact the bank and see what they've done on their end.

I've only bought a car with a lien on it once, but I was able to go down to the bank with the previous owner, pay it off/buy it, and get the title all in one transaction.

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member

Well, normally what happens is that if the vehicle has been financed, the person(s) name(s) would be on the title but the bank would be listed as the lien holder. This is because the owner still owes the lien holder money for the vehicle.
Once the vehicle is PIF (Paid in Full) the Lien Holder would stamp/sign in teh appropiate area verifying the debt has been satisified and the Buyer(s) would be the owners of the vehicle.
THe reason why the owner must sign the title is because technically they are the owners and without a signature from them the new buyer cannot have the title put in his/her name

Now I'm hoping when the OP paid off the vehicle, he made some sort of note in teh memo field stating (paid off vehicle for my purchase) or something to that nature
Or at least, stay in contact with the bank, to get some type of address or something where the title was sent to.
It would have made more sense if the bank mailed YOU the title directly, then you make a photo copy of it. Them mail the original to the owner to sign it and mail it back.
That way you can have some type of proof or something.

But as long as you have some type of receipt of the purchase, you shouldn't be TOTALLY screwed and have some ammunition in case it goes to court

GOOD LUCK

you need to call the bank. the bank is supposed to mail the title to whoever pays off the lein, not the titled owner. now I have paid off peoples leins and the bank still mails the title to the owner (even after i called and verified, they said I would get the title) they mailed it to the owner, which he mailed it right to me.

The reason why is becaue they must send it to the owners name & address on the title.
Remember, they obtained this info from the sales contract at the time of purchase.

Only way they would send the title to someone else is if the vehicle was traded in for another vehicle or something.
When trading in your old vehicle that you still owe payments on, the remaining payment are added to your new vehicle and your old one is paid off. Then you have a new bank as a lien holder.

Otherwise the title will be mailed to the owners(s) namee & address on the title which was obtained during the time of purchase.
If you have moved, The bank requires you to update your mailing info for these reasons.

Last edited:

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
Thanks for all the info, I will keep you guys posted. Also he is semi local, we both had to drive about an hour, me north him south. The car was at a buddies warehouse and thats where we met. I have no idea where the guy lives that i purchased my car from, He just said north of tampa. I hope i dont get screwed on this

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Thanks for all the info, I will keep you guys posted. Also he is semi local, we both had to drive about an hour, me north him south. The car was at a buddies warehouse and thats where we met. I have no idea where the guy lives that i purchased my car from, He just said north of tampa. I hope i dont get screwed on this

So do you not have a bill of sale????? 2 things I would never not have is a bill of sale and a copy of the persons DL. I would definately be heading down to the bank as well. Hopefully you have a copy of the check and a receipt from the bank.

Good luck!

THE_STIG

Established Member
I always get a bill of sale, even if it is something simple. When I bought my 944 I had the guy write "I (his name here) agree to sell my 1987 Porsche 944 to (my name here) for such amount."

Last edited:

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member

How do you buy a car, not get the title and not get the guys address>???
I can understand buying a car with a lien on it and not getting the title at the time of transaction but to not get the guys address is just downright silly.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
If you cant get in contact with him, go to the police. I hate scammers. Good luck, and I hope you learned something from this. Dont buy cars from people who dont have the title for it on them.

Users who are viewing this thread