C7 Zr1 splitter breaks at 160 mph...

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Maybe ur right IDN. Its not a Taurus tho its they're their top shelf Muscle car. The last thing they want is customers not buying them cause they hear the dealer isn't fixing them when they break and im sure they aint cheap.

Trim or body pieces are hard to get covered under warranty, keep in mind most dealers don't get to make that call, the manufacture does. .

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
If they do deny it, which I'm kind of thinking they will, you could take this opportunity to "upgrade" to an aluminum splitter. CF is great for wings, canards, and body panels, but should never be used as a splitter. Too brittle for that type of use. I understand when you have to build the lightest thing possible, but that is a location where structural integrity is more important.

ArabianOak

Established Member
If they do deny it, which I'm kind of thinking they will, you could take this opportunity to "upgrade" to an aluminum splitter. CF is great for wings, canards, and body panels, but should never be used as a splitter. Too brittle for that type of use. I understand when you have to build the lightest thing possible, but that is a location where structural integrity is more important.

do you have a link for one? Def interested if they deny.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Maybe ur right IDN. Its not a Taurus tho its they're their top shelf Muscle car. The last thing they want is customers not buying them cause they hear the dealer isn't fixing them when they break and im sure they aint cheap.

I would agree with you, the manufacture and the dealer both want customers to continue buying the cars for sure. I'm just pointing out if dealers warranty items the manufacture can and will ask to receive the part back, if they deem it not warranty then they charge back the dealer for the part and labor. I have no idea how much that part costs but I know the dealer would hate to be on the hook for it. The majority of time the dealer wants to repair your vehicle under warranty, hell we still get paid off it, but its gotta be legitimate or dealers can get screwed out of a lot of money.

Being a service advisor I deal with claims on a day to day basis, I'm just offering a dealers perspective, not to mention my boss would chew my ass if I pushed through a warranty claim we weren't 100% certain on lol.

OP after thinking about it I would take it to the selling dealer and explain the situation, again leaving out the speed part of it. See if they will warranty it, for all I know they might want to make a customer happy and will just eat the cost upfront and avoid warranty all together. If not, call corporate and explain the situation, no need to be an ass, just explain you thought it would be warranty since you did not hit anything. A lot of times all it takes is for someone higher up to give the dealer authorization to warranty something, that covers the dealer for a chargeback. I've handled hundreds of claims that we get a call directly from corporate and usually its stuff that definitely should not be warranty, or the warranty is already expired but the manufacture wants to please the customer so they send it through.

Again, good luck

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Thats crazy OP, what if it was damaged prior? Those cars have a great top speed. I think the low wing can do 212mph or something like that.

ArabianOak

Established Member
after chatting on the vette forum it looks like it has happened to others...apparently during PDI a center brace can be left out of install on the front splitter...grrrr...i will update once i learn more.

MG0h3

Established Member
after chatting on the vette forum it looks like it has happened to others...apparently during PDI a center brace can be left out of install on the front splitter...grrrr...i will update once i learn more.

This sounds like the most likely cause yet.

I’m sure there were 100s of hours of wind tunnel and track time. Yours def looks like it got torqued/twisted.

“BLM is doing God’s work”
2KblackGT

svtperformance.com mobile app

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I would tell the dealer what happened and show the video with the speed as evidence the part failed without hitting anything. There isn't a warning with the car telling you to "not exceed xxx speed" because it could damage the aero. This is GM's halo car and most powerful one to date, with a top speed of over 200mph. I could see if the car was modified and in a mile event, going over the car's factory top speed, but this happened at 160mph. Clear defect. It isn't up to the dealer to say, "well it looks like you are on a public road and exceeding the speed limit, therefore your warranty is denied." Just be honest and show them what happened, but do not send them the video or allow them to electronically copy it if you're concerned about them sharing it.

ArabianOak

Established Member
And that is what my issue is....look at pics. Dealer didn’t install center support!!!!

wtf!!! I can’t imagine warranty being denied now.

This is the piece that is supposed to be there in the center...long rod looking piece...

And here is mine...

118531148_10157868297916775_1341807763046256748_o.jpg

ArabianOak

Established Member
And that is what my issue is....look at pics. Dealer didn’t install center support!!!!

wtf!!! I can’t imagine warranty being denied now.

This is the piece that is supposed to be there in the center...long rod looking piece...

And here is mine...

118531148_10157868297916775_1341807763046256748_o.jpg

MG0h3

Established Member
Pic with support bar isn’t showing up. But glad you found the culprit.

They prob have the damn thing in the splitter box or maybe it’s in the recycle bin

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread