Circle D 4C first impressions...

bazinga11

Established Member
If you watch the video on the 4c it is almost identical to how the 5c drives in traffic but, the 5c is just a touch more aggressive when you hit it hard.

Sorry to revive this old thread guys. but lately i have been looking to get a converter as well. My 5.0 is my first automatic car, i have driven sticks all my life.

My scenario: strictly DD car that I like punching from a dead stop/getting to speed limits/smoking cars from a roll on 'mexico' streets. I live in one of top 3 three congested cities of north america - so heck lot of red lights and stop n go traffic. I do no track it all. I am looking for stock drive ability, i.e without any hiccups or jerks while I am on super mellow throttle.

Would 4C be a better option for my driving style? 5C is touch more aggressive in what sense? I have no idea about what stall to chose, would be much appreciated if someone can guide me.

bazinga11

Established Member
or if i should just stick with my stock converter and get other bolt ons. So far I only have a Steeda CAI and Lund tune.

Ps: I forgot to mention this. There's a throttle delay when I am driving (or when i am in spirited mood) in manual select shift mode. Jon Lund said he can't do much about it. Can a converter get rid of this delay I am talking about?

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
If you daily drive this car and don't even go to the track, don't bother with a converter!!! It will blow the tires off on the street with a loose convertex like a 4 or 5C.

bazinga11

Established Member
That's what I'm hoping to find some info on. I have read countless number of stall converter vs gears threads, no one ever voted for gears.

I'm running 3.15 factory gears. Should I go with 3.55 or 3.73s instead to better suit my driving style?

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
Well auto with 373 gears NA or small N20 shot up to 150 is a good combo. I had that setup for a while , then got a 4C but my power level now the 4C is too loose now I've got to send it back to tighten it up to 2C. If your gonna stay NA go 373

rotarymagic

Established Member
Are you keeping the 3.73 or going to something else? Also have you ran with the boss intake yet?

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
I'm staying 373 for now, I didn't make any passes at the track with the boss manifold. I made some 3rd gear pulls to dial in the stft and I was seeing 12% fuel distribution issue from one bank to the other so now I'm going direct port and should see my intake back from NX by the end of the week.

bazinga11

Established Member
Yes it will make a lot more low end torque but drivability is comprised, and he said he wanted stock like drivability

Yeah, exactly. I do quite a bit of city/hwy driving for work (easy 2-3 hrs/day), I would hate if its not driving smooth. I still would like to enjoy my car when I'm not in spirited mood lol

But to get a better idea, what sort of driveability issues would there be if I go with 4c?

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
The only real issue I noticed was it shifts a little firm / low rpm during the converter locking into 3rd gear. Might be a tune issue but I've had plenty of tune revisions from 4 different well know tuners and ththat's my only complaint. But to me it's no big deal

dennisn

Established Member
The only real issue I noticed was it shifts a little firm / low rpm during the converter locking into 3rd gear. Might be a tune issue but I've had plenty of tune revisions from 4 different well know tuners and ththat's my only complaint. But to me it's no big deal

I've had similar issue. Got mine corrected in the tune. Mine was so bad almost tore the trans apart thinking it was something horribly wrong.

Last edited:

SixPak

Established Member
I have decided to pull the trigger on a TC some time in March or early April.

Any chance of doing a group buy thingy on some of these?

Riptide

Established Member
If you daily drive this car and don't even go to the track, don't bother with a converter!!! It will blow the tires off on the street with a loose convertex like a 4 or 5C.
This is exactly what keeps me from opting for one. I like being able to stab it from a dig on nice warm pavement and not spin. Without having to go to the race track.

Users who are viewing this thread