Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Exedy Mach 700 (Stage 4)

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

clinton2003

Established Member
So I am sitting here trying to think what i should do.

I have a MT-82 trans, had stock clutch, blew up trans :kaboom: (stuck in 4th gear) @ 29k. Installed Boss Clutch/Flywheel, Blew up trans :bash: (wouldnt stay in 2nd gear) @ 41k.

Have been doing more reading and now am doing the following when I get my car back. Its getting Another new transmission.

Brass shift fork pads
Whatever is upgraded for shift Stops (does liberty sell these too, or where can I get them, or do I need to have em made)
MGW Shifter
Upgraded Clutch

I dont want to do the T-56 swap, nor an auto swap. have considered it but am going this direction.

So what im getting at is which clutch should I do.

Looking at the following

McLeod RXTClutch with machined Stock Flywheel
Exedy Mach 700 (Stage 4) Clutch with Lightened Steel Flywheel

Reason for looking at Mach 700 is its a puck style (5 bigger pucks) and lighter flywheel should cut some rotating mass which should give me (minimal) more power to the wheels. Also allow it to rev a bit faster.

Reason for looking at McLeod RXT is its supposed to be the best, although I dont plan on getting to those power levels... ever... (well not anytime soon anyway)

One of the things I am looking at is clutch life as well (I know but it is something to consider since I drive my mustang quite a bit.)

If anyone has any experience with any of these or both please chime in and give me your opinions on them.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
So I am sitting here trying to think what i should do.

I have a MT-82 trans, had stock clutch, blew up trans :kaboom: (stuck in 4th gear) @ 29k. Installed Boss Clutch/Flywheel, Blew up trans :bash: (wouldnt stay in 2nd gear) @ 41k.

Have been doing more reading and now am doing the following when I get my car back. Its getting Another new transmission.

Brass shift fork pads
Whatever is upgraded for shift Stops (does liberty sell these too, or where can I get them, or do I need to have em made)
MGW Shifter
Upgraded Clutch

I dont want to do the T-56 swap, nor an auto swap. have considered it but am going this direction.

So what im getting at is which clutch should I do.

Looking at the following

McLeod RXTClutch with machined Stock Flywheel
Exedy Mach 700 (Stage 4) Clutch with Lightened Steel Flywheel

Reason for looking at Mach 700 is its a puck style (5 bigger pucks) and lighter flywheel should cut some rotating mass which should give me (minimal) more power to the wheels. Also allow it to rev a bit faster.

Reason for looking at McLeod RXT is its supposed to be the best, although I dont plan on getting to those power levels... ever... (well not anytime soon anyway)

One of the things I am looking at is clutch life as well (I know but it is something to consider since I drive my mustang quite a bit.)

If anyone has any experience with any of these or both please chime in and give me your opinions on them.

there is no way i would do that Puck style clutch that thing will be a light switch. RXT all day

That Exedy is very very aggressive. That combined with a Aluminum flywheel will not be a good driving clutch. It will rev fast and hold power but around town is going to suck

Any reason why you do want to use a RST?

Last edited:

clinton2003

Established Member
Im hard on everything (obviously lol). And from what i understand organic material can get messed up and the metallic/ceramic materials will self heal unlike the organic.

And I believe that flywheel is Lightened Steel, not Aluminum (not that that matters tooo much haha)

Last edited:

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Im hard on everything (obviously lol). And from what i understand organic material can get messed up and the metallic/ceramic materials will self heal unlike the organic.

Fair Enough :lol:

I have driven my fair share of clutches and i would not recommend it

I had some DFX clutches in my day and i hated it

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Machining your flywheel is a good way to ruin your day. Put a new one in or you're likely to run into clutch release issues.

jojobee

Established Member
I have an Exedy 600 and find it stiff and very noisy, i cant imagine what the 700 would be especially in city driving. It will ruin your ride imo and you'll want to go auto :)

clinton2003

Established Member
Justinjor said:
Machining your flywheel is a good way to ruin your day. Put a new one in or you're likely to run into clutch release issues.

What makes you say that?

I don't see keep the Boss clutch in the poll?

Glutten for punishment? lol Seeing how I am hard on the trans, I cant imagine what the clutch may look like.

I'd rather upgrade it (again) when the trans is out than worry about it... although I dont know, maybe I should just keep it and spend that money on something else... like Cams/Springs... hehe

Seems that the RXT is CRUSHING it.... lol

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Depending how much they machine, you can run into clutch release issues. I just wouldn't chance it. Either buy a new flywheel or clean up your existing one.

I have the RST in my car and absolutely love it. It drives better than stock and has yet to skip a beat. I shift at 7600 without issue now

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
What makes you say that?

Glutten for punishment? lol Seeing how I am hard on the trans, I cant imagine what the clutch may look like.

I'd rather upgrade it (again) when the trans is out than worry about it... although I dont know, maybe I should just keep it and spend that money on something else... like Cams/Springs... hehe

Seems that the RXT is CRUSHING it.... lol

Dude, if Jon couldn't hurt the boss clutch last season, you wont hurt it. Don't spend more money if you dont have to. And puck clutches SUCK on the street, been there, done that.

clinton2003

Established Member
Just got off the phone with McLeod, they said the RXT will NOT fit on a stock or boss flywheel. The relief area on those flywheels are almost 7", and the McLeod needs a 6 1/4 or smaller.

hmmmm. Can anyone Confirm or Deny that claim?

McLeod also said average clutch life 40-50k depending on how its driven. Pedal feel soft as a Honda, Toyota. Clutch engagement as smooth as stock. Which seems to be the consensus of everyone else too.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Just got off the phone with McLeod, they said the RXT will NOT fit on a stock or boss flywheel. The relief area on those flywheels are almost 7", and the McLeod needs a 6 1/4 or smaller.

hmmmm. Can anyone Confirm or Deny that claim?

McLeod also said average clutch life 40-50k depending on how its driven. Pedal feel soft as a Honda, Toyota. Clutch engagement as smooth as stock. Which seems to be the consensus of everyone else too.

that is 100% true

DO not install an RXT on a stock flywheel

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
that is 100% true

DO not install an RXT on a stock flywheel

x2. Or any flywheel that is not McLeod.

I personally like the Mach700. It is good up to 700ft lbs and holds. Some like the on/off style where the McLeod is a lot softer. Either way, We love both styles.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I like a firm clutch , hated the soft feel of my stock clutch, i have a spec 3+ clutch with a spec billet steel flywheel in a Tremec. JPC installed it with the install of my Tremec. its a full faced single disc that holds 800ft lbs. I love it, its been flawless for me and it costs me $480.00.

Users who are viewing this thread