Cobra Mustang IRS Delrin/UHMW/Alum bushing kit w/adj. sway bar links & bumpsteer kit

SilverNotch

Established Member
Thanks guys I already went ahead and removed it as it was rattling. It silenced my irs quite a bit. It will hold my off till I get the ftbr kit.

Spade

Established Member
Bruce I have a question regarding handling. I installed your kit spring of last year along with new rear tires and the car felt unstable. Almost like it did with the factory bushings. Kinda like the tires were low in pressure, which they were and are not. As this season went on the car felt worse.

Do you have any ideas what could be going on with the car? Does the car need to be adjusted a while after install?

See sig for IRS mods.

Thanks

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce I have a question regarding handling. I installed your kit spring of last year along with new rear tires and the car felt unstable. Almost like it did with the factory bushings. Kinda like the tires were low in pressure, which they were and are not. As this season went on the car felt worse.

Do you have any ideas what could be going on with the car? Does the car need to be adjusted a while after install?

See sig for IRS mods.

Thanks

You are going to have to first check to make sure everything is tight and there is no play in the rear wheels in ANY direction. Was an alignment done? To factory specs or other specs. Please specify.

If the car has been lowered, you've thrown off the roll centers of the rear suspension. This makes bumpsteering the suspension that much more important. was the rear suspension bumpsteered?

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Spade

Established Member
Yes the car was aligned to factory specs after the bushing install. Bumpsteer was not done. Thanks.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Yes the car was aligned to factory specs after the bushing install. Bumpsteer was not done. Thanks.

As your suspension travels up and down (when you hit bumps or dips in the road) the toe setting will change if the bumpteer is not optimized. As the toe settings change, the rear of the car is being steered in a random manner.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Wondering if Bruce is going to be kind enough to have the holiday discount this year?

We are planning on having a Christmas sale but only on our line of brake rotors and not the bushing kits or IRS parts unfortunately. We've already reduced the price on the bushing kits this past Spring by $30 plus added the front subframe bolts to the kit as well. It's already the best designed, lowest priced kit available on the market today. :-D We hope to have details of the brake sale up towards the end of November.

On other news....................... We are happy to announce some new parts to our IRS line. We now handle the new and improved Ford Racing rear differential cover for the IRS. The FTBR part number for the new Ford diff cover is FT 1350 and they sell for $239 each.

Ford%20Racing%20Diff%20Cover.jpg

We like the Ford Racing cover for several reasons. It has provisions for both a suction AND return line for a diff cooler. Being an open track and road race oriented supplier of suspension parts, this was important to us. Some other covers do not have provisions for a return line, only a drain/suction provision. There is also an undrilled/untapped area for a temperature sensor which is a nice feature as well.

Our new Delrin isolated rear diff lowering mount FT 1401 will work when used with the Ford racing cover:

New%20lowering%20diff%20support%20on%20Ford%20cover.jpg

Until now, aftermarket rear diff lowering mounts have historically not been compatible with aftermarket covers. Well that's no longer the case anymore. :-D

SilverNotch

Established Member
I just got my bonus from work and I'm getting ready to purchase and install the ft5001 myself. Yesterday I watching some of your videos to take notes on tools and other things that I don't have and will need when installing the kit. I'm wondering with this kit will I need an angle finder like the one you sell or can I go by eye with this? As I've never messed with an IRS rear before I just want to make sure I get everything I need.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I just got my bonus from work and I'm getting ready to purchase and install the ft5001 myself. Yesterday I watching some of your videos to take notes on tools and other things that I don't have and will need when installing the kit. I'm wondering with this kit will I need an angle finder like the one you sell or can I go by eye with this? As I've never messed with an IRS rear before I just want to make sure I get everything I need.

If you are going with the FT 5001 kit, that includes the rear diff lowering mount. You're definitely going to want to get the angle finder if you don't have one. You need to adjust the front nose of the differential housing to optimize the driveline angles on your driveshaft. We've dedicated a page on our site to show how the angles are measured:

FTBR Setting Pinion Angle

Let's say when you measure the front of the driveshaft it points down one degree coming out of the trans. You'll want the nose of the differential pointing up so the rear of the driveshaft points up one degree coming from the pinion flange. One end of the driveshaft pointing down and the other end pointing up by the exact amount would be off-setting angles to give you a fully optimized driveline.

Hope that helps.

SilverNotch

Established Member
How much of difference would I be able to tell from a base bumpsteer vs. deluxe bumpsteer kit? Also, do I need the adjustable sway bar end links? The car is all street right now and will probably see some track time in the future but, its never going to be an all out road racer I dont think. I'm just trying to upgrade the rear without breaking the bank on every single part that I want and maybe don't need.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
How much of difference would I be able to tell from a base bumpsteer vs. deluxe bumpsteer kit? Also, do I need the adjustable sway bar end links? The car is all street right now and will probably see some track time in the future but, its never going to be an all out road racer I dont think. I'm just trying to upgrade the rear without breaking the bank on every single part that I want and maybe don't need.

From a 'performance' standpoint, you won't see any difference between our standard and deluxe bumpsteer kits. That is providing there is no play in your outer tie rod ends because those are reused in the standard kit. The differences in the two kits is addressed in the FAQ on our site:

FTBR Frequently Asked Questions Bumpsteer Differences

As far as the sway bar end links go that is also addressed in the FAQ:

FTBR Frequently Asked Questions Sway Bar End Links

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

SilverNotch

Established Member
Thanks, I should be purchasing soon I have been watching the videos taking notes to see what tools I need and need to get. I'm going to have to get a torque wrench which is going to set me back a few bucks.

SilverNotch

Established Member
I just installed my Griggs Racing lower subframe connectors. What a difference in making the irs peform better and not make as much noise and shift so much. Make way for the FTBR bushing kit.

Users who are viewing this thread