Cobra Mustang IRS Delrin/UHMW/Alum bushing kit w/adj. sway bar links & bumpsteer kit

racebronco2

Established Member
jking32 here is my experience, the biggest problem i had was wheel hop at the starting line. Once i increased the power i got more wheel hop not only from a dead stop but also from a roll. I installed ac427's bushings and the car had no wheel and was much more consistant at the drags.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Yes, upper and lower control arms on the IRS are A arms.

Sorry I do not plan (at this time) to do a Delrin front lower Ford control arm. Maybe someday!? :shrug:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

No biggie. They're not as expensive as the IRS anyways, so not a real need for them.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
jking32 said:
AC427COBRA,
since you a racer, I have an opinion question. I have an almost stock 03 cobra. I am going to be autocrossing it this year. I ran 3 events last year. The tires that were on the car when I bought it were Fuzion ZR1's. I did OK last year, but slipped around quite a bit. My ultimate plan is to upgrade all the bushings and install H&R race springs and put some Falken RT-615's on. How much of a traction/grip improvement do the bushings provide. I don't have a huge problem with wheel hop, but I suspect that when I put the Falkens on it is going to become a bigger problem. I can't afford to do tires and spring/bushing upgrade at once. If I do the spring/bushing upgrade first will I see a noticeable improvement in traction? Obviously, I am just asking for your opinion as I realize there is no way to really know for sure. I have some cash coming in and am trying to decide where to spend first. I also realize you have a stake in the results of my decision as it is your kit that I want, but will trust you can give me your opinion on which way I should go. I guess I should also say there is still plenty of tire left on the Fuzions.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim:

I replied to your PM and thought this would also be good information to share with others.

Jim:

I've never pressured anyone to buy our kit. BUT the factory delivered IRS is so pathetically compromised as delivered from the factory, it's really a crying shame. It's actually a great little unit, just not as delivered from the factory.

Imagine this for a moment: four IRS control arms mounted in rubber bushings. The subframe is also mounted in rubber. What direction do you suppose your rear tires are pointed when you put autocrossing type of cornering pressures on them? The answer: It's anyone's guess, really.

Please don't take offense to this because I'm not trying to offend you, but IMHO autocrossing a stock '03 Cobra is your first mistake. Your car belongs on a race track, not an autocross course. It will truly shine on a nice road course in relatively stock form. Autocross courses are for Miata's, and Honda's. Ok, off my soap box!

Only you can decide what to do first because of your limited funds. All I can tell you is your car will no longer have a loose rear end after the install of this kit. It will plant and track like you're driving a Porsche. If you also bumpsteer the IRS when you do the kit it will be like icing on the cake.

Good luck with your decision. I will be carrying this kit for quite some time yet.

Sincerely,

Bruce

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Quick little update here guys. After buying these insanely priced 14mm bolts from the Ford dealer for all of these years, I've done a little research on a qualified substitute and have some good news.

I've found that a 9/16" grade 8 bolt with a nylock locking nut is very close in size. As a matter of fact, they are about .010" larger. They are a very nice fit on the front subframe mounts! :-D The best news of all is they are exactly half price.

Now for $9.00 instead of $18.00, I can supply you with a pair of these 9/16" bolts that come with washers and the locking nuts.

irsboltcomparosl2.jpg

That's today's good news!:pepper:

Bruce

MColeman

Established Member
I cannot PM!

ac427cobra said:
...snip...
Here is the breakdown on the individual pricing. These prices include destination freight to your door:

$50.00 Aluminum Front diff supports w/Aluminum shimming washers

$60.00 Delrin Rear Diff support

$94.00 Complete UHMW IRS Cradle support set

This pricing is including destination freight via UPS or Fed-Ex ground service.

I now have a Grade 8, 9/16" bolt, nylock nut and two washers. These are $9.00 a pair for everything you need. A much more affordable alternative.

Bruce,

I want to order the quoted parts but am unable to pm. Where should I paypal the $213 - or would you prefer another method of payment?

Thanks.
Mike

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
MColeman said:
Bruce,

I want to order the quoted parts but am unable to pm. Where should I paypal the $213 - or would you prefer another method of payment?

Thanks.
Mike

Mike:

I will have all of that by mid-week. Can ship by Wednesday most likely. Drop me an email at bruce1995bmc at yahoo dot com (you know the routine there!)

I'll get you handled.

Bruce

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
viperbluelx said:
Could I run the aluminum front diff bushings with the stock rear bushing or do I have to do both?

It's your car, you can do anything you want. But, to be honest with you the diff needs to be held better at both ends. Not just one.

Tell me what your goals are for the car and what issues you may be having at the present time. I'll try to help.

Bruce

WDW MKR

Established Member
The stock rear diff bushing is like play-do. I would definitely recommend doing both at the same time. Some say only changing one can even make things worse on the diff mount ears, since they will be trying to prevent the entire diff from pivoting with the rear mount still moving.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
It's your car, you can do anything you want. But, to be honest with you the diff needs to be held better at both ends. Not just one.

Tell me what your goals are for the car and what issues you may be having at the present time. I'll try to help.

Bruce

The goal is to run 10's with stock halfshafts, the car is mostly stock right now and i'm trying to eliminate the clunk.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
viperbluelx said:
The goal is to run 10's with stock halfshafts, the car is mostly stock right now and i'm trying to eliminate the clunk.

MARK:

Have you loaded the drivetrain while holding the brakes to see what the diff is doing? You can have an assistant watch the diff while you load the drivetrain. This will tell you how much it's moving. Or if you want to see for yourself have the assistant in the car and you watch. Obviously DON'T stick your head under the car. Look from outside of the rear wheel underneath the car.

You will definitely be holding the diff much more firmly with the new bushings. However, the front diff bushings will transmit much more noise just so you are aware.

Bruce

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bushing removal tools now available for rent

Greetings IRS lovers!

I have some exciting news for you guys wanting to do the complete package but were afraid because of the stories you heard about how hard the bushings were to remove. :(

I now have these:

removaltoolshg2.jpg

These removal tools will make this job INFINITELY easier! :pepper: These tools are available for the paltry rental fee of $5.00 with a $30.00 deposit to make sure I get them back.

I have two sets available for these projects. One is currently at a customer's and the other one will be going out with another order most likely next week.

If you have any questions just holler!

jking32

Established Member
Well, I installed the kit today with a brand new set of H&R Race Springs. It took 3 of us with a lift about 8 hours to remove the IRS, upgrade all the bushings and reinstall it. The 4 subframe bushing came out pretty easy with the MM removal tool and a sawzall to split the old shells and they just tapped right out after that. The upper control arm bushings came out pretty easy and the new ones back in with no troubles. The lower control arm bushing were a pain in the @%$ to remove. That took the most time. New ones went in just fine. The rear diff bushings are a pain in the @%$ as well, they also took some time. The front diff bushings were cake. I upgraded the front subframes bolts to the 14mm ones as well.

I have only driven about 10 miles in it so far so it is hard to say what I think. I do notice more noise, but nothing I am going to have a problem with so far. The ride height of the car with the H&R race springs is perfect. I used the stock ISO's on the top only on all four corners. I will write up my opinion after I have a little more seat time and also after I run an autocross to see the difference.

I will have to get an update photo posted in my sig with the new stance.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Some new changes and improvements to the IRS bushing kit

Greetings IRS lovers:

I've got some great news regarding the Complete UHMW, Aluminum and Delrin IRS bushings kits we're offering.

We've recently added stainless steel shimming washers to take up the slack in out of tolerance subframes. These washers are .046" thick and they are used either single or stacked depending on how much room needs to be taken up.

Just as an FYI, I've never received a SINGLE complaint from any of the people installing this kit that they had issues with the fit of the lower control arm bushings. But if you spread the sides of the buckets out and make all of them completely straight you will be able to get one or two of these shimming washers in. The new bushings will have slightly thinner flanges so these shimming washers will actually be necessary.

I've actually addressed more people with concerns about our kit because the MM web site says ...................................(enter concern here)

Another thing newly added is a Hardcoat anti-wear coating that will be on all inner pivot sleeves. I hope to have pics of them up soon.

These additional costs will be increasing the cost of the kits somewhat. I hope to have those numbers shortly.

Here are a couple shots showing the shimming washers installed in the subframe along with the control arm

irsshimmingwashers2xx2.jpg

irsshimmingwashers1aa9.jpg

Stay tuned. More goodies to come.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
J Stafford said:
need to buy a set of this bushings and rent the tool. I have a 03 cobra.
need to contact you for payment and shipping asap. THANKS!!

You can drop me a message at:
bruce1995bmc at yahoo dot com (you know the routine there I hope?)

Get posting so you have PM privileges!!!

:coolman: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread