Cobra R Values on the Rise?

Saleenrose

Established Member
Thats allot less than the 4000 it going to cost to get those Joker graphics back, Humm

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I guess instead of buying a 68 shelby... Perhaps now it is another 95r!

Hmm, I've been thinking of something new (to me).

It wouldn't be an old Shelby. The price is just too high today. I returned an email on one last week (he had described it but forgot to name the price :rollseyes ). It turns out this one was also lacking a lot of paperwork.

A "R"? I've had one for 15 years. I really don't need another one now.

I think that I am going with a recent (stock) Boss 302. So far, I've had no luck on one, but I am in no hurry.

flattrack53

Established Member
Doc, this is the time of year everyone wants something new! As much as I'd love to own an old Shelby, I just don't think that is going to happen anytime in the future. The price on these old cars are sky high. I'd also like to own a 289 competition cobra :)

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
As much as I'd love to own an old Shelby, I just don't think that is going to happen anytime in the future. The price on these old cars are sky high. I'd also like to own a 289 competition cobra :)

I agree.

I was hanging around two different (rented) warehouses in the last two days. First, I took my 95R out today (it was over 60 degrees) for a 75 mile ride. It worked well in some quick gear changing and some hard braking. I had a lot of fun.

There were another ~20 guys around that also rent space. Some are just in it for the passion like me. Some are dealers or flippers.

Everyone agreed that GT350/GT500/early Cobra/early 911 cars were going higher and higher (some even suggested another +30%) in the future.

Except me. I get real nervous when everyone agrees on the value of future prices (which may mean most buyers are already in).

flattrack53

Established Member
Fox body mustangs are going to be the shelby of my era. I don't see it possible for the market to be able to continue at such a high rate to be honest. Unfortunately my generation (mid 80's), doesn't have a real interest for the most part in these older cars. The ones that do are more interested in the resto-mod side of things. Who wants to drive a car with crappy brakes,no AC and poor handling? Anyways, most of my friends are buried in college debt and are having a tough time finding a decent job. Even the ones that got jobs out of college can't get a loan to buy a house because they have to high of debt or so little credit.

Saleenrose

Established Member
This is the exact reason I have the cars I have. I agree the Fox cars are next followed by the SN95. The car of the Foxes to have is the 93 Cobra and the 93R. I see the Saleens and some others going up but not much. As a guy who has some of each, the true value and quality is the stock ford cars. Saleen's quality is poor at best, I like the style but his finish quality was poor. Take these cars fix the crap, make more power and then you have a car with good style and good performance.
chIzVFF.jpg

flattrack53

Established Member
My prediction on values, highest being a number 1.

Foxbodies
1. 93r
2. 93 cobra
3. Saleens
4. 87-93 coupe.
5. T-tops/SVO

SN95
1. 95r
2. Saleen speedsters/ saleen cobras
3. 96 mystic
4. Regular cobra's/ Regular Saleens
5. Roush

New Edge
1. 00r
2. Saleen cobra
3. 03-04 cobra
4. saleen
5. Roush

I agree with you about the saleens. After owning a foxbody saleen, I will never own another one. Most of the body panels are held on by double-sided sticky tape.

TFStang

Established Member

Foxbodies
1. 93r
2. 93 cobra
3. Saleens
4. 87-93 coupe.
5. T-tops/SVO

SN95
1. 95r
3. 96 mystic
5. Roush

New Edge
1. 00r
2. Saleen cobra
3. 03-04 cobra
4. saleen
5. Roush

I agree with you about the saleens. After owning a foxbody saleen, I will never own another one. Most of the body panels are held on by double-sided sticky tape.

I would add a 99 Saleen 351 to the new edge column.

brianz426

Established Member

Foxbodies
1. 93r
2. 93 cobra
3. Saleens
4. 87-93 coupe.
5. T-tops/SVO

SN95
1. 95r
3. 96 mystic
5. Roush

New Edge
1. 00r
2. Saleen cobra
3. 03-04 cobra
4. saleen
5. Roush

Scott,
I totally agree with your list. In the next 10-15 years (maybe even 5) I think most people will be totally surprised by the increased value we will see on all of the above. It may not be as drastic and quick as the current early 911 value surge (which I believe to be a bubble in the making) but it will happen. There is a very interesting article in the March issue of Car and Driver. Here is the opening paragraph;

"A demographic shift looms: Some 76 million baby boomers will soon reach retirement age, crushing the health-care system and social safety net with their massive numbers. But we have a greater concern: Who's going to buy all their cars?"

Sadly the car culture was a baby boomer thing, generations following them don't have the interest in cars they did. Yes there are and will be groups of hard core enthusiasts for almost every make and model, but you need large numbers outside the hard core group to bring the values up. The cars you mention above are all limited production and the chances are good that as time goes on demand will be greater than supply. I've already had couple of younger guys mention to me they were thinking about building 93 R clones and in the past read about at least one but maybe two guys on this forum doing 2000R clones. Just wait till these cars get really expensive, we'll end up with more clones than real ones.

The Car and Driver article was very good. If anyone wants to read it I have a PDF of the scanned pages, PM me and I'll email it to you. If there is away to post, let me know and I'll try to do that.

TFStang

Established Member
Scott,
I totally agree with your list. In the next 10-15 years (maybe even 5) I think most people will be totally surprised by the increased value we will see on all of the above. It may not be as drastic and quick as the current early 911 value surge (which I believe to be a bubble in the making) but it will happen. There is a very interesting article in the March issue of Car and Driver. Here is the opening paragraph;

"A demographic shift looms: Some 76 million baby boomers will soon reach retirement age, crushing the health-care system and social safety net with their massive numbers. But we have a greater concern: Who's going to buy all their cars?"

Sadly the car culture was a baby boomer thing, generations following them don't have the interest in cars they did. Yes there are and will be groups of hard core enthusiasts for almost every make and model, but you need large numbers outside the hard core group to bring the values up. The cars you mention above are all limited production and the chances are good that as time goes on demand will be greater than supply. I've already had couple of younger guys mention to me they were thinking about building 93 R clones and in the past read about at least one but maybe two guys on this forum doing 2000R clones. Just wait till these cars get really expensive, we'll end up with more clones than real ones.

The Car and Driver article was very good. If anyone wants to read it I have a PDF of the scanned pages, PM me and I'll email it to you. If there is away to post, let me know and I'll try to do that.

I'm pretty sure there are already more clones than real ones.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyways, most of my friends are buried in college debt and are having a tough time finding a decent job. Even the ones that got jobs out of college can't get a loan to buy a house because they have to high of debt or so little credit.

I agree.

Foxbodies
1. 93r
2. 93 cobra
3. Saleens
4. 87-93 coupe.
5. T-tops/SVO

SN95
1. 95r
3. 96 mystic
5. Roush

New Edge
1. 00r
2. Saleen cobra
3. 03-04 cobra
4. saleen
5. Roush
You are skipping one major fact: Most of those cars have already increased in value. It's like picking a 1965 GT350R today after it almost hit the $1M dollar mark. :-D

I'd go with another comparison. It would be cars that are priced less than their future value today and should go higher by a better percentage of today's value:

1. 1995 Cobra R (not because that I own one). It's because of their rarity, and their history in road racing.

2. 1994/1995 Mustang Cobra (including the rarer examples). It's the last Windor engines in a Mustang. I sold a one-owner nice Coupe example in a weak moment.

3. 2000 Cobra R (easy pick).

4. 1997+ 4.6L Cobra's (my other sold mistake). They were great cars and still are.

flattrack53

Established Member
I agree with you.. If you want to look at a market that started poorly, went sky high, and now poor again look at Model A's and Model T's. Who wants a car with wooden wheels/ hand crank, that I could probably peddle my bicycle faster going up a steep hill :)

The only way the old muscle cars are going to stay at considerably high prices will be by resto-moding. They also need to come up with publications to bring future generations into play.

Here is one my dad, brother and I plan on building. This is my great aunts 1964 ford falcon squire station wagon. its all original with 29k miles, 200 cubic inch motor and a 3 speed on the column. Hotchkis suspension will be going in the front on shockwave suspension, 9 inch rear, 289 hipo motor and a 4 speed on the column. We are keeping the stock appearance look on the outside and inside other then some billet wheels. Sorry about my editing with the paint. I tried to stay in the lines, haha.
622e8ccc-8a3a-497f-b5b9-eee3896e6e13_zps6b609ff2.jpg

Last edited:

cobra-boss

Established Member
I would add the 95 cobra hard top convertible to the list, only 499 built, very under valued imo.

Last edited:

flattrack53

Established Member
Good call on those cars. I haven't seen any of them for sale for a while. I remember when the market was really strong for those cars and then all of the sudden they dropped off.

brianz426

Established Member
I agree with you.. If you want to look at a market that started poorly, went sky high, and now poor again look at Model A's and Model T's. Who wants a car with wooden wheels/ hand crank, that I could probably peddle my bicycle faster going up a steep hill :)

The only way the old muscle cars are going to stay at considerably high prices will be by resto-moding. They also need to come up with publications to bring future generations into play.

Here is one my dad, brother and I plan on building. This is my great aunts 1964 ford falcon squire station wagon. its all original with 29k miles, 200 cubic inch motor and a 3 speed on the column. Hotchkis suspension will be going in the front on shockwave suspension, 9 inch rear, 289 hipo motor and a 4 speed on the column. We are keeping the stock appearance look on the outside and inside other then some billet wheels. Sorry about my editing with the paint. I tried to stay in the lines, haha.
622e8ccc-8a3a-497f-b5b9-eee3896e6e13_zps6b609ff2.jpg

^ very cool!

^Agreed, very cool. Wagons are another small example of something that has had a recent bump in value that 5-10 years ago were virtually worthless. I've seen some really nice late 60's early 70's wagons in the mid teens that would have been lucky to bring $5k in the past. Not to get off subject but tried to talk my wife into this one last summer. I guess I'm a sucker for wood grain having grown up with it.
IMAG0941_zps43b67c26.jpg

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
Our dealer owns one with 36 actual miles...has had to replace fuel bladder..due to age...duh. I was toying with buying one awhile ago..but do not like red....guess if one could be had cheap enough...it would look evil in black or matte/gloss black with of course some power mods to make it quicker...

Users who are viewing this thread