Cobra R Values on the Rise?

GaryGrimm

Established Member

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
As an R owner I like to keep tabs on where the values of our cars are going.
I checked out the NADA value on the 2000R and it puts our cars from 34-46K.
This Friday a 2000 R is up for auction on Mecum; I can't wait to see how high it goes for!
2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R 5.4/385 HP, 6-Speed for sale by Mecum Auction
Looks like the American Cars are making a slow comeback!
Muscle cars gone wild with $3.9 million Corvette - NBC News.com
Will be DVRing Fridays Auction
~Gary

Gary,

Prices are still pretty stagnant unless you drop the car at a Mecum or BJ auction for a spin on the podium.

I go through the same thoughts as you did, difference being that I know that what a particular car sells for at one of the big auctions does not have a trickle down effect on the general retail marketplace.

One day, perhaps, but not today.

Bill S.

GaryGrimm

Established Member
Gary,

Prices are still pretty stagnant unless you drop the car at a Mecum or BJ auction for a spin on the podium.

I go through the same thoughts as you did, difference being that I know that what a particular car sells for at one of the big auctions does not have a trickle down effect on the general retail marketplace.

One day, perhaps, but not today.

Bill S.

It is my understanding that the auctions often speak for where the current values of cars are. The 2000 R's that are sitting in retail are priced in the 50-70K range (our cars are not there yet). They are on EBay month after month. I suspect our cars will slowly creep out of the 30's and into the 40's. The values of Toys like these often follow the stock market; and today the DOW is at 16,373. I bet this car will go in the low 40's on Friday. I cant think of many cars in the 40's that will give one a thrill like the 2000R!
~Gary

Last edited:

TFStang

Established Member
Most of the cars that have been up for sale recently have been in the $40's. I see the 00R's going up into the $40's (firmly) soon. I have been following these cars for years and have seen the ups and downs. Right now, I am seeing an up tick in prices. I think the days of getting a nice clean R in the $30's are fading quickly. We may already be past that point currently. It will be interesting to see how much the auction car sells for.

flattrack53

Established Member
Last year I saw 3-4 out in Arizona at all of the auctions combined. This year I only saw a 95r at Russo and Steele. You can't judge the market on auctions unfortunately. I am with you and TFStang on the market with it being on the rise. It seems like the people who have there cars advertised for a 40k+ asking price aren't willing to budge on them either. That will help the market on these cars... How bad do you want another R? :)

GaryGrimm

Established Member
Sold for 38K, plus fees... Not bad for a modified car; unsure as to the mileage. Wish I could have seen it go up; they started broadcasting about 15 cars after this one went up.
~Gary

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
When he replies, remember we are in ma, so he can only drive 6 months of the year....

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Tons and tons of both. And when so cold, no prayer of getting rid of it for a while.

TFStang

Established Member
Do they use salt or sand in MA? Our roads are covered in salt from November-February.

Yes! The roads are stained white from all of the salt! Won't be able to take out any cars until we get some good rain in April. My black SUV was completely white before I took it to the car wash today. :mj:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
+1 did bother to wash, but hosed off the raptor to get rid of the white caked on salt. Man winter sucks.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Cobra R Values on the Rise?

No.

Yet, I do not see this as a problem since I've never counted factory race cars as part of my retirement package.

It's a hobby. I love driving it hard on ever turn. You've seen this picture before:

1995Ra.jpg

It makes me wonder how long the older cars that hit auction prices that I saw this month at AZ? The total went from $225M last year to $253M this year.

It makes me wonder how long GT350's can continue their appreciation? I've been telling a friend to sell his '66 GT350 (he bought it for <$35K). He just stores it now since he is worried about driving it.

Back to the R's. They are really fun to drive, and they are a lot faster than any 1965 GT350R every made.

OK. The early cars are better looking. :-D

95RChamp.jpg

1995Rb.jpg

GaryGrimm

Established Member
In the Feb. Issue of Car and Driver; on page 36; they put the 2000R at a Desirability of 8 (out of 10). They didn't list the 93 or 95. I wish I knew how to post an image of the magazine page.
~Gary

Users who are viewing this thread