Conversation I had with service writers about PCM's and chips

OverToad

Established Member
I've got 30 minutes to burn before I break for Valentines day, and thought this might be interesting reading to a few of you.

I've grown pretty weary of trying to find fixes for the PCM issue. Maybe it's waking up every morning and staring a the 2.93 pulley, the GB belt, the Anodized TB, and the Diablo chip :shrug: ;-) Throw in the cost for a PCM, the hassle of having to use the NGS tool, and the general concern over this, and I've basically run out of patience.

I went to a local dealership today, with the intentions of hearing what some senior service writers had to say about the whole chipping/PCM stuff. I went this morning, and spoke to a guy I've seen up there before, though I don't remember his name. Basically, I walked in with a stupid look on my face, I shortened up my vocabulary to words no larger than two syllables, I slouched, and pretty much did whatever I could to appear meek, timid, and generally slackjawed and stupid :eek:

My introduction to the subject went like this:

"I've bought several cars from you guys over the past years, and I'm hoping you can help me out with your superior expertise (Working hard not to crack a smile, or show my sarcasm). I've never done any aftermarket stuff to my cars. I bought this new fast 03 Cobra, and found out about a thing called a "Dyno", and wanted to see if this car actually made the power they advertise. When I did, the mechanics at the shop said something like my tune was off? Like my air and fuel weren't at the right mix? And that it should be corrected or my car will suffer eventually. So I asked what I could do. They told me an easy fix would be to get some kind of chip, and that would take care of the problem. So I said "sure!", and they did it.
Well, a week ago, I started looking for information on these Cobra's on the net, and found out that putting a chip in my car could hurt my warranty. When I found that out, I went right back to the shop, yelled at them, and demanded they remove the chip, since I didn't want to risk my warranty. That's why I bought a new car! (All the while I was working myself into a minor tizzy, to solidify my ruse as an imbecile) Then they told me that the work they did to put in the chip couldn't be undone, so there would be proof that it was put in there. I told them I didn't care, and to remove it.
So, Jim, here's why I"m here. I'm scared and nervous about my warranty. I bought my car because it's fast. If I wanted all this extra performance, I would have spent money to fix up my old Cobra. I don't want to lose my warranty, so if I bring in my car someday and they see this work done, wherever it was done, am I in trouble?" (Insert the "Deer caught in the headlights" look)

He told me "You got bad advice. No performance shop is more quallified than we are when it comes to these cars. They can't possibly know that the A/F mixture is off, so you got suckered. (Insert downtrodden look on my face). So here's what you do. You keep that chip out, you drive it, and you forget about it. If something ever happens, they have to prove that something caused the damage (blah blah blah.....we know this story by heart). So unless those guys in back can prove damage, your fine. Just make sure that there's no evidence of aftermarket stuff on your car, and they won't put the blame on you."
At this point, I professed my most heartfelt gratitude, shook his hand heartily, proceeded around the corner, and laughed like a school kid:lol1:

I then found another service writer on the inside of the dealership, and repeated my earlier performance. He said nearly the identical thing.

Now this got me to thinkin', are we stressing ourselves out over covering our tracks? I'm the first to raise my hand as guilty, since I've been doing whatever I could to cover my tracks. But I'm beginning to think that a good acting job, and a little common sense, will go every bit as far as spending hundreds, or even thousands of dollars, in trying to mask our scent.

With a pulley puller, the stock airbox, the stock TB, and a clearing of any codes, we can make the car look perfectly normal, no?

See, here's my problem. I've found that the NGS tool, which has been purchased by locksmiths throughout our cities, can do everything we need when swapping in a different PCM. I've contacted the tech support of the NGS tool, and he's given me written directions on the EXACT procedure to program the PATS system to make the car start. But frankly, I would anticipate my car maybe having one serious problem in the next 5 years, so is all the worry, and constant swapping of the PCM worth it?

It looks like, for the most part, that as long as we do our homework in putting most of our engine back to stock, we're going to be fine.
Truthfully, how many of us have actually been denied warranty work for a scraped PCM? I was thinking about this last night, and I really can't remember seeing one instance of this. If it has happened to you, please let us know so we can prepare ourselves appropriately :)

JB, if I remember correctly, your on the management side of this issue. Feel free to chime in here.

Is there really a big point to this thread? Not in the truest sense of the word. But I know alot of us are stressing over this, and I"m beginning to think we're losing some of the joy of our cars, simply because we're worrying too much. Maybe it's just me that feels this way, then again, maybe not.....

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by OverToad
JB, if I remember correctly, your on the management side of this issue. Feel free to chime in here.

sounds like you gave a great performance! :beer:

I'm not the one you were thinking of though....I have no affiliation with Ford :shrug:

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by OverToad
Truthfully, how many of us have actually been denied warranty work for a scraped PCM? I was thinking about this last night, and I really can't remember seeing one instance of this. If it has happened to you, please let us know so we can prepare ourselves appropriately :)

FIRST and foremost, just go on over to www.f150online.com or www.nloc.net and ask them this very same question! You will see, that nearly every person who has had major engine damage has had their warranty voided because Ford claimed they had a chip in their vehicle (because of the scraped contacts). On top of this, I know someone locally who managed to get a new engine the first time his Lightning's motor exploded. The 2nd time he didn't! Ford sent out their rep, the rep took pictures, the next day the dealer was notified to NOT warranty the work.

You WILL have your warranty voided if you take your vehicle into service for major repairwork if they see scraped contacts. Anytime an SVT Lightning or SVT Cobra is brought in for service on a major warranty claim, such as a new engine, stripped out sparkplug, etc., Ford will always send out a rep. (which your dealer will call "Ford Adjuster") to look at the damage. If, for some reason, your dealer manages to get past not having a visit, consider yourself LUCKY!

Within 6 months we all will not have to worry about placing chips on our pcms anymore. DiabloSport will have the new Predator available for '99 and up Fords by that time. Your DiabloSport dealer will be able to program it just as they can currently a chip, and you will flash your vehicle's pcm to the new tune, and then unflash it when you go to the dealer. It is completely undetectable. PLUS, you will have a ton of options to adjust yourself on the Predator, and a diagnostics scantool and live sensor monitoring all in one box. There is no other handheld on the market that can even come close, PERIOD!

Last edited:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
DiabloSport Predator...Flashing and unflashing the PCM directly? I always wondered what the GM Predator was...Sounds good.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Re: Re: Conversation I had with service writers about PCM's and chips

Originally posted by BNASPLT
Your DiabloSport dealer will be able to program it just as they can currently a chip, and you will flash your vehicle's pcm to the new tune, and then unflash it when you go to the dealer. It is completely undetectable

That is BAD ASS! Now - where is that 2.93 pulley at... :-D

My1stFord

Established Member
I think you may be onto something OT... I never thought of "the old oppressive performance shop did this to me and I didnt know and now I'm screwed" ploy!!

Great thinking and you deserve something for your acting efforts!!!! Perhaps not quite an Oscar but maybe a Lint Filled Sock eh Harry?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Bravo! Bravo Toad!! :beer:
I would have paid to see that perfomance. :lol:

I've decided to just deal with the consequences when the time comes. Right now I'm enjoying the car too much. My attitude may change when something major breaks...we'll see.
Can you pm me that dealer? I'm pretty good at playing dumb. ;-)

CobraTone

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Conversation I had with service writers about PCM's and chips

Originally posted by DD2000GT
That is BAD ASS! Now - where is that 2.93 pulley at... :-D

I hear ya bro! Sounds like that thing will be sweeeeeet. :beer:

03Steve

Established Member
Custom dyno tune. Just like a chip, but the EEC was flashed through the service port near your right knee. Same tuning principles, except no chip. The tune is not physically detectable, and the EEC can be flashed back to stock.

OverToad

Established Member
So you picked up 2rhp and 29rtq on the flash for $350. That's not bad :)
However, personally, if I spent that money, it'd just be wasted, since I'd still want the chip anyway :cryying:

Maybe it'd be smart to just wait and get a PCM IF something ever happens?
I'm just burned out in the patience area. I'm watching these guys literally flog their cars to the point of cringing, but no engine failure. The engine failures I have seen were just bad engines :shrug:

Oh, the dealership was Covert, and I saw a guy there today looking at the white Cobra. Checkered shirt, talkin' on a cell phone. Sad part was the Cobra was missing one of it's Cobra emblems on the drivers side. I couldn't believe they'd leave that car out there with a hole in it's side, hehe.

OverToad

Established Member
Custom dyno tune. Just like a chip, but the EEC was flashed through the service port near your right knee. Same tuning principles, except no chip. The tune is not physically detectable, and the EEC can be flashed back to stock.

So not physically detectable, but if they were searching for some kind of mods or tune, wouldn't they search this also before they threw down the bones on a new engine? If that's the case, then you'd still have to jump through hoops to put it back to stock. Right? Or no?

OverToad

Established Member
And let me guess..........this is Brian in St. Louis, right?
I think it's way cool that you can get some power without physical proof, but that doesn't do most of us any good, unless we're willing to drive to St. Louis :cryying:

OverToad

Established Member
Two more things.........Sorry JB, I've mixed you up with someone else.

And here's a question:

At what point do they call in the field rep? What would be considered major enough work where they'd put in the call?

What I'm wondering is this: Do I get to get my car back once they determine it's something major, or can they sit on it and wait for the rep to come out?

03Steve

Established Member
Brian works for a company called Apten-US. Their website is listed above. Apten has other tuners around the country. They specialize in all Ford vehicles. Brian has worked with T-Bird SC's for a while.

Is it electronically detectable? I'm not qualified to answer that. I have to defer to Brian. I'll see if he would like to join the discussion.

I get the feeling you are not crazy about an EEC flash. Why?

Users who are viewing this thread