Conversation I had with service writers about PCM's and chips

OverToad

Established Member
I get the feeling you are not crazy about an EEC flash. Why?

Nono, i'm coming off the wrong way. My bad :)

I'm waiting on a female who's running about two hours late, and we've missed our dinner reservation, so I'm probably communicating in a far more negative fashion than I usually do.

I'm actually the type that questions everything, and seeks proof before I'm convinced. I'm sorry that I'm sounding so negative, but I guess it's the scientific side of me coming out :bash:

It's good to know Apten is all around the country, and that's a helluva cure for the troubles we're trying to get around.

I'm simply irritated at the moment, and it's flowing through my fingers ;-)

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by OverToad
I'm waiting on a female who's running about two hours late, and we've missed our dinner reservation
Now if you kept her chained to the stove, like mine, you'd know where she is!

:p J/K.:D

OverToad

Established Member
I've just been hit by a remarkable thought, which in all honesty, should have occured to me months ago.............

There's safety and power in numbers, correct?

Why can't several of us, who are in close contact range with each other, simply chip in on one PCM, and have it there in case anyone needs it? Maybe i'm typing before I'm thinking........

03Steve

Established Member
Only problem is, she can't cook to save her life, and since that'd be her only location, I'd be forced to eat her cooking

Holy shit!! :eek: Again!

:lol:

Rwick7

Established Member
Toad...Just get a flash and forget about it. :)

It is the same as a chip but far less detectable...what more do you want? :beer:

OverToad

Established Member
It is the same as a chip but far less detectable...what more do you want?

I dunno............what are you offering? ;-)

Does the flash advance the timing also?

And I'm wondering if/how it can be detected?

ps: finally got the call. She's about to come over. She claimed she was taking her time so she would look especially nice for me..........well, isn't that thoughtful.

If it took her all this time to do her hair and her makeup, she coulda just brought a bag for her head and a mini-skirt.......that woulda been enough for me.....i'm not demanding! :thumbsup:

Rwick7

Established Member
Toad - It's better than a chip...many more parameters can be changed...it's a chip on steroids.

OverToad

Established Member
Believe me, I've been told there's some awesome tuners up that way. Chripes man, it takes me 9 hours just to get to Lubbock! :cryying:

If memory serves me correctly, It's a solid two day drive. We don't have squat for a Ford racing scene here in Austin.

Please, let me know how it does for you. If I can get within a few HP without the risks, I'm down :beer:

OverToad

Established Member
This one's easy for me. Since you can simply bolt them on/off, and if your not worried about a warranty, Billetflow/metco idlers, lower, and a *tiny* upper :beer:

However, if your worried about it like I am, I've got the 2.93 right here. Seems as though they are the smallest we can get without slippage, and without using lower's or idlers.

Honestly, without going to a different suspension setup, anything over 470rhp is hardly controllable, and I don't have the money to make the entire car "right" for 500rhp.

Rwick7

Established Member
Yeah I think a 2.93 and a idler will be right for me...I need tires and the hop kit first though.

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by OverToad
I've just been hit by a remarkable thought, which in all honesty, should have occured to me months ago.............

There's safety and power in numbers, correct?

Why can't several of us, who are in close contact range with each other, simply chip in on one PCM, and have it there in case anyone needs it? Maybe i'm typing before I'm thinking........

i'm interested, but in houston and by the look of your Avatar, you're moving to Vegas.

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by StlBlack03
Toad...Just get a flash and forget about it. :)

It is the same as a chip but far less detectable...what more do you want? :beer:

I'm not being crude here, but this technology is actually quite unreliable, as the problem with in person form of EEC flashing, is that you can't turn it off, or uninstall it unless you go back to that dealer who initially flashed it (or find another dealer that uses the same product, which will be rare), which means either driving to him, or sending your pcm to him (some will even "lock" their tune). What happens if the tune actually doesn't perform right down the road? In the meantime, if your vehicle breaks, and you need to go to the dealer, you're SOL, unless you can wait through all the time that it takes to do the above mentioned process. The other way is to have someone with an NGS tool reflash your pcm back to factory spec, and that may be difficult to find.

With a unit like the Predator, when it becomes available soon for the Fords, you will be able to flash to a performance tune, and then back again to stock at will! Here's a list of what all it will do for the Fords:

- Screen Size: 8 line LCD backlist display
- Internet Tuning: Custom Files can be sent from your dealer via the internet which allows for future updates and customized programming
- Programming takes approx. 2 minutes on the Gas vehicles, and 15 seconds on the Diesels
- OBD-II diagnostic software. Will scan and read fault codes and their definitions, as well as erase the fault code, plus includes live data monitoring of various sensors:

Engine Load (calculated in %)
ECT (coolant temps in degrees F)
STFT Bank 1
LTFT Bank 1
STFT Bank 2
LTFT Bank 2
MAP
RPM
MPH
Spark (timing in degrees)
IAT (intake temp in degrees F)
MAF (lb/m)
TP Angle (%)
HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 1
HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 2
HO2S Bank 2 Sensor 1
HO2S Bank 2 Sensor 2
Knock Retard (in degrees)

- Revised Torque Management Settings for optimum performance
- User adjustability. Adjust your DiabloSport tuner's performance program:

a. Richen or lean fuel mixture +/- 5%
b. Advance or retard ignition timing +/- 10%
c. Raise and lower shift point rpm in 10 rpm increments for each gear
d. Raise and lower shift point mph in 1 mph increments for each gear
e. Increase or decrease shift firmness (+/- 25% and anywhere in between)
f. Reduce shift duration (time delay during gear change) (+/- 25% and anywhere in between)
g. Raise and lower rev limiter in 10 rpm increments for each gear
h. Correct speedometer for gear changes and/or tire sizes (will support ALL gear changes, and ALL tire/rim combinations)
i. Turn on cooling fans at lower temps in incremental steps of 1 degrees (for vehicles w/ factory equipped electric fans)
j. Adjust top-speed limiters

Naturally, C, D, E, and F will not apply to manuals, but all the rest will.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread