Conversation I had with service writers about PCM's and chips

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by BrianH
The predator won't be out in a few months, probably not for a longer while. They still have a lot of work to go before they are ready to sell. They are still resolving issues with the GM unit that has already been released.

As you stated, it's already out for the GM's, and hits this week for the Duramax Diesels. The Powerstrokes will be ready within 4 weeks, but probably less. All the Ford Gas Predators should start hitting within the next 3 to 6 weeks. They are basically done for the Fords now; just the fine tuning is left.

The tool is at v1.03 in the GM's, and v1.04 to fix any and all outstanding issues will be available within 1 month as well. There has been only 1 BIOS upgrade since it was released 6 months ago (it was never sold to the public before v1.02), so there's hardly any issues. The upgrade mainly has to do with gear scaling on the Vettes, and some minor tweaks to programs for other vehicles.

On top of that, you won't be able to do any real modifications with the predator. You will be able to change spark at only a few points, only chage fuel like WOT multipliers, and have very minimal control over everything else.

Those options are for the end-user. The tuning dealer will still have full control over all the tuning parameters of the pcm, at all throttle positions. The end-user controls are on top of the installed performance file (it's like taking a custom chip, and still being able to modify it from there to an extent). The end-user options are as follows:

- Axle Ratio: Can adjust from a 2.xx up to a 6.xx in .01 increments.
- Cooling Fans: Will adjust both ON and OFF in 1 degree increments up/down.
- Power Enrichment (Fuel): Will adjust from -5% to +5% at WOT
- Spark (Timing): Will adjust from from -10% to +10% at WOT
- Shift Adaption (duration): Allows user to adjust the time delay during the gear change, i.e. quickness of the shift, from -25% up to +25%
- Shift Points (MPH): Allows user to adjust at what MPH the shift should take place, for each individual gear, in 1 mph increments.
- Shift Points (RPM): Allows user to adjust at what RPM the shift should take place, for each individual gear, in 10 rpm increments.
- Shift Pressure: Allows user to adjust the firmness of the shift action, for each individual gear, from -25% up to +25%
- Rev Limit: Allows user to adjust ON/OFF rev limits, for each individual gear, in 10 rpm increments.
- Wheel Sizing:
Factory Wheel Size: Enter the factory tire size in XXX/XX-XX format, i.e. 275/40-17
Actual Wheel Size: Enter the actual tire size in XXX/XX-XX format, i.e. 305/35-18
The Predator then calculates the difference in overall height for proper speedo calibration.

On top of all this, the Predator gives OBDII Diagnostics Scanning and Monitoring. The end-user is able to read the codes and their definitions right on the Predator itself, and then reset them if they so choose. They are also able to monitor real time data from various sensors on the vehicle.

This is an ever evolving product that has limitless upgradeability for the future. This device is far more advanced than any other handheld unit out on the market. No other device offers all the control to the end-user as this one does. It has the largest screensize (8 line LCD display) of any unit, is the only programming handheld that monitors real time data, and displays the code definitions (so no going through a book to find out what P0136 means), and is the ONLY unit that offers the end-user the ability to download a new file or custom tune into their unit right from the convenience of their own home (no shipping the unit back and forth to have a new file installed on it, which is very inconvenient, and can get expensive).

This won't be a vehicle to really tune your vehicle. You will only be able to upload the generic diablo files and make a few small changes to that. On top of that, you can't upload your own file to the predator. The only file it will accept is a file encrypted by diablo.

Actually, this tool will be a great tuning device. There will be programming dealers, and then there will be dealers who just sell the product with generic files (buyer beware, IMHO). Programming dealers will be able to upload their custom files to the Predator just as they do now with the chips (these are the dealers you will want to use). The end-user (the customer who purchases the unit), will still have ALL the above controls I listed to modify on top of whatever their dealer builds into their tune. It's a win/win situation, but the end-user must be certain to always take care when adjusting fuel and spark, even if they can only do so at WOT.

That means after you pay for the unit, you will have to turn around and pay even more for a custom file for your vehicle. Sure they can send it to you over the internet, but it's a lot of money to pay for a device, then pay even more to get custom files from them. That could easily be $600 just for a tune, and you don't even get dyno time or a chart for that kind of money.

Ultimately, it's up to each individual dealer to decide if the customer is to be charged for custom work. If the dealer is ever charged, that is something that will be decided between them and DiabloSport.

Currently, there has yet to be any GM customer that has paid for a custom file. Custom GM files are built everyday, and the customers are installing the tune into their Predators via their home PC. DiabloSport and their dealers guarantee the tune, so if the customer is not satisfied with how it is making their vehicle perform, it will be fixed, for free! The only time a customer may be charged for anything, besides the cost of their unit, will be for files developed for heads/cam(s)/intake, NOS, Turbo, or non factory superchargers, and even then it's still a discretion based on each individual case, just as it is with any tuner with any company. The customer must always go through a dealer to receive a new tune, though. They will never have access to different files at will. Their dealer must decide what needs to be developed for the customer based on their preferences and modifications, just as is done now with chips.

On top of all this, within the coming few months the new DiabloSport Revolution software will be made available to well qualified dealers. They will have complete control over every tuning parameter within the pcm, not just for Ford vehicles, but also for GM vehicles. They will buy blank Predators and blank Revolution chips, and then program them to whatever they wish. As I'm sure you're aware of, Revolution is powerful software that allows limitless manipulation, so long as the template for such specific parameter is available, and if not, then you still are able to manipulate via hex.

I don't mean to bad mouth it. I was getting my hopes up, but it looks like this device is very similar in functionality to the superchips "power programmers" and such.

Brian, I know you're not being a bad mouth, as you're not that type of person at all. Here's a suggestion I will give you, and it's only advice, so take it for what it's worth: Contact Nick at DiabloSport, and tell him you're interested in the Revolution software when it becomes available. You'll have many more options this way.

JeffsLightning

Established Member
Originally posted by BrianH
Jeff, I will be doing a lot of tuning that weekend for travelers, so just let me know a month in advance so I can make space for you on the dyno.

I also checked, I can get 03 Cobra PCM's for $225 brand new. So I could sent out a flashed PCM with the performance program already on it for less than $450.

Brian

Brian I have an 01 Lightning. Whould I need to bring my own new pcm? So you will flash a dyno tuned program on my pcm for 225? Sounds good. Have you tuned many Gen 2 Lightnings? Thanks Jeff

03rocks

Established Member
So how long will it be before I can DL to my Ipaq and upload to the car from it?

Seems like its just a software deal that could be adapted for PDA's that people already own.

I am really stoked about the Predator. Thanks for all the information.

Users who are viewing this thread