Coolant leaking out back of motor

notagt

Established Member
Hi guys, been awhile and I have an issue. I have a Term motor in my Mach 1 and thought I had a radiator coolant leak out back driver side of motor, leaking down block onto top where shifter cable goes into housing. Never really noticed till I jacked up front end.Long story short, I have been doing coolant flushes after replacing EVERY part of coolant system and notice coolant level in my intercooler resvoir keeps dropping (one time earlier ICT climbed and I found tank empty).I have been reading threads and don't think it's the actual intercooler since no smoke out tailpipes or engine stumbling..idles perfect. Where could this be coming from to be leaking under the rear of the car? Still may have overheat problem I can't trace...car temp fine until I do one hard pull in boost, then temp climbs to 225-230 and doesn't want to come down..changed water pump, radiator, fan, 160 thermostat, iron block cleaner, 10 water flushes, new cap (though it's on a Morose metal tank and wonder if it's a thread issue).I can burp properly and I seem to still get air in system..passed leak down test and combustion gas test..thought where leak was it may have been rear freeze plug..now not so sure since IC tank level keeps dropping. Been chasing this overheat issue for a year and can't enjoy the car at all anymore..even have 2 tunes where on one fan on low as soon as you start the car and the other low on at 174, high at 181...when the temp climbs after the pull, fan running on high, won't come down, drive at 55 mph, won't come down..as long as I stay put of boost, will cruise at perfect temp all day...help !!! Sorry for the long 2 issue post, thanks guys.

hotcobra03

Established Member
on blower. cross over tubes have 4 orings. these will give out causimg leak. however. lower intake will fill up coolant.

there is a nipple on bottom for pcv hose. which here it can leak out and run down back of block

on engine running hot.

was it a new radiator?

than also backside of water pump under blower.

heater core tube has 2 orings. these can leak.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
on blower. cross over tubes have 4 orings. these will give out causimg leak. however. lower intake will fill up coolant.

there is a nipple on bottom for pcv hose. which here it can leak out and run down back of block

on engine running hot.

was it a new radiator?

I had a very similar issue when my crossover tube o-rings went bad. Coolant ran back from there and dropped down the bell housing. Replaced the orings and it has been good since.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Larry I posted over on M1R - get a cheapo coolant system pressure tester off amazon if you dont have one. I got one for like $45 for a hand pump one. You might just have to bite the bullet and take that whipple off so you can see back there. I dunno what intercooler res you're running but if the cap from the oem res will fit that tank so will this kit, pump it up to 15-16psi and get to looking around.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
What about a cracked intercooler? If the previous owner ran water in the system and let it freeze over the winter, the intercooler can crack. I’m not sure where the coolant would show it’s ugly head in this case, but your system would have a constant leak and your temps would rise with boost.

01yellercobra

Established Member
What about a cracked intercooler? If the previous owner ran water in the system and let it freeze over the winter, the intercooler can crack. I’m not sure where the coolant would show it’s ugly head in this case, but your system would have a constant leak and your temps would rise with boost.
A cracked intercooler would leak into the lower intake. I don't think it would be able to get to the valley. Unless its leaking through the PCV connection under the blower. Which I don't know if he has anymore.

notagt

Established Member
A cracked intercooler would leak into the lower intake. I don't think it would be able to get to the valley. Unless its leaking through the PCV connection under the blower. Which I don't know if he has anymore.

on engine running hot.

was it a new radiator?

Yea, radiator brand new. Not showing any symptoms of fluid getting in lower intake. Water pump new Edelbrock. I am sole owner living in SE GA so no freezing since car stays in a barn. Friend installed Whipple, not sure on the PCV, I know no EGR so guessing no PCV. Thanks DSG, I ordered a pressure tester/vacuum filler, I have a metal Canton tank so no stock cap, was thinking of red or blue food coloring and running the car and catch the leak. Someone else mentioned the o rings as well..let me guess, Ford specific like the crossover tube?? Guys thanks so much for the replies, got a new cap for resvoir to try and removing Teflon tape I wrapped on tank threads thinking I would get a better seal. I will update, and again, thanks for the replies !!

Last edited:

notagt

Established Member
Yes I do, Ford mechanic checked and he thought leak wasn't from there, I am gonna be installing a new clutch so on my coolant issue should have better sight, I am just wondering now if the leak along has been ic tank fluid and only showed itself once car was at angle from jacking the front...gonna try as well pulling 2 lines of IC tank, plug one and shoot lo pressure air and check leak, worth a try.

bigmoose

Established Member
Be careful with those 160* thermostats. They are usually the wrong size even though they are listed as compatible. They don't properly close off the bypass which can cause higher temps.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Be careful with those 160* thermostats. They are usually the wrong size even though they are listed as compatible. They don't properly close off the bypass which can cause higher temps.

Yes, get rid of the improperly fit thermostat and get a 170° version for much better cooling.

I sell the Stant (OE supplier) 170 that is an exact fit for less than $40: Termi-Stat Home

notagt

Established Member
Yes, get rid of the improperly fit thermostat and get a 170° version for much better cooling.

I sell the Stant (OE supplier) 170 that is an exact fit for less than $40: Termi-Stat Home

Dang, didn't know that, bought a Mishmoto from AM, give me some info will get one from you before I seal it all up.

notagt

Established Member
I got in T stat..thanks. Update: my idea worked. Car is jacked up in front, drained IC tank and filled with water and 2 bottles red food coloring. I ran the car and put a white towel under bellhousing..came out next day and bright red spot was there...so not a coolant leak. Gonna order the IC manifold o rings..do I need a gasket as well? How hard a job is it to change those o-rings??? Thanks.

hotcobra03

Established Member
i would pull the lower intake and blower as 1 unit and clean intercooler replace o rings and pcv hose.

new lower intake gasket.

notagt

Established Member
Thanks, I know IC is clean, no sign of fluid out exhausr..can I change those o rings from the bottom pulling pulley bridge? As well PCV is deleted.

hotcobra03

Established Member
1501514074.jpg

what if this is happening?

fluid should stay like this..

a leak would allow fluid to flow out which will just turn into an issue with po 171/174.

20180517_122240.jpg

than this

Users who are viewing this thread