Crash & Death at the NOLA Wannagofast 1/2 mile today (RIP Jeff Hagaman)

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
No one is putting a 10 point cage in their Lambo or street car because Wally thinks it's prudent for the once or twice you might run.

if this person was in a basically stock lambo or just mild stuff done, I see your point and would agree. Its the same reason theyll let a bone stock car run at the drag strip without a cage. You don't build a 2000+hp 200+mph lambo to take out once or twice nor are you concerned with this kinda stuff hurting its value.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Supposedly semi ejected is what i saw on another forum and ripped limb from limb. Hopefully it was quick

The way it rolled, I'd imagine that he wasnt conscious after the initial roll. Probably felt little to nothing. I hope.
Hopefully everyone seeing the aftermath, him losing his life, uses it as a lesson in safety and as a way to appreciate life a little more while they are here.

Zemedici

Established Member
if this person was in a basically stock lambo or just mild stuff done, I see your point and would agree. Its the same reason theyll let a bone stock car run at the drag strip without a cage. You don't build a 2000+hp 200+mph lambo to take out once or twice nor are you concerned with this kinda stuff hurting its value.

This. Not to mention a stock Lamborghini won’t go NEAR 200mph....

Heavily modified cars need heavy safety equipment. Just a shitty situation all around.

@Curt@Injected glad you guys are safe, Brandon said from the way the track is at the finish that literally could have been ANY fast car. Yikes....shitty weekend.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Let's be totally honest here. An honest question for anyone who actually races regularly. When you go to your local track on a Friday night, do you walk the track and do a shakedown run before ever making a pass every time? Or are you trusting the track officials to make sure the track is suitable for racing? Do you inspect the track every time a guy in front of you drops something and there is clean up, or do you trust the track officials?

I'm not saying there isn't responsibility on the driver. Anybody going that fast should be aware of the risks and take the necessary steps to keep themselves safe but the track was not suitable for those kinds of speeds.
When I was racing bikes, yes, I walked the track before any event. My first pass for tuning was always a shakedown pass.

That changed nothing when it was time to race. Bumps or no bumps, we were there to win.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
Anyone who says the driver should walk to track prior to a 1/2 mile race should taste the fuel coming out of the pump in case it is water... you know, just in case. It's the drivers responsibility, right? Better check the fuel pumped into the car is not water.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I foresee that being the last race for this event, and everything else will probably be heavily scrutinized on any other event of this type.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
FFS. I've raced at NOLA, and this event's "shutdown" zone is the roadcourse braking zone for turn 1. It is bumpy as hell - the car literally surfs from asphalt peak to peak, and it throws the car side to side as you are trying to slow down because the grip is so variable as the tires lands after each bump. It's sketchy at 160 MPH in a high-aero GT car; I would absolutely not want to be going 210 in a street car there.

But where the bumps are there is another half mile of shutdown should you miss the turn. For the road course. I’ve raced there a few times during the track nights. Turn 1 is not the end if the track

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
I foresee that being the last race for this event, and everything else will probably be heavily scrutinized on any other event of this type.

GA was just cancelled because it was "unsafe ". Only took multiple events to determine that. Ocala in Florida is super gravely at the top end. I was going to attend it next month but no longer going to attend.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
GA was just cancelled because it was "unsafe ". Only took multiple events to determine that. Ocala in Florida is super gravely at the top end. I was going to attend it next month but no longer going to attend.

It's a shame someone had to loose his life already

Zemedici

Established Member

Where’d you see that?

boduke0220

Established Member
Really hate this Happening. Jeff was an awesome guy. This event coupled with the FAA issues will likely cripple 1/2 mile racing events.

Zemedici

Established Member
Really hate this Happening. Jeff was an awesome guy. This event coupled with the FAA issues will likely cripple 1/2 mile racing events.

Incorrect. FAA issues were only with one gentleman. Other people / companies have not had issues....

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
Where’d you see that?
Statement was made prior to NOLA
Screenshot_20180924-124123_Chrome.jpg

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
But where the bumps are there is another half mile of shutdown should you miss the turn. For the road course. I’ve raced there a few times during the track nights. Turn 1 is not the end if the track

The problem with a bumpy braking zone is that it destabilizes the car. If the bumps simply reduced braking, not a problem as you observe, you can overshoot the corner entry and go into the runoff.

The crash video from the 1/2 mile event shows the car running off the right side of the track and into the grass, then tumbling -- at that point the amount of additional runoff available is unfortunately no longer relevant :(

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
The problem with a bumpy braking zone is that it destabilizes the car. If the bumps simply reduced braking, not a problem as you observe, you can overshoot the corner entry and go into the runoff.

The crash video from the 1/2 mile event shows the car running off the right side of the track and into the grass, then tumbling -- at that point the amount of additional runoff available is unfortunately no longer relevant :(
I did not see the video, but 200mph and no cage is trouble.

I've been 211 on a bike. All that protected my stupid butt in case of a crash was kevlar, carbon fiber, padding, and leather. As long as you are able to slide to a stop, all is good. If you tumble, or have an abrupt impact, no safety gear can prevent the inevitable.

A car is different if it has a cage, Hanz device, etc, then you can come out unscathed. All bets are off if you flop about within the car.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread