Cruise Control surge after TVS

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
The one that came with the kit.

Then in that case, as long as it is tuned properly the throttle body should not be an issue. That is the same throttle body that comes stock on 2007 to 2012 GT500's.

I already mentioned one thing that helps with the throttle surge, but whether it was missed or just ignored I dont know.

kevinp

Established Member
Then in that case, as long as it is tuned properly the throttle body should not be an issue. That is the same throttle body that comes stock on 2007 to 2012 GT500's.

I already mentioned one thing that helps with the throttle surge, but whether it was missed or just ignored I dont know.

I missed it.

I might try a restrictor in the bypass hose for the heck of it, simple enough to try. Honestly mine isnt that bad but now that I'm paying attention its annoying me a little..

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
Well unfortunately the revise did not help..Can you all explain this restrictor option and explain where it goes , where to get it,etc..

kevinp

Established Member
In the vacuum line between the bypass diaphragm and vacuum source. What you are doing is trying to dampen/delay the action of the bypass valve with a smaller hole. I have a small set of number drills and I just drill a tiny hole in a small piece of round plastic that fits snug in the vacuum hose. Just make sure it doesnt get sucked in the manifold :) Some people pinch the hose with a wire tie too, same effect but a little harder to regulate the size, you can use something a straw from a WD40 can, cut it short, put in the vacuum hose and crank a wire tie on it. Bad thing is it could get sucked into the intake if it comes loose. There is a lot of ways of doing it..

I am sick as a dog today so I didnt get a chance to mess with it, maybe tomorrow if I feel better.

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
In the vacuum line between the bypass diaphragm and vacuum source. What you are doing is trying to dampen/delay the action of the bypass valve with a smaller hole. I have a small set of number drills and I just drill a tiny hole in a small piece of round plastic that fits snug in the vacuum hose. Just make sure it doesnt get sucked in the manifold :) Some people pinch the hose with a wire tie too, same effect but a little harder to regulate the size, you can use something a straw from a WD40 can, cut it short, put in the vacuum hose and crank a wire tie on it. Bad thing is it could get sucked into the intake if it comes loose. There is a lot of ways of doing it..

I am sick as a dog today so I didnt get a chance to mess with it, maybe tomorrow if I feel better.

Take pics when you do! :beer:

The dealer that installed the blower wants to go back over it and check everything,so i am taking it by there Monday...Justin said to drive the car a few days and see if the computer learns the new tune.

Bud

Established Member
Interesting about the restricter in the line to the bypass. Will have to give this a shot.

kevinp

Established Member
I tried it today, didnt notice much difference but mine doesnt do it that bad.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
I tried it today, didnt notice much difference but mine doesnt do it that bad.

Which end of the vacuum line did you put the orifice in. Closest to the bypass or closest to manifold. Also, what did you use as a restrictor. What size is the hole.

kevinp

Established Member
Which end of the vacuum line did you put the orifice in. Closest to the bypass or closest to manifold. Also, what did you use as a restrictor. What size is the hole.

I used a new line to test. put a small piece of brass rod in the hose closer to the manifold, just used the smallest drill I had on the bench, .5mm, thats .019. Should be small enough to make a difference.

Like I said mine really doesnt do it bad, driving it for a year I never noticed it until I read this post and listened for it.

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
All the success stories on this set up,and mine has to be the reject :D

The dealer that did the install wants me to bring it back up there so they can check and re-check everything,So i am doing just that Monday,but i really doubt it is the install causing the issues. I checked everything myself before even posting about it,but it is worth a shot. I will keep everyone posted.

kevinp

Established Member
All the success stories on this set up,and mine has to be the reject :D

The dealer that did the install wants me to bring it back up there so they can check and re-check everything,So i am doing just that Monday,but i really doubt it is the install causing the issues. I checked everything myself before even posting about it,but it is worth a shot. I will keep everyone posted.

Yea, unless there is a big vacuum leak somewhere or hose hooked up wrong (which is pretty hard to do) I doubt its an install issue. Did your guy put a check valve on the brake booster, if not maybe thats screwing with the vacuum signal some and causing a surge.

JerryC

Established Member
After the surge not being much of an issue for me for long time, it came on with a vengence the last couple of days.

It has dropped below freezeing here and I suspect that is what triggered it. I gave it some throttle to ease around a car on teh highway and I ending looking like a jackass with my hood bobbing up down. let out didnt help and it kept going until I punched it hard enough to downshift.

Coming away from the gas pumps it started surging at 1000rpm. On this tune it has never done that before.

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
Yea, unless there is a big vacuum leak somewhere or hose hooked up wrong (which is pretty hard to do) I doubt its an install issue. Did your guy put a check valve on the brake booster, if not maybe thats screwing with the vacuum signal some and causing a surge.

Never thought of that. Does it come with the kit? My wife did in fact make a comment about the brakes feeling different to her.

Sorry guys,i kinda wished i haven't posted about this issue..It seems like all of us TVS guys are having issues now. Do we need to go ahead and start a "maybe we should have bought a procharger because it keeps your stock throttle body" club? I wonder if any of the procharger guys are having issues?

:??: :bash:

Bud

Established Member
After the surge not being much of an issue for me for long time, it came on with a vengence the last couple of days.

It has dropped below freezeing here and I suspect that is what triggered it. I gave it some throttle to ease around a car on teh highway and I ending looking like a jackass with my hood bobbing up down. let out didnt help and it kept going until I punched it hard enough to downshift.

Coming away from the gas pumps it started surging at 1000rpm. On this tune it has never done that before.

Try reflashing your car with the same tune. For some reason after a fresh flash my surging goes away, sometimes for hundreds of miles. Kind of wierd, almost like it is adaptively learning something over many miles that starts it happening.

Mine really surged bad on a trip mid summer in 90+ temps so don't think the cold would cause it.

When it happens I just learn to drive outside of the throttle percentage where the surging occurs. Means taking off from lights a lot quicker than I want, but better than the hood bobbing you mentioned :shrug:

Sorry guys,i kinda wished i haven't posted about this issue..It seems like all of us TVS guys are having issues now. Do we need to go ahead and start a "maybe we should have bought a procharger because it keeps your stock throttle body" club? I wonder if any of the procharger guys are having issues?

I don't think we need a "shoulda bought a procharger" thread. Most of us are running a stock gt500 throttle body so doubt that is it, it is tuning around it. These ecm's are new and especially on auto cars with pd blowers the instant boost seems to be taking some work to figure out how to fully get under control. Add in the logging software not always being helpful and it is just an uphill battle on new cars. I still love the car, the blower, the stupid power and times it puts down.

Last edited:

JerryC

Established Member

Not in my case. I just want it to be perfect. Or perfect for me.
I'm extemely happy with the TVS, even with the surge.

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
Try reflashing your car with the same tune. For some reason after a fresh flash my surging goes away, sometimes for hundreds of miles. Kind of wierd, almost like it is adaptively learning something over many miles that starts it happening.

Mine really surged bad on a trip mid summer in 90+ temps so don't think the cold would cause it.

When it happens I just learn to drive outside of the throttle percentage where the surging occurs. Means taking off from lights a lot quicker than I want, but better than the hood bobbing you mentioned :shrug:

I have re loaded my tune,no help.. I think mine should have been a 57 red plymouth fury,lol

kevinp

Established Member
Never thought of that. Does it come with the kit? My wife did in fact make a comment about the brakes feeling different to her.

I have read about FI cars with the stock TB having some surge and throttle weirdness too, turned up idle speed to keep from dying and minor driveability issues so its not just you (or us). These things are pretty complex tune-wise and with them running lean most of the time for emissions and fuel economy its going to take a while to get everything straightened out. The stock Roush car with the blower I drove had the similar feeling throttle and would surge some when coming to a stop with the clutch in so who knows.

The check valve doesnt come with the 'tuner' kit, manual trans cars come with a check valve on the brake booster, auto cars just have a elbow and the check valve is towards the front by the TB. If its not used the brakes will feel funny on decel and you may get some idle/surging issues.

Not sure what they do for the new auto kits they sell now or if thats what you have, but I just used a HELP universal brake booster check valve from autozone.

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
Not in my case. I just want it to be perfect. Or perfect for me.
I'm extemely happy with the TVS, even with the surge.

I am happy with mine at WOT. I just wish it would be a little more dd friendly for my wife..

Last edited:

JerryC

Established Member

I don't think we need a "shoulda bought a procharger" thread. These ecm's are new and especially on auto cars with pd blowers the instant boost seems to be taking some work to figure out how to fully get under control. Add in the logging software not always being helpful and it is just an uphill battle on new cars. I still love the car, the blower, the stupid power and times it puts down.

I was emailing Justin about tune updates from him and telling one tune was better than another with regard to the surging. I flashed prbably six times in one day doing testing. He wrote back that tehre was nothing different in teh tunes with regard to the surge.

I came to the conclusion it had more to do with how the computer learned on the first startup after the flash. Flashing the car cold as stone, so it could do the full learn cycle really seemed to subdue the surge vs flash and drive.

I've been running on the same flash for months, may be worth doing. i wonder if batter cable pull would do the trick as well.

Users who are viewing this thread