Cruise Control surge after TVS

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
Just installed the roush TVS,and i am very pleased with everything,but at highway speeds it will surge under a load (going up a grade) when using the cruise.... What to check/look for?

Thanks.James

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Mines never done that. What tune are you running in it? And yes, it could be bypass flutter if the vacuum is wavering at the tipping point possibly.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
I would suggest data logging the occurence and send it to your tuner and describe what is going on.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Yep, autos and cruise will do that with the blowers. The solution is partly in the tuning, and partly in an orifice that we place in the vacuum line between the manifold and the bypass. The 3v Kenne Bell kits do the same thing to help eliminate the surging.

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
Mines never done that. What tune are you running in it? And yes, it could be bypass flutter if the vacuum is wavering at the tipping point possibly.

I have a VMP tune.. I will start by going back over all the lines and making sure nothing has came loose..Then i will call Justin..

JerryC

Established Member
Mine did that with the first VMP tune I had. i asked Justin to put to a "stock like" throttle sensitivity and the surging is almost gone. It pops up here and there as more of a bobble now.

Justin said that he would have this fixed at the next SCT update, I have not asked him about that so maybe he already has a fix.

jayman33

I myself have been having issues with my tune. My tuner has been working on trying to dial it in but we're at a loss right now. I have a "bobble" issue from 2500rpm to around 3500rpm but only during normal driving. During WOT it's fine other than my 1st gear which is a limp dog. Its been driving me crazy, it's hard to explain but it does "bobble" or I get a "floating" feeling. Everything on my kit from what I've seen looks good. Could it be a bad bypass? Also I'm getting all of a sudden a DTC P0451 which is the EVAP emissions sensor but these characteristics/ issues have been occuring before this.

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
Still no resolve..Also the idle is not good.. Could it be in the throttle body?

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
Still no resolve..Also the idle is not good.. Could it be in the throttle body?

Every once in a while the idle on mine would surge and die in neutral (never in drive), I was able to play around with some idle parameters to at least make it not die, it will still surge but it catches itself now. Only happened if I let it sit and idle in park for a few minutes. These things are so lean at idle in nuetral/park it doesnt take much to kill it.

I was on highway the other day with the cruise on and I paid attention to it, turned the radio down and when going up a large hill you could hear it surge a little so i know what you are talking about with that. Just never really noticed it, if I had a louder exhaust it would sound worse I'm sure. I didnt really feel anything but you could hear it.

Unfortunately with drive by wire on these you are at the mercy of the computer and tuner, I have the PRP software but I have no access to the ETC tables so I cant even look at them :(

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
Yeah, the issues I am having is very noticeable , with my wife driving the car mostly , I really would like to at least get the idle to do better. I just got off the phone with Justin(we have been playing phone tag the last few days), and he sent me a revision. It will be tonight before I can get it in the car. I am keeping my fingers crossed! Lol

JerryC

Established Member
Yeah, the issues I am having is very noticeable , with my wife driving the car mostly , I really would like to at least get the idle to do better. I just got off the phone with Justin(we have been playing phone tag the last few days), and he sent me a revision. It will be tonight before I can get it in the car. I am keeping my fingers crossed! Lol

I was watching my aeroforce gauge and the surge would happen mostly around 22-25% throttle. The initial tune put me in that range a lot, it was the natural throttle position for when I would accelerate. Also if I used the cruise button to speed up it hit that same range. The "old man tune" let's me naturally avoid that throttle range so I hardly get that surge now.

Users who are viewing this thread