Cut a hole in my dash (for gauges)

SNAKESWINGER

Established Member
You've got to be kidding, thats the gaudiest looking mod I've seen. Bet you could make the cover of import racer magazine with that interior. You do have some neon and glowing pedals to go with that right. Sorry dudes I know a bunch of you guys like it, but you couldnt pay me to be seen riding in that thing

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by SNAKESWINGER
You've got to be kidding, thats the gaudiest looking mod I've seen. Bet you could make the cover of import racer magazine with that interior. You do have some neon and glowing pedals to go with that right. Sorry dudes I know a bunch of you guys like it, but you couldnt pay me to be seen riding in that thing
With 41 replies, I'm surprised I didn't get a comment like this sooner, oh well, to each his own. but "the gaudiest" you've ever seen? I highly doubt that.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I'm not a big fan of painted interiors, but you did an excellent job. Good work.

Jimmylh

Established Member
Looks like you did a good job installing those gauges. Although I would never do that to my car, I'm not here to put down what you did to yours. The dash board pod reminds me of the clock on my old 96GT. I think it would look more classy if the mods you made were left unpainted but thats just my preference. I think your re-sell value just dropped, but if you plan on keeping it for a long time then I guess that does not matter.

Last edited:

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Why would the re-sell value drop:shrug: . The car looks great and if he ever tired of it or wanted to return it to original condition replacing the dash and those few parts is simple.

Road Racin'

Termanata' Killa'
Established Member
btw, Saleen color match paints the door pulls inside the car. Those are nearly $40,000 GT's. I would guess his car is worth an easy 50,000. The color matching looks good, some people just like more then others.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Another request for a night shot.

How did you get the center console trim off? Mine rattles at the very top and I'm thinking of eventually reinstalling with more "stuff" behind it or replacing it with a silver Mach 1 style.

Btw, what bulb covers are you using?

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by 03 DSG Snake
Another request for a night shot.

How did you get the center console trim off? Mine rattles at the very top and I'm thinking of eventually reinstalling with more "stuff" behind it or replacing it with a silver Mach 1 style.

Btw, what bulb covers are you using?
I'm still working on the night shot, and in fact, I think I'll wait till I get the gauge lighting figured out. I am not using bulb covers, I am using the green bulbs that autozone sells, they are a nicer color than the cover, but I think they are much too dim, I wonder if they are a different wattage than the ones supplied with the gauge? it seems to take a lot of light for these side lit gauges, otherwise they are dark in the center. I orderd some LED gauge lights, a 6 LED cluster, on a wedge base, we'll see how that works. They are pretty directional compared to a bulb, but with enough light "bouncing around" in there, maybe it will be better, I wonder if there are reflectors in the gauge, to direct the light?

P.S. oh, the trim around the radio just pulls off, there are no screws, just those metal spring clips, You have to pull kinda hard, and then it'll just let go and be in your hands.

Last edited:

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by jmir018
can you take a picture at night time?? i would love to see what all those gauges look like at night. thanks
Well I've been hesitant to post this night shot for two reasons; 1st of all, I can't really get a great shot, my camera just really sucks in low light, even on a tripod, and 2nd, the LEDs just don't match the stock lighting, they are too green. The gauges look awesome during the day, (ultra lites) but at night, even with the correct color, the side lit style just leaves a lot to be desired. I wish they were back lit, or they made the Lunars in more types of gauges.

nightshot.JPG

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by a94cobra
Ouch to cutting the dash. WOW that is a lot of guages and WOW that is a lot of Blue!
Ditto for sure. We all have our own ideas for personalization. You did a very professional job. Enjoy! :beer:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Just curious Bbri, but what did you want that wasn't available in Lunars? I just put in Lunars, and got dual pyros (R+L banks), Tach, 30psi boost/vac, fuel pressure, and water temp (for the IC). Next guages I put in will be in a custom intrument cluster with speedo, water temp, oil pressure, fuel level, and voltmeter. I can't think of anything else I would need. Is there something I am missing?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
Just curious Bbri, but what did you want that wasn't available in Lunars? I just put in Lunars, and got dual pyros (R+L banks), Tach, 30psi boost/vac, fuel pressure, and water temp (for the IC). Next guages I put in will be in a custom intrument cluster with speedo, water temp, oil pressure, fuel level, and voltmeter. I can't think of anything else I would need. Is there something I am missing?
I was wondering the same thing. I couldn't find anything missing in the Lunar line. :shrug:

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
Just curious Bbri, but what did you want that wasn't available in Lunars?
Oil temp is missing in the Lunar line. (no mechanical or electric offered)(more important than a voltmeter in my opinion, although If I had more room, I'd have them all :) ) Also, I don't like the 30 psi on the Lunar Boost, Most of our cars will never see close to that, I have the 20 Psi ultra lite, and I get a nice BIG sweep of the needle with the 2.8 pulley.

Edit, Nor do they have a full sweep electrical oil pressure gauge. Other than that the LUNARS are awesome, I hope they expand the line.

Last edited:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by BBriBro
Oil temp is missing in the Lunar line. (no mechanical or electric offered)(more important than a voltmeter in my opinion, although If I had more room, I'd have them all :) ) Also, I don't like the 30 psi on the Lunar Boost, Most of our cars will never see close to that, I have the 20 Psi ultra lite, and I get a nice BIG sweep of the needle with the 2.8 pulley.

Edit, Nor do they have a full sweep electrical oil pressure gauge. Other than that the LUNARS are awesome, I hope they expand the line.

Ah, I can live without oil temp. And I hope to see 30psi with the turbo and a good 7:1 CR motor once I blow this one into little tiny pieces :D

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by BBriBro
Sure it's not necessary, but can you really say that a voltmeter is more important ?

Well, no, of course not. I will just have an extra spot in the center cluster to fill, and the voltmeter is about all that is left. :thumbsup:

bskinner

ok thats it im bustin out the paint on my dark shadow grey. i love the night shot its kinda cool cuz you can tell there is something extra in there but it doesnt look stupid, maybe Darth Vaders bathroom but not stupid. a first class job congrats.
how did you tape off the A/C vents to where they didnt get any overspray on them. i just would like the details on the painting of the dash and also the surgery for the dash pods.

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by SPEEDTRAPZ
how did you tape off the A/C vents to where they didnt get any overspray on them.
The center air vents pop out, they have two nubs where they pivot, that fit into little sockets, you can just pop them out, then I taped off the black ductwork that is not removeable. It was a separate piece, but then they "melt" them together with those little plastic rivet looking things, kinda like the trim around the shifter too, so pop the vents out, then you will have to mask a little bit inside there. What info did you need on the pod?

Users who are viewing this thread