Destroyed Piston from 2015 Mustang GT

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member
yes 100% all stock. between this and the post regarding the fire inside a members 2015. my confidence in this new model is fading fast.

Good for you.

the owner states 3 others just like his had same thing happen. all were GT 6spd man with track pack option.

Like the other "3" who had fires but never came forward?

Scott GT/CS

Established Member
How did he hear about the 3 other Mustangs? I imagine they didn't happen in the same area. Has any one else seen or heard of it?

you would have to ask him about the other ones. I listed his name so he's easy to find. his words were "3rd car to do it in the nation"

Scott

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
you would have to ask him about the other ones. I listed his name so he's easy to find. his words were "3rd car to do it in the nation"

Scott

Scott,

The only reason I question that is who would have told him it was the 3rd one?

The dealership wouldn't know. The service manager wouldn't know. No one here has heard of it. Ford Motor Company isn't going to tell him that.

Deranged2013

Established Member
Well it doesn't look like detonation at all. Looks like a casting or wrist pin failure. I wish Ford had used the same forged pistons that they used with the Boss.

Scott GT/CS

Established Member
Scott,

The only reason I question that is who would have told him it was the 3rd one?

The dealership wouldn't know. The service manager wouldn't know. No one here has heard of it. Ford Motor Company isn't going to tell him that.

Oh I agree with you 100%. I'd like to know how he found out about the other ones also. I did a extensive search and found nothing. Time will tell I suppose. don't kill the messenger.. LOL :bash:

Scott

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
More pictures

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
That's quite the failure.

I guess there is a chance it was a manufacturing defect and it let go under stock conditions. If humans build it there will be problems, considering the amount of cars out this seems like more of an isolated incident. Even if there are 3 failures in the same way..

If it is an engineering/manufacturing problem I'm sure we will find out soon enough.

AZBOSS

Established Member
CEL = Change Engine Light :eek:

Very interested to hear more details about this--almost impossible to tell the circumstances of what happened based on the "info" at hand. Certainly doesn't look like the typical "#8" failure mode seen in the 11-14 Coyotes.

Last edited:

RJ13GT

Established Member
Blinking engine light= really bad misfire situation. Possible hydrolock. If your engine light blinks turn the engine off right away. Park it and get a tow truck.

Last edited:

silver50

Established Member
Why is it hard to believe that this could be damage from a stock tune? the 11-14 had issues with the stock tune mustangs losing the #8 cylinder. My mustang '11 had a cam phaser failure that totaled my entire engine around 5500 miles. My car was completely stock down to the tune, but it still let go. Shaun from Aed posted a while back that there was an inherent problem with the ford stock tune. people didn't usually have problems as long as they didn't stay WOT for more than a few seconds. I believe the ford tune problem would show up if you went WOT for around 7 seconds or more. I'm not saying this could possibly be something else, but to say that this is impossible to happen under stock form is insane to believe.

Branhammer

Established Member
It's not impossible that the stock tune did this....but it's about as improbable as all get out.

Users who are viewing this thread