Destroyed Piston from 2015 Mustang GT

Dcrypter

Established Member
Agreed a blinking CEL is a misfire. Wonder if an injector stuck? I don't see this being a factory tune issue. I could see it being related to a tune though. For those that work at Ford can you see if the car has been tuned?

There is a counter that goes up every time the pcm gets tuned. From the factory this number is 1. It can't be reset even by the ford so if that number is anything but 1 it's been tuned.

Dcrypter

Established Member
As a side note if ford does an update that number will go up as well and they will record the new number in the database. As long as the car and the database always match then the car hasn't had an aftermarket tune on it.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm curious on how he has been driving the car. A few spirited drives every now and then or was he constantly beating on it everywhere he went.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
That's mechanical failure. Either a bad gig from the factory or an incomplete story. That's not a bad tune lean condition or excessive timing ping.

And one Fire and one piston out of 15,000 some odd cars built (that's just an estimate, not even close to right probably, but you get the idea) does not a rash of failures make. Does not a recall make and does not a problem make. It's the bathtub curve of mechanical equipment failures. We'll see the most failures at the start of the life and at the end (many many miles).

heatsoaked12

Established Member
Blinking engine light= really bad misfire situation. Possible hydrolock. If your engine light blinks turn the engine off right away. Park it and get a tow truck.

This is funny, My work van has had a blinking engine light at highway speeds at 110 kph since 4000 kms on the odometer. Took it in to the dealer and other mechanics several times but no one can fix it. It now has 442 000 kms on it, runs like it did when it was new and never burns oil nor has the engine ever been opened. If I pulled it over and called a tow truck every time the engine light flashed I wouldn't have made it to a single job site since 2006.

Last edited:

3.7cyclone

AKA Bananana, 5.0yote
Established Member
This needs confirmation, also same thing for the fire guy, he stated there were others who made the same claims but none of them would come forward, which is odd.

Last edited:

3.7cyclone

AKA Bananana, 5.0yote
Established Member
I'm curious on how he has been driving the car. A few spirited drives every now and then or was he constantly beating on it everywhere he went.

Also curious to see if these guys are letting the car break in before they are going all commando on em...

SVTPete83

Established Member
Subbin and waiting for the svt detectives to get on this shit and solve the case!

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
The fact that this guy works for the dealership performing the repair makes it sound even fishier. I can't imagine it being to hard to have the guy who you work next to overlook the area that the nitrous box used to be secured to, etc. I've never heard of this happening on any make, at any time before this. At least not on a stock motor. That destruction is right in line with nitrous.

RJ13GT

Established Member
This is funny, My work van has had a blinking engine light at highway speeds at 110 kph since 4000 kms on the odometer. Took it in to the dealer and other mechanics several times but no one can fix it. It now has 442 000 kms on it, runs like it did when it was new and never burns oil nor has the engine ever been opened. If I pulled it over and called a tow truck every time the engine light flashed I wouldn't have made it to a single job site since 2006.
It flashes to alert that there is a serious misfire. Continue to drive on it and results will vary. From a damaged engine to a melted converter. Yours could be a fluke if the van runs good otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread