Destroyed Piston from 2015 Mustang GT

Crazed_RedNeck

Not a Four-6...
Established Member
I wont lie, because my car received a forged bottom end instead of a factory replacement, i run the dog sh*t out of my 2011, i made a pass with a 5th gen camaro about an hour prior to my car getting a knock. About 15miles later the rod let go, another 10 miles after that my car made it home on 7 cylinders. I wasnt worried about the factory junk so i said to hell with it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418019416945.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418019416945.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 770
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418019436637.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418019436637.jpeg
    502.9 KB · Views: 813

mod.notch

The Sleeper
Established Member
Ouch.

Looks like a simple Dry Nitrous bolt-on gone wrong.

Too easy to try and spray some crack in front of the MAF, and go into literally....Smoke.

Another Mustang killed due to some moron.

RIP.

PS. Im assuming this is what happened.

mod.notch

The Sleeper
Established Member
I wont lie, because my car received a forged bottom end instead of a factory replacement, i run the dog sh*t out of my 2011, i made a pass with a 5th gen camaro about an hour prior to my car getting a knock. About 15miles later the rod let go, another 10 miles after that my car made it home on 7 cylinders. I wasnt worried about the factory junk so i said to hell with it.

Holy ****! Your car made it for another 10 miles with an windowed motor!!!!! :eek:

Now, that's what Im talking about FORD STRONG!!!! I cant imagine any Chevy product to be able to accomplish that! lol!!! :thumbsup: :bowdown:

02 WIFE

Established Member
Holy ****! Your car made it for another 10 miles with an windowed motor!!!!! :eek:

Now, that's what Im talking about FORD STRONG!!!! I cant imagine any Chevy product to be able to accomplish that! lol!!! :thumbsup: :bowdown:

The Chevy would not blow in the first place.

mod.notch

The Sleeper
Established Member
lol!

I dont know about that bro'. Have you heard of the C6Z06 valve guide problem and dropping valves? I worry about it just about every day and it sucks balzs!

Crazed_RedNeck

Not a Four-6...
Established Member
lol!

I dont know about that bro'. Have you heard of the C6Z06 valve guide problem and dropping valves? I worry about it just about every day and it sucks balzs!
I actually own a Turbo 6.0 Camaro now. And i have heard of and seen a valve drop in a Z06. This is a friend of mines RHS Shortblock and Frankenstein Heads, had less then 100miles on the complete motor. Talking about sick, because that he was.

09bfded43051b0627b1300d09fe0540a.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418044967775.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418044967775.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 695
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418044975377.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418044975377.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 697
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418044982059.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418044982059.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 697
Last edited:

mod.notch

The Sleeper
Established Member
I actually own a Turbo 6.0 Camaro now. And i have heard of and seen a valve drop in a Z06. This is a friend of mines RHS Shortblock and Frankenstein Heads, had less then 100miles on the complete motor. Talking about sick, because that he was.

09bfded43051b0627b1300d09fe0540a.jpg

****! That hurts!

Lots of $$$ down the drainage. Was the geometry of the VT checked? What was it related? Only 100 miles, 90% sure it was something wrong with the install.

Did they figure it out?

Crazed_RedNeck

Not a Four-6...
Established Member
****! That hurts!

Lots of $$$ down the drainage. Was the geometry of the VT checked? What was it related? Only 100 miles, 90% sure it was something wrong with the install.

Did they figure it out?
Not sure the cause, all i know is, the retainer lock fell out during a wot pull. I can't and don't want to give you any false info. I wasn't there for tear down, I just used these photos from my friends Facebook. I was just there when the car made the pass when the engine failed.

mod.notch

The Sleeper
Established Member
Not sure the cause, all i know is, the retainer lock fell out during a wot pull. I can't and don't want to give you any false info. I wasn't there for tear down, I just used these photos from my friends Facebook. I was just there when the car made the pass when the engine failed.

Sucks either way. Sorry for the loss. RIP.

Here is a Z06 that just died possibly due to an install error....lash cap not installed.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...9d1417972015-problems-in-germany-dsc02278.jpg

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...0d1417972015-problems-in-germany-dsc02277.jpg

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...6d1417983570-problems-in-germany-dsc02294.jpg

Crazed_RedNeck

Not a Four-6...
Established Member
Last edited:

02 WIFE

Established Member
lol!

You know what I got a buddy with a 08 z06 and his dropped a valve early this year. I guess I spoke too soon. Isn't the problem the valve guides?

SHELBYSVT20

Established Member
Does not surprise me at all. Ford quality and durability sucks! Ford is the second worst nameplate (MFR) in terms of reliability and quality according to Consumer Reports' latest reliability ratings as well as JD Power's reliability ratings and Dependability studies. I won't buy another Ford again after having owned more than 12 different Mustangs and Shelby's in my lifetime. Lol

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
I don't care what anyone claims... There is no way in hell this was done with a stock tune. Ford's knock/timing strategy is set up to prevent this very thing from happening.

We're making in excess of 800bhp with our 2015, and we have another one making around 750bhp.. Both with twin screw superchargers. We've hammered the crap out of them, and they haven't flinched. We've scoped the bores, we've leak-down and compression tested them. There is nothing that we can see that would indicate that the pistons in this engine are any weaker than the S197 Coyote pistons.

I'd suspect nitrous.. probably a single fogger or plate, without progressive control. A huge surge in cylinder pressure/TQ at low engine speed is just the type of thing to break a wrist pin, or the piston itself. I would guess a pin failure.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Does not surprise me at all. Ford quality and durability sucks! Ford is the second worst nameplate (MFR) in terms of reliability and quality according to Consumer Reports' latest reliability ratings as well as JD Power's reliability ratings and Dependability studies. I won't buy another Ford again after having owned more than 12 different Mustangs and Shelby's in my lifetime. Lol
Ford sucks. They are terrible. Says the guy that has owned 12 of them lol.

SHELBYSVT20

Established Member
I sure "was" a proud and loyal owner of a triple black Shelby GT500. I guess you are in denial that Ford is one of the worst MFR in terms of reliability and dependability as reported by many highly respected automotive rating agencies as I have already mentioned. This is not me saying this as much as the so called experts have reported. And don't get me started about Fords lack of customer service and care. Leaves a LOT to be desired as compared to the competition. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread