Does money grow on branches?

mysterio

Established Member
thepizz, understandable and a valid point. My degree isn't dormant, the MLM is just another source of income. It's using leverage to gain more work hours in a day without exhausting myself. There are people way smarter than myself involved with these types of businesses. At the time it was worth a look to me, then it was worth the risk and i'll add that i'm a risk adverse guy.

Hmm. I dated a girl at one time that was into Amway, which is MLM whether they want to admit it or not. Also had a roomie that was in A.O. Williams financial MLM at one time.

Here's the problem with these things: SOMEONE actually has to do some work. My experience has been that people try to sign up others in the hope that somebody in their 'downline' 'group,' or whatever it's called, actually goes out and sells. Also knew a guy in Shaklee that was fairly successful at it, but he worked his ass off, and had a whole room in his house that was a mini Shaklee warehouse.

I just never saw much value in it, as I saw the results once the 'super sales star' in the downline stopped selling.

coop33

Established Member
mysterio, you nailed it. There are positioning strategies the top players use to grow themselves faster. The idea behind positioning is if you want the work done, do it yourself.

Serious question: how do some of these companies thrive if 75% of the people think it's a scam? You can't tell me there is enough money generated from the remaining 25% to stay in business. The numbers are not actual percentages, just rough guesses from feedback. Amway, Mary Kay, Avon, Herbalife, Ignite, ACN are the big ones I can think of.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
It's not a pyramid scheme! I just get 4 people to sell these calling cards, and each one of those people get 4 more people to sell the calling cards, and then each one of those people get 4 more people to sell the calling cards, and then....

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
mysterio, you nailed it. There are positioning strategies the top players use to grow themselves faster. The idea behind positioning is if you want the work done, do it yourself.

Serious question: how do some of these companies thrive if 75% of the people think it's a scam? You can't tell me there is enough money generated from the remaining 25% to stay in business. The numbers are not actual percentages, just rough guesses from feedback. Amway, Mary Kay, Avon, Herbalife, Ignite, ACN are the big ones I can think of.

Because people are dumb. :shrug:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
MBA means nothing? Contrary to your belief, an MBA is a statement without saying a word. Take a poll on how many guys on here went to college and if it means something to their career. Please let me know what the results are. I have no interest in telling you guys what I do, only interest in what you have done. I could give you BBB reports, stock ratings, percentage growth, revenue earnings, blah blah blah of my company but again that's not what this thread is about.

Carry on..

MBA means nothing without experience.

coop33

Established Member
So these business are making tons of money by suckering in the people who maybe believe in how the system works?

It's not easy money by any means but it is money. I've done well, again not threatened by what you think you know. Looking for the guys that have experience in these types of businesses.

Two guys apply for the same position within the same company, both fresh out of college. One has a BA and the other has a MBA. Logic tells me the MBA guy would get a second look before the BA guy, depending on the position. Obviously if it's an entry level position the BA guy would probably get the position if the MBA guy wanted more pay for his knowledge. It is situation based but I do believe a MBA opens doors without experience. Every experience begins new.

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
So these business are making tons of money by suckering in the people who maybe believe in how the system works?

It's not easy money by any means but it is money. I've done well, again not threatened by what you think you know. Looking for the guys that have experience in these types of businesses.

Two guys apply for the same position within the same company, both fresh out of college. One has a BA and the other has a MBA. Logic tells me the MBA guy would get a second look before the BA guy, depending on the position. Obviously if it's an entry level position the BA guy would probably get the position if the MBA guy wanted more pay for his knowledge. It is situation based but I do believe a MBA opens doors without experience. Every experience begins new.

In this day and age the degree may give you an oppurtunity to get a first look, but what it comes down to is real world experience in your field along with your contacts.It really is who you know not what you know in most lines of work.

If you walk in for and interview with an MBA and the other guy walks in with a BA but has outstanding references in the field he gets the Job no question.

MLM ...really dude :bash: you did not go to school to waste your time with that Sh*t. Have some respect for the hard work you seem to have put in.

C'mon Man! (Chirs Berman voice)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I really don't understand all the hate about MLM. There are companies in this world that do well with it, and not just the "higher" ups. I'm familiar with a system that doesn't allow you to ride your downline's back at all. If you do not do the work for yourself, one of the downline sellers will surpass you.

I guess I should hate on those Mary Kay women driving around a brand new pink Cadillac because MLM just doesn't work. Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. Hate on them for working their ass off to earn that Cadillac. Sounds like a darn good idea to me!

ok i'll be the first to ask...what does MLM stand for?

Multi Level Marketing

Haters like to call it a Pyramid scheme, however....a properly structured MLM will not work like that. It's not fraud, it's legit. You work at it, you make money. You don't, you make nothing.

Last edited:

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I've had a couple buddies try to get me into thisMLM stuff

Every single one started off with "This one is different"

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

and until you are involved with a company that's legit using MLM, you will never change your point of view. I've seen this debate from both sides, and can agree with both parties.

Not all MLM's are legit, some are very much fraud. That's where the bad name "pyramid scheme" was born. However, there are a few winners out there. You just have to know which ones.

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
I really don't understand all the hate about MLM. There are companies in this world that do well with it, and not just the "higher" ups. I'm familiar with a system that doesn't allow you to ride your downline's back at all. If you do not do the work for yourself, one of the downline sellers will surpass you.

I guess I should hate on those Mary Kay women driving around a brand new pink Cadillac because MLM just doesn't work. Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. Hate on them for working their ass off to earn that Cadillac. Sounds like a darn good idea to me!

Multi Level Marketing

Haters like to call it a Pyramid scheme, however....a properly structured MLM will not work like that. It's not fraud, it's legit. You work at it, you make money. You don't, you make nothing.

Less than 1/3rd of 1% percent of women who sell mary kay actually have earned the beloved pink caddy.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member

that's usually how it begins. i've dabbled in a couple and made some fairly decent money. agree though, you have to put in a SHIT TON of work to be successful in a MLM setting.
unfortunately, my timing was off to bring home the serious $$$. couple guys pre-me were making (6) figures easy. DAMMIT MAN!!!!

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member

Multi Level Marketing

double post

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

So basically you only want people to tell you how great it is and not how shitty it is? If you get answers from people who have actually tried it, you'll get a whole lot more of the latter.

Sure those companies make money. Problem is a vast majority of it is from people who buy into in "down lines" instead of customers.

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
It's like being a door to door Kirby salesman! They get you in to extract whatever resources you have to offer. I guess it is the same as any other business, owner gets paid, worker gets small percentage. I guess it's the American way.. Some MLM's pawn legit stuff, most are snake oil salesman

Users who are viewing this thread