ebay alternator- 160 AMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Just ordered mine. Will it affect my tune at all going to the 160 amp? Also has anyone had one of these units fail yet?

I doubt it'll change anything much, if at all. If it does I'd bet it would go more to the rich side since your fuel pumps will be getting the right voltage. Never hurts to double check. By no means am
I a tuner.

i installed this 5+ months ago and its still running strong. i run a triple pump fuel system, bunch of gauges and extra jazz. it hasnt skipped a beat and with my areoforces im still seeing 13.5-14 under load.
i would buy another in a heartbeat.

How many miles on it though?

Still debating whether to pick this one up or spend the $400 made by Mechman.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I doubt it'll change anything much, if at all. If it does I'd bet it would go more to the rich side since your fuel pumps will be getting the right voltage. Never hurts to double check. By no means am
I a tuner.

My A/F went from 11.8 to 10.9 by putting this alternator on. I guess the BAP wasn't getting enough juice with the Autozone pos that was on it before. Definitely check the tune to make sure.

cobrakon

Established Member
My A/F went from 11.8 to 10.9 by putting this alternator on. I guess the BAP wasn't getting enough juice with the Autozone pos that was on it before. Definitely check the tune to make sure.

wow, didn't expect that.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So at what volts while in WOT should a person consider replacing the alternator? For instance the lowest I've seen mine hit while doing a pull was 12.9 volts with headlights,foglights, and stereo on.

DocSYOS

DocSYOS
Established Member
I bought one of these and had it on for about a month or so. It worked fine until I got it on the dyno and the motor started to lean out a little just over 6K. Turns out I had 12 volts at that point, as if the alt shut down. I got my old one rebuilt by a local shop, back on the dyno I'm good now. If you do a lot of long hard pulls you might want to keep tabs on the voltage from time to time. Maybe it's the one I bought idk, just thought I'd share my experience with one of these.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought one of these and had it on for about a month or so. It worked fine until I got it on the dyno and the motor started to lean out a little just over 6K. Turns out I had 12 volts at that point, as if the alt shut down. I got my old one rebuilt by a local shop, back on the dyno I'm good now. If you do a lot of long hard pulls you might want to keep tabs on the voltage from time to time. Maybe it's the one I bought idk, just thought I'd share my experience with one of these.

Did you contact them, I believe they have a 1 year warranty.

T800

Established Member
What is it about the Nation's alternator that makes you speak so highly of it? I see its also rather pricey.

The Nation's unit uses a Nippondenso front case and internals. The pieces are about the best you can get...they are the same ones used on our Fire Engines/Aid Cars...I checked.

The back half of the case(if I remember correctly)is a Chrysler part. The reason being, is the Chrysler unit is the only one that you can install a dummy voltage regulator and still mate with the Nippon front half. The Voltage Regulator is adjustable and EXTERNAL...which is the main issue with the factory and/or replacement alternators. The regulator get's so damn hot, they can't operate efficiently.

I can post some pics of mine before the install when I get home tomorrow. On duty right now.

Last edited:
The Nation's unit uses a Nippondenso front case and internals. The pieces are about the best you can get...they are the same ones used on our Fire Engines/Aid Cars...I checked.

The back half of the case(if I remember correctly)is a Chrysler part. The reason being, is the Chrysler unit is the only one that you can install a dummy voltage regulator and still mate with the Nippon front half. The Voltage Regulator is adjustable and EXTERNAL...which is the main issue with the factory and/or replacement alternators. The regulator get's so damn hot, they can't operate efficiently.

I can post some pics of mine before the install when I get home tomorrow. On duty right now.

Good stuff. Thanks for the reply. Yes definitely provide pics if its not too much trouble. I appreciate it. :beer:

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member

So the voltage can be regulated or adjusted manually on Nation's alternator? In for pics as well. Heard many great things about this alternator.

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
So the voltage can be regulated or adjusted manually on Nation's alternator? In for pics as well. Heard many great things about this alternator.

I've heard great stuff about it as well. I'm going to be ordering one soon as well.

ModMike

Modular Maniac
Established Member
Good stuff. Thanks for the reply. Yes definitely provide pics if its not too much trouble. I appreciate it. :beer:

I'm experiencing the same issue here so if this is good solution I would love to see pics too. Could it be part of the issue with our alts going bad so quickly is the relatively close location to the exhaust manifold header causing the internals to heat up and burn out quicker? This may be something addressed in another issue but I'm just curious and will be getting one of these other alts you guys are talking about soon.

T800

Established Member
Sorry for draggin' ass on getting pics up. Voltage is adjusted manually. FYI the alt pictured is for sale, $430 shipped. Brand new, never installed. Brother didn't end up needing and wants cash for go faster stuff...will post in Market ASAP.

This thread has more pics and goes into what exactly needs to be done for fitment(it's simple): http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNGVUoX-tA2pNd_52YShA3yiV5YTOA&cad=rja

Front of case
2012-05-31_19-08-09_476.jpg

Rear
2012-05-31_19-07-53_984.jpg

Overall
2012-05-31_19-07-06_613.jpg

That little white dot is actually a flat head screw for adjusting voltage manually.
2012-05-31_19-06-18_187.jpg

Wiring
2012-05-31_19-05-16_804.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread