ebay alternator- 160 AMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
This thread has me seriously confused as to whether to go with a Start N Charge or this 160 when I need a replacement.

I've heard good things about those alternators as well. These eBay alts are cheaper and seem to get the job done just fine. Don't think you can go wrong with either.

arc00ta

Established Member
I came across these the other day, considering getting one. My alternator is the original unit with ~120k on it.

Can a bad alternator cause the car to basically shut down at higher RPM? I've found that about as soon as my fuel pumps hit 85% duty cycle my lights dim and the motor basically just dies until I let off the gas. I went through all sorts of things trying to fix it until it happened at night and my headlights almost shut off making me wonder about the battery/alternator. The battery doesn't seem to be dying, it just feels like the electrical system can't handle the load of the pumps.

Monster Mach

Established Member
I came across these the other day, considering getting one. My alternator is the original unit with ~120k on it.

Can a bad alternator cause the car to basically shut down at higher RPM? I've found that about as soon as my fuel pumps hit 85% duty cycle my lights dim and the motor basically just dies until I let off the gas. I went through all sorts of things trying to fix it until it happened at night and my headlights almost shut off making me wonder about the battery/alternator. The battery doesn't seem to be dying, it just feels like the electrical system can't handle the load of the pumps.

Could be a cause the alt to overspin not giving any juice to the batt and the batt is draining trying to keep spark andlights going... belt slip on the alt at those rpms is possible also..

And no not all alts are remans lol.. some alts like mechman dc power ect make new alts alltogether from case to brushes

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Wow that's pretty amazing to still be on the original alternator. When yours finally goes you need to take that thing apart and take pics. I want to see what yours was made of.

SVTDice

Established Member
I've heard good things about those alternators as well. These eBay alts are cheaper and seem to get the job done just fine. Don't think you can go wrong with either.

If they get the job done, Last and are price effective I don't see why not to get the Ebay ones. Tbh. :-D

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
Any #s yet?

Installed the 160amp yesterday, according to the data log it was between 13.6-14v when under load (headlights, wipers, radio, and uphill at half throttle). Whenever it dries out here I'll push it a little harder and see what it reads.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
If there is ever a fail proof alt for even a 5 year period, it will be a miracle.

mineral154

whatever
Established Member
any updates on these I am planning on ordering one tonight...do they make a 160amp+ alt

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Put mine in yesterday. I have a 4 lb lower so I am running a 3.2 alternator pulley. Time will tell....

On a side not the back is stamped Ford Motorcraft.

TRBO VNM

I friend just got one. Only been in for about a week, will report back in a month or so

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
Got mine installed saturday. Works great so far. Had it two days after ordering. Very happy at this point.

Vnmous1_04

InFamous Racing
Established Member
I'm buying this alternator as well, they are local and hell why not lol...are these sypmthoms of a bad alternator: when I pull the car out of gear while coming to a stop or even coasting...the car dies or drops rpms lower than idle and then kicks the back up...let me know if anyone has heard or experienced this

NastyNate420

Established Member
Vnmous.....I had that problem in my Mach as well as some others. I brought it to ford and they replaced the TPS and the IAC but that didnt help. It ended up being the Maf screen was missing. The turbulence causes the MAF to misread and my car would died when coasting and hard braking off a freeway. Since I replaced it ive had no problems. I dunno if thats the problem in your cobra but maybe ....

Vnmous1_04

InFamous Racing
Established Member
Vnmous.....I had that problem in my Mach as well as some others. I brought it to ford and they replaced the TPS and the IAC but that didnt help. It ended up being the Maf screen was missing. The turbulence causes the MAF to misread and my car would died when coasting and hard braking off a freeway. Since I replaced it ive had no problems. I dunno if thats the problem in your cobra but maybe ....

I'll start by cleaning the MAF sensor and see what the result is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread