Epa seeks to prohibit conversion of vehicles into racecars

BoostedByV

No Fly By ZONE
Established Member
:??:

https://www.sema.org/news/2016/02/08/epa-seeks-to-prohibit-conversion-of-vehicles-into-racecars

Please sign this

https://www.change.org/p/u-s-house-...ent-the-epa-from-banning-vehicle-modification

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...posal-prohibit-conversion-vehicles-racecars-0

From the latest SEMA Newsletter:

By SEMA Washington, D.C., Staff

EPA Proposed Regulation:

Under the EPA proposed regulation, certified motor vehicles and engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition. Violators would be subject to the fines and penalties included in the tampering prohibitions.

SEMA’s Understanding of Proposal as Confirmed by the EPA:

SEMA representatives met with EPA officials on January 20, 2016 to confirm the association’s understanding of the proposed regulation. The EPA officials confirmed that the regulation would make it illegal to convert a certified motor vehicle into a vehicle to be used solely for competition. The EPA officials claimed that this had always been their interpretation of the Clean Air Act.

Myth: This proposal is not changing current law.

Congress never intended the Clean Air Act to be interpreted as giving the EPA the authority to regulate vehicles used solely for competition, regardless of whether the vehicles were once emissions-certified road vehicles. Once a vehicle is taken out of use as a road vehicle and dedicated solely to racing, it is beyond the laws which apply to road vehicles. The EPA and SEMA fundamentally disagree on this point. SEMA has cited the statutory text, legislative history, and congressional intent of the Clean Air Act, as well as 46 years of history whereby vehicles have been converted from certified road status to status as race vehicles without any objection from EPA.

Myth: The EPA is merely clarifying the law as it relates to motor vehicles and nonroad vehicles, and its proposal only affects vehicles driven on the streets.

The EPA is adding new language to the regulations. This new language states that a motor vehicle can never be modified, even if it is used solely for competition and never again used on public roads. The EPA is seeking to prohibit modifications affecting any emissions-related component, such as engines, engine control modules, intakes, exhaust systems, etc.

Myth: The EPA’s proposal only affects medium- and heavy-duty vehicles.

The EPA inserted the problematic language into a rulemaking that focuses on medium- and heavy-duty vehicles, however, the rulemaking also includes a section entitled “Miscellaneous EPA Amendments.” The language affecting “vehicles used solely for competition” (i.e., racecars) was a “miscellaneous EPA amendment” and would, in fact, affect all light-duty vehicles, not just trucks.

Myth: SEMA is overreacting, this will never get passed.

The EPA has issued a proposed regulation. Regulations are issued by federal agencies and not voted on by elected representatives. If the language becomes final (EPA is expected to issue a final regulation in July), then it will have the force of law and can only be challenged in federal court or overturned by Congress.

Myth: The EPA could not enforce this proposal.

The proposal would give the EPA the power to enforce against any vehicle owner that converts his or her emissions-controlled motor vehicle into a vehicle to be used solely for competition. Whether or not the EPA chooses to enforce, it would be illegal for an individual to convert their motor vehicle. Additionally, the EPA has stated that it will enforce against aftermarket companies that sell parts for use on the converted vehicles, which will limit racers’ access to parts.

Myth: The EPA’s proposal would not affect vehicles that have already been converted into racecars.

It is the EPA’s position that they will be able to enforce against vehicles that have already been converted in the past. While the EPA has indicated that it does not currently plan on enforcing against individuals, it does plan on going after the companies supplying parts for vehicles that have already been converted. So, if you have a racecar that began life as a street car, this regulation would affect your access to parts, and leave you open to enforcement if the agency so chooses.

Fact: The EPA’s proposal would not affect racecars with original emissions controls.

The EPA notes that race vehicles with original, unmodified emission controls, including the original engine configuration, engine control module, intake and exhaust components, do not violate the law. The issue is that very few competition race vehicles have been left unmodified and in a certified configuration.

Fact: The EPA’s proposal would not affect purpose-built racecars, such as sprint cars, open-wheel dragsters and the cars that currently compete in NASCAR.

The EPA agrees that vehicles that were originally manufactured for racing are excluded from regulation under the Clean Air Act. However, the EPA believes this exclusion extends only to vehicles that were never certified for on-road use or issued a VIN.

Fact: The EPA’s proposal will not affect the exemption for “nonroad vehicles,” such as dirt bikes, ATVs, snowmobiles and boats used solely for competition.

The EPA has indicated that it will continue to allow “nonroad vehicles” (dirt bikes, ATVs, snowmobiles, boats) to be exempted from certain emissions regulations if they are used solely for competition. Distinct from its stance on motor vehicles, however, the EPA’s current position on nonroad vehicles allows emissions-certified nonroad vehicles to be converted into vehicles used solely for competition.

Get the Facts for Yourself:

Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles--Phase 2, 80 Fed. Reg. 40,138 (July 13, 2015), docket no. EPA–HQ–OAR–2014–0827:

Please use the search function to locate this provision within the proposed regulation:
PART 86--CONTROL OF EMISSIONS FROM NEW AND IN-USE HIGHWAY VEHICLES AND ENGINES
Subpart S--General Compliance Provisions for Control of Air Pollution From New and In-Use Light-Duty Vehicles, Light-Duty Trucks, and Heavy-Duty Vehicles
67. Section 86.1854-12 is amended by adding paragraph (b)(5) to read as follows:

§ 86.1854-12 Prohibited acts.

(b) * * *
(5) Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become nonroad vehicles or engines; anyone modifying a certified motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine for any reason is subject to the tampering and defeat device prohibitions of paragraph (a)(3) of this section and 42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3).

To review SEMA’s comments to the EPA proposal, go to: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=EPA-HQ-OAR-2014-0827-146

Last edited:

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Looking to also close the "race use only" loophole?

"The regulation would also make the sale of certain products for use on such vehicles illegal."

08mojo

Established Member
Thank all the flat brims rolling coal in their deezels.

trumpfaces.gif

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Hey, let's screw up a niche market with hundreds of companies making parts, thousands installing them, and hundreds hosting events for them to fix the literal drop in the bucket that is aftermarket modification.

Has the government ever had a good idea?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
SEMA is just as bad as the NRA with their alarmist reports. Every year they put out a cockamamie report of how the government is trying to take away our "rights and liberties" as car enthusiasts. All it does is drum up false outrage and more financial support from the foil hats.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
SEMA is just as bad as the NRA with their alarmist reports. Every year they put out a cockamamie report of how the government is trying to take away our "rights and liberties" as car enthusiasts. All it does is drum up false outrage and more financial support from the foil hats.

You may want to believe that but the realism of it is they do a pretty good job.
The regulation going up for vote can be found here.
All 600+ pages of it,
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-07-13/pdf/2015-15500.pdf

If not for SEMA reading this whole thing then who would? You?

And here is the part they have issue with,

“Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become nonroad vehicles or engines”. 80 Fed. Reg. 40138, 40565 (July 13, 2015). “

So basically if this passes you cannot turn off your O2s or delete your cats or bypass and remove the EVAP system on a full blown racecar.

And it appears they are hiding it in a reg that was actually written for Medium to heavy duty trucks. lol

LS2GTO

Established Member
**** the EPA. We need to completely abolish the EPA.

I'm all for modding our cars and shit, but let's not go quite that far. Do you really want to live and breathe the air like in Mexico City or Beijing? I know I don't.

But back to the topic at hand. I don't think this will affect the racecar industry that much...what's the difference if your purchase a street car then turn it into a straight racecar vs. buying a premade racecar like those kits you can buy online?

Now the enthusiasts will definitely be affected as we won't be able to mod our cars that much. But it all depends on what rules they put around catching the violations. I mean it's illegal today to remove the cats and all the other emissions stuff...but that's not stopping people from doing that because the inspection rules are so lax. If they change those to be like in California then we're screwed.

Last edited:

Regulars520

Established Member
**** the EPA. We need to completely abolish the EPA.

Um no. Trust me when I say this No and hell no.
We dont need to abolish them we just need to sway some of these regulations.

P.S I work in the lead industry, if we did not have the EPA in place you would have a life expectancy of about 40 years old also your nice shiny car would have a paint job that lasts about two months due to acid rain from sodium dioxide that my industry and others would love to just release in the air instead of spending billions on keeping out of the air.

You got a problem with my foil hat mofo????

Last edited:

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
It's the same principle as modifying your AR-15 into fully auto. Niche market that they think has way more environmental impact than what it actually does. Increased legislation because they have nothing better to do.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I'm all for modding our cars and shit, but let's not go quite that far. Do you really want to live and breathe the air like in Mexico City or Beijing? I know I don't.

But back to the topic at hand. I don't think this will affect the racecar industry that much...what's the difference if your purchase a street car then turn it into a straight racecar vs. buying a premade racecar like those kits you can buy online?

Now the enthusiasts will definitely be affected as we won't be able to mod our cars that much. But it all depends on what rules they put around catching the violations. I mean it's illegal today to remove the cats and all the other emissions stuff...but that's not stopping people from doing that because the inspection rules are so lax. If they change those to be like in California then we're screwed.

Because once it is illegal to remove cats on full blown race cars they will stop companies from making off road X and H pipes.
As far as your buying a pre-made race car,
From the first page,

EPA is
also proposing technical amendments to
EPA rules that apply to emissions of
non-GHG pollutants from light-duty
motor vehicles, marine diesel engines,
and other nonroad engines and
equipment. Finally, EPA is proposing to
require that rebuilt engines installed in
new incomplete vehicles meet the
emission standards applicable in the
year of assembly, including all
applicable standards for criteria
pollutants

And when they say rebuilt they mean any crate engine that did not come factory in a car.

The first part of that quote scares me as they snuck this into a regulation originally written for trucks.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Um no. Trust me when I say this No and hell no.
We dont need to abolish them we just need to sway some of these regulations.

P.S I work in the lead industry, if we did not have the EPA in place you would have a life expectancy of about 40 years old also your nice shiny car would have a paint job that lasts about two months due to acid rain from sodium dioxide that my industry and others would love to just release in the air instead of spending billions on keeping out of the air.

Agreed,
Being in the petro-chemical industry, don't think for 1 minute that big companies wouldn't put all kinds of shit in the air/water if they could and it saved them $$$.
The EPA is needed but they like all other gov. entities need some monitoring.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Because once it is illegal to remove cats on full blown race cars they will stop companies from making off road X and H pipes.

Well that won't stop Joe Schmoe from busting out his sawzall and welding cart and making his own offroad pipe...unless they start banning sawzalls and welding apparatuses.

If all they are doing is making laws but not enforcing them then there's no different to what's there today eg. someone says X is illegal but noone actually bothers to check so people still do it. Now if they change the inspection rules then that's what we have to worry about.

What's the difference between today having no rules and no inspections on racecars vs having strict rules but again no inspections to verify those rules are being followed? An inconvenience sure but nothing more than what hotrodders have to go through today in getting their modded street cars to pass inpection.

I've been driving around with a cammed catless loud exhaust for 7 years, and the only thing that I have to do differently is slap on a tune before inspection so that it passes. As long as the same lax inspection rules persist this will merely be an incovenience. So let's pray long and hard they don't make all 50 states do the shit that California does.

Last edited:

Regulars520

Established Member
Its kinda funny all of this and the hype and over reacting. It is and has been illegal for years and years to remove/modify cats. If you read the actual epa law on what cats we can actually use by law you would poop yourself. High flow cats are NOT legal, however they sell them, I have no cats on my 99 cobra nor do I have them on my shelby, both my cars passed inspection and are legally registered. Why? Because the EPA has much better things to do then chase around a handfull of Americans that want to modify their cars. Why would they sink hundreds of thousands of dollars into chasing around a $10,000 fine (that will get dropped or reduced severely) when they can sit outside of factories and ding large companies with $100,000 fines everyday? When we have an "NOV" (notice of violation) from the EPA its an instant $100,000 fine and it only took one guy from the epa to make that. People get your panties out of the ruffle

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Enforcement isn't the point IMO.

Example,
I could see if this passes that all crate motors will now come with a complete EVAP system. Raising the cost tremendously and your factory 5 Cobra now has cats and emissions controls to deal with and find a place for, etc....

Just because enforcement is difficult we should just let them pass it?
If you take that approach to everything the Gov wants we will be up shit creek further than we already are.

Regulars520

Established Member
Enforcement isn't the point IMO.

Example,
I could see if this passes that all crate motors will now come with a complete EVAP system. Raising the cost tremendously and your factory 5 Cobra now has cats and emissions controls to deal with and find a place for, etc....

Just because enforcement is difficult we should just let them pass it?
If you take that approach to everything the Gov wants we will be up shit creek further than we already are.

No. Not what I was aiming at. I was mainly pointing out that this type of legislation has come up a million times over the years. Ford, Dodge and others have also been trying to make tuning your car illegal for years. It gains steam for about a heartbeat then the backlash from industry beats it down. I just think people are over reacting as if this is the first time this issue has been tried in legislation.

Users who are viewing this thread