Epa seeks to prohibit conversion of vehicles into racecars

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
How does tuning create more emissions? I thought it just does not pass on a aftermarket tune because the scan tool will show a code, so you go back to stock.

A tune usually optimizes the engine to run even better and people pick up MPGs.

The only damaging thing I think of is not running cats. Run cats, like I say in my previous post.

There is a bit that goes into it that I don't understand fully, but the basic premise (from what I understand) lies in the timing. Aftermarket tuning moves timing further away from when the exhaust valve opens, which reduces the temperature of the exhaust gas enough by the time it reaches the cats to make a difference in emissions. Retarded timing can actually burn more of the fuel, and late enough in the cycle that the gases are still at a high enough temperature to increase the effectiveness of the cats. The fuel is just burned late enough in the cycle it just doesn't help much hp wise.

So if you change the timing, you technically need to have the car approved for emissions.

jbs$

Established Member
I add, can you imagine just how many more high skilled people the bull crap would put out of work? The cuts would be wide and deep, from major manufacturing to to corner shop.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
And then someone does a netflix special on said company putting all kinds of shit in the water, then nobody buys products that are produced by them anymore until they clean up their shit.

Not that simple. If there was no EPA EVERY company would do it.
Until people scream and then the Gov creates some department and enforce some type of regulation........

Not to mention that the way patent laws work there are some products that are only made by the patent holder for the 1st 10 years.

I'm in the industry and believe the EPA is needed. However, sometimes like this they bark up the wrong tree.

oldmodman

Established Member
Just a few years ago the AQMD tried to get ALL ENGINES included in their rules.

But luckily someone (paid lobbyist) got a tiny little addendum put in. A cubic inch limit so that all engines below it were exempt. Forever.

Can you imagine trying to put cats, air pumps, and evap shit on a model airplane engine?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't think this will ever happen.

If anything, it will just challenge companies to come up with clever wording for their products to pass the regulations.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
EPA needs to go and the Federal Reserve, both are oppressive in certain ways to a certain degree. Its already tough enough in NJ trying to be a automotive hobbyist putting performance parts that are emissions friendly. We dont need this at all. All I see is lets take more freedoms away. We caught VW/Audi cheating lets see what more we can do stirring the pot. :rollseyes

Branhammer

Established Member
Dear EPA, if you get this to pass, I will break the laws every chance I get. I will buy a diesel truck I don't even need (which I normally can't stand, but I'll do it in this case) and I'll remove the cats and tune it to pollute as much as possible. What do you think about that, EPA? You faggits. Suck my taint.

Signed,
Former law-abiding citizen

SirShaun

Established Member
We can tell our kids about the good old days, I guess.

long-ago-in-the-magical-land-of-murica_o_2827129.jpg

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I am not a green nut by any means but what I really want to see is the car community stop removing their catalytic converters. They provide pretty much all the emissions for gasoline cars. We continuously see 200-500hp, stock cars even, removing these thinking it does something, when in reality they are only picking up a few hp. Unless you're running a ton of boost or whatever setup that could melt a cat, you don't need to remove it. It comes down to money too, since aftermarket exhaust with cats are always more money.

Except that we know people that hollow out cats and pass emissions. So please tell us how cats magically make it all better.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Except that we know people that hollow out cats and pass emissions. So please tell us how cats magically make it all better.

but cats do magically make things better. There is no denying that. I would like to see the emissions testing results from a car with no cats.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
Anybody notice the drive cycle that is used to get the monitors set on the ecu?Who the **** drives like that.Maybe the EPA will take away the WOT option on cars.

Edited by #694

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
but cats do magically make things better. There is no denying that. I would like to see the emissions testing results from a car with no cats.

Youd be surprised, though it depends on the car. My 03 couldnt pass at all with high flow cats, put a stock midpipe on from an 02 GT and it blew roses.

Ive seen DSM's pass with full 3" turboback with no cats at all with a little ecm tuning, and ive seen them fail with cats working.

Anybody notice the drive cycle that is used to get the monitors set on the ecu?Who the f### drives like that.Maybe the EPA will take away the WOT option on cars.

Depends on the car.

We bought an 06 Tiburon from the dealer and they couldnt smog it, so I kept driving it and coming back every other week and still couldnt get the catalytic monitor to run.

Found a cheat sheet online on what driving the ecu needs to see to run the test. Its stupid simple, was like "go from 0 to 55mph in 15 seconds, then steady 50-55mph for 5 minutes, then go from 55mph to 0mph in another 15 seconds and that will run the monitor test". After 3mo of not being able to smog it, did that one day and the next day it passed.

Other cars you have to romp on them to get them to run the monitors, and others just need consistent driving for 200mi.

Gravik

Established Member
I'm all for modding our cars and shit, but let's not go quite that far. Do you really want to live and breathe the air like in Mexico City or Beijing? I know I don't.

But back to the topic at hand. I don't think this will affect the racecar industry that much...what's the difference if your purchase a street car then turn it into a straight racecar vs. buying a premade racecar like those kits you can buy online?

Now the enthusiasts will definitely be affected as we won't be able to mod our cars that much. But it all depends on what rules they put around catching the violations. I mean it's illegal today to remove the cats and all the other emissions stuff...but that's not stopping people from doing that because the inspection rules are so lax. If they change those to be like in California then we're screwed.

Here's the EPA for you.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/09/us/colorado-epa-mine-river-spill/

the-epa-spilled-1-million-gallons-of-waste-water-into-a-colorado-river--turning-it-orange.jpg

Wow. God help us if we get another idiot in office and this trend continues.

Everything the EPA has tried to implement and advance has come courtesy of these 'global warming' fanatics.

And BOTH parties in America have a SIGNIFICANT share of these obnoxious types.

2001sleeper

Established Member
When people say that they can pass without cats I must ask if it is a tailpipe sniffer test?
Selective Catalytic Reduction is a proven science and does reduce NO/NO2/SO2 effectively. Primary catalyst used is industrial boilers.

I don't think cats would damage the aftermarket so much, but all the other emissions stuff would hurt the aftermarket quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread