Finally some Ford GT numbers

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Is H981 a marketing car? I believe I saw that car in Utah during the press events at the track. That car looks so sinister with the color scheme. It looked significantly lower than any of the other cars.

Yeah. Ride height same on all. 120 mm standard height 70 mm in Track mode.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
p.s, if anyone knows anyone in the market, I would consider straight up trade of the above GT for an entire Chevrolet dealership, as long as it comes with 96 Camaros.

By my calculations you'd be coming out about $180k ahead haha

Coiled03

Established Member
Like I said. Money>rules

I guess you missed the part where every other manufacturer had to sign off on it. So, regardless of what they did or didn't pay to the FIA for the exception - likely zero - they still needed approval from their direct competitors. Are you suggesting they paid off all of them, too?

mrlrd1

Established Member
Right. It's a travesty the GT raced early. It's a good thing I can walk into a dealership and buy a Corvette, any Corvette, with anything remotely resembling the engine in the C7R.

Oh wait...

The C7R is just an evolution of the C5R which, like Ford, paid to have rules changed in their favor.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
The C7R is just an evolution of the C5R which, like Ford, paid to have rules changed in their favor.

Clarify.

Which scenario is preferable:

A) A car races with a powertrain unavailable in any of its road car variants, but does so at the same road cars without that powertrain are being built.

B) A car that requires no waivers or changes races before the commencement of production.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Clarify.

A) A car races with a powertrain unavailable in any of its road car variants, but does so at the same road cars without that powertrain are being built.

B) A car that requires no waivers or changes races before the commencement of production.

dont hurt your head on that brick wall

mrlrd1

Established Member
Clarify.

Bullshit.

The "production" GT engine is NOT the same as what's found in the GTE car.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bullshit.

the production GT is actually faster than the GTE car.... I believe it has a little over 100 more horsepower.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Bullshit.

Yeah, but you're arguing minutiae over shit like gaskets and injection vs. the fact the powertrain in the Vette isn't even close to the road car.

Ultimately the point here is that you're just being a hypocritical whiner. Saying the GT is not legal for the class if laughable bullshit, and if you believe that bullshit when you say that, that means logically you have to believe the rest of the class is "illegal" for the class as well. The GT road car is by far the most similar car to it's race car variant in the GTE/LM racing.

Cracks me up when people complain about this stuff. The RSR engine is literally in a completely different place to the road car, and despite the fact Porsche goes through incredible linguistic gymnastics to claim it's a rear engine car, just rear with the engine in front of the axle in the middle, but still rear, you know what I think about that? ****ING AWESOME. It's always dudes with Jake tramp stamps that cry about this stuff...

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Given that the GT was a no waiver car, was Ford aware of and did they anticipate the effects of BoP on performance?I guess in simpler terms, was any of this a surprise to them?

Everyone complains about restrictions. Whether it's one of the C#R's, AM, Ferrari, or GT, they've all had their dose of it. I'm a Viper guy at heart, and back in the early 2000's, the amount of BoP they saddled the car with, in all honestly, dwarfs what cars get these days. The field was also MUCH thinner than it is today and much less exciting. I suppose the amount of $ required to race at this level, manufacturer's want assurances that their cars will be competitive.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I have no overriding race-to-race bitch on the BoP beyond it often makes the racing poor. You can't effectively equalize for both acceleration and top speed between disparate platforms at different circuits. A car like the GT ends up running hilariously low HP depending on the race, (375 hp in Mexico City) qualifies well because of it's ability to use momentum through the corners, but then gets totally ****ed in the race when there is actual traffic because it crawls at a snails pace when the driver puts his foot to the floor. IMSA does a much better job than the WEC. WEC two years ago was a joke. Cars would alternate between utterly dominant and totally uncompetitive.

More philosophically, I would complain that BoP is applied unevenly purely to keep cars in the series. Yes, no manufacturer will show up to get their ****ing heads beat in with uncompetitive cars week after week. But the Vantage whooped ass in several races last year. When a car that painfully old can dominate wire-to-wire in races, there is zero incentive to build or bring cool new shit to the races. Which is why that car was basically the same for over a decade.

If it were up to me, they would make GTE-Pro a cost unlimited non-hybrid, road-car based class and you could race bonkers uncorked homologation specials. Would still cost a fraction of LMP1 and consumers would recognize the product in the field.

Otherwise, it's just annoying to read comments from people like mrslrlsds1 who just don't understand what they're looking at.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
If it were up to me, they would make GTE-Pro a cost unlimited non-hybrid, road-car based class and you could race bonkers uncorked homologation specials. Would still cost a fraction of LMP1 and consumers would recognize the product in the field.

The old GTS/GT1 class was very similar to what you are describing, and the competition was terrible for a lot of years. I recall watching many races where only one maker even entered a car. You had one (maybe two on occasion) team that built a ringer car that won all the races, and drove everyone off. It almost killed GT type racing.

That's a tough nut to crack.

Users who are viewing this thread