Five days smoke free... And counting.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
12+ years pack-a-day smoker here. I had my last cigarette on Monday, slapped a patch on immediately after and have been having an okay week. A couple hiccups here & there, such as a migraine and some restlessness but overall it hasn't been too bad.

I was out at the bar last night getting a load on and I actually felt sick to my stomach when my friends would come inside from having a smoke. Man they f'n stink!! I didn't realize that was me all those years.

Are there any other recent quitters around? How's your experience been so far?

MG0h3

Established Member
2 days no chewing tobacco. I've quit a bunch of times before for up to a year. I just chew some nicorette but I think it's the action of chewing rather than then the drug that is hard to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Zemedici

Established Member
5 year pack a day here

Make it 2 weeks and you’ve done it. Count the days if you want. I found sunflower seeds and gum helped immensely.

And the smell will almost make you puke huh?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
12+ years pack-a-day smoker here. I had my last cigarette on Monday, slapped a patch on immediately after and have been having an okay week. A couple hiccups here & there, such as a migraine and some restlessness but overall it hasn't been too bad.

I was out at the bar last night getting a load on and I actually felt sick to my stomach when my friends would come inside from having a smoke. Man they f'n stink!! I didn't realize that was me all those years.

I tried to quit for 15 years. It wasn't until I went to work somewhere we couldn't smoke. I decided I wasn't going to stand outside in the heat, cold, and rain to smoke, so I quit two weeks before I started work there. I grew up in a house with a four pack a day smoker (killed dad eventually) so I never did mind smoke from others until I had been totally off the cigs for ten years. That's when I realized how bad they smelled. Even someone ahead of me at the traffic light I could smell it.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member

Good for you. I quit dipping cold turkey after twenty years. I decided I didn't want my teeth to get yellow and nasty and just stopped. It really wasn't that bad after the first week or so. As MG0h3 said, I think the harder mental part is just the habit of doing it. Replace the action with something else and stay strong

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I just don't understand how people afford them anymore. When I quit in 1989 they were $1.25 a pack, for the "good" ones.

olympic

Established Member
Congratulations, keep it up! :) I quit 6 years ago. The patch will cause some small issues but I found it to be the best out of all the nicotine replacements I tried. I think I did 2 weeks with Stage 1 patches and then a week each with 2 and 3 but do whatever you feel comfortable with. Avoid situations where you may be tempted and carry some gum for when cravings arise. Quitting is an act of sheer will power. You just have to keep telling yourself that you will not start again. Not one cigarette, not one puff. You will not give up all of your progress and have to go through it all again. Good luck!

olympic

Established Member
Very cool!

Calculate how much money you'll save/invest (not to mention better health & time): https://www.calculators.org/health/quit-smoking.php

Yep, I paid for a big portion of my Cobra with money saved from quitting smoking! Take a $20 bill and put it in a shoe box every other day as a visual reminder of your progress. Then after 1-2 years treat yourself to something nice!

josephcostello

Established Member
My dad would always chew liquorish when he stopped and got the urge, then when one flavor got old he'd do the other flavor. Did that until he didn't have the urge anymore

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats. OP. Cigarettes are one of the most addictive habits on the planet.

I have a TON of respect for those of you who have the will power and determination to quit.

My old man couldn't kick it (or didnt want to?) and it ultimately cost him his life at the young age of 63.

Stay strong!

nxhappy

Established Member
switch out the backy with some green .... if you get an urge of course

PonyGlued

350R wannabe
Established Member
I quit by smoking a pipe and getting away from the expensive Virginia’s and lol bought a tobacco with a skull and bones as it’s label it was floor sweeping s from the production, started smoking at 14years

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I quit by smoking pipe and getting away from the expensive Virginia’s and lol bought a tobacco with a skull and bones as it’s label it was floor sweeping s from the production, started smoking at 14years....

This post is full of LOL!!!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Keep going! My dad didn't quit until they told him he had 6 months to live. He lasted a lot longer than that, but he was down to 18% lung function and on oxy.

Coosawjack

Established Member
Hang in there......I quit a 2+ Pack a day habit waaaaay back in 1977......40 years ago last week!!:eek:

I'm still kickin' and TRULY believe quitting is why!!;)

VegasMichael

Established Member
Congrats. My dad smoked for 25 years and then quit. I'm thinking of walking away from the booze. I'm a daily drinker though. Not easy. Someone should start a thread for people trying to quit something.

Users who are viewing this thread