For the Shelby GT500 Experts.

91svtbird

Established Member
Not starting any arguments, you hear more than I ever will, but 6,000 dollars for a differential and shocks, and a set of forged wheels sounds terribly high.

Sounds like I'll be base + recaros.

That's only a $2000 increase over the current $4000 SVT PP ....about right I'd say.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Lot of this stuff is cheap for them to do or was factored into R&D costs which dont get passed down to the consumer completely otherwise consumers would not pay. That being said not really going to say much more because this topic was already beaten like a dead horse in other threads.
tax write off i'm sure:lol:

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Actually I disagree rural dealers will Jack then up too. I worked for one and they did too. 07 Shelby gt500s went for upwards of $10k over sticker. Bosses were going for $5-10k over and still are in some dealers. You're best bet is find a dealer you know somebody or get one to sell you one at sticker but everybody saying call a rural dealer and they will get you sticker nope it ain't gonna be that easy sorry

Sent from my HTC Rezound via Tapatalk

Then I will be waiting a year or two if I can't find a dealer to play ball or I'll go in a different direction. I'd never pay sticker for any car no matter what.

I bought my 335iS the week it was released and paid $600 over invoice and BMW gave me the dct free so I'll just keep this car a little longer or test drive a vette. No worries.

svtsupersnake

Banned
R and D costs just like every other cost in creating engineering producing and marketing are all spread into every unit they plan to sell. Every single cent it takes to go from idea to testing to finished product has to be accounted for and signed off on in the business plan by the bean counters and executives! It is a lot more complicated than I just explained as well!

Bottom line is that all manufacturing costs are divided into every unit sold. As usual svtsupersnake is completely wrong!

Like I said before I am not going to argue this. For what they did cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. If the cost was being passed the shelby should then be sold at least at 80k. But probably they have some tax incentives where they save or maybe they get more profit from something that cost less to make like their trucks. I dont know. But usually with any business when they take on massive projects. They do not break even AFTER YEAR ONE. They will increase the price a little bit and slowly over the years will eventually break even. If ford thought they would spend all this money to break even after the first year, well then they would be out of business. Consumer means everything, especially in a crap economy. Whats the point of spending all this money on a super car if the consumer can not pay for it? Obviously Ford thought they could do it while keeping cost to the consumer at the absolute minimal. They need thousands of these cars to sell like they do every year, not a couple hundred to crazy rich people. Food for thought.

svtsupersnake

Banned
Then I will be waiting a year or two if I can't find a dealer to play ball or I'll go in a different direction. I'd never pay sticker for any car no matter what.

I bought my 335iS the week it was released and paid $600 over invoice and BMW gave me the dct free so I'll just keep this car a little longer or test drive a vette. No worries.

The dealer I am buying from thats doing it for 2k above invoice is good. Its in Maryland and they are pretty desperate. I think because the shelby's they had on the lot just sat there all year.

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
That's only a $2000 increase over the current $4000 SVT PP ....about right I'd say.

The 4000 is already a 500 increase over what the SVTPP sold for in 2011. At 6000 I'd say they're charging $2500 for some adjustable bilsteins, which seems pretty outlandish considering Chevy doesn't charge that much for their more sophisticated MR suspension.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Like I said before I am not going to argue this. For what they did cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. If the cost was being passed the shelby should then be sold at least at 80k.

Wow your still here? Lets take a look at just two of your statements, the rest of the quote I will not deal with because its all gibberish anyway.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars(100k-999k): 1 mill to make easy, cost of R and D.
80k - 60k ~ 20k per vehicle just for R and D.
These two should match according to your statement. 5,000 units sold x 20,000 R and D costs ~ $100,000,000
We then multiply that answer by the 2 year run the gt500 will have. This equals $200 million dollars! $200 mill is a lot more than $1 mill. Whats wrong your numbers dont match?

Bottom line RD is a ton of money for every manufacturer however it is only a small percentage of the actual per unit cost for the manufacturer. And yes R and D costs are covered in the price for every vehicle sold to the dealer.

The 4000 is already a 500 increase over what the SVTPP sold for in 2011. At 6000 I'd say they're charging $2500 for some adjustable bilsteins, which seems pretty outlandish considering Chevy doesn't charge that much for their more sophisticated MR suspension.

Lets break this down, what does the gm mr suspension upgrade include and its costs? What does the Fords svt pack suspension include and costs? Remember a good set of lightweight wheels and performance tires can run over 3k bucks! Are Fords wheels/tires this good? If they are close I would say thats the reason it cost so much not the bilsteins/tuning.

91svtbird

Established Member

It's still about $2000 over the 2012 SVTPP. The PP also includes the Torsen rear diff so that also contributes to the added cost. I hope it comes in less than that but that's what I heard it will be roughly.....nothing written in stone. We'll find out soon enough one way or the other.

I hope the Track pack isn't too expensive either I would love to be able to add that to my option list as well without it breaking the bank.

BTW personally I don't care what Chevy does because I would never buy one so the comparison has no bearing to me.

Last edited:

Cobra Jay

Got Boost?
Established Member
i thought ford was building as many as they could sell? If thats the case why would anyone pay over sticker...?

All about supply and demand. Dealer is the one who decides on markup

A friend of mine works at a Ford dealership in the Midwest. Im sure I can get one brand new for a more then fair deal.

Your buddy wont make a bit of commission then. I couldn't get a "fair deal" on a Raptor, and I work for Ford :nonono:

NAIAS Ford App said "price TBD expect to be between 48k-53k"

I bet the base price for a coupe is at least $55K

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
IIRC, it was DBK that mentioned a few years back that the GT500 has by far the largest profit margin of any vehicle ford produces(including pickups), so keep in mind that major upgrades like we'll see for the '13 won't necessarily affect the price as much as it would a "regular" production car. the GT500 has a LOT more room to absorb the R&D and parts cost. and keep in mind that this was back in '09 i believe when the MSRP was still low to mid $40s.
anyone who knows this info, correct me if i'm wrong here.

i know this goes against svtsupersnake's 'black & white' ideological world view, but this is the real world after all.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
IIRC, it was DBK that mentioned a few years back that the GT500 has by far the largest profit margin of any vehicle ford produces(including pickups), so keep in mind that major upgrades like we'll see for the '13 won't necessarily affect the price as much as it would a "regular" production car. the GT500 has a LOT more room to absorb the R&D and parts cost. and keep in mind that this was back in '09 i believe when the MSRP was still low to mid $40s.

i know this goes against svtsupersnake's 'black & white' ideological world view, but this is the real world after all.

i thoroughly enjoy the thrashing you give this kid...lol

i honestly can not wait to get my 2013...ugh the suspense is killing me!!!

Cobra Jay

Got Boost?
Established Member
That's exactly what I heard.

Think about why they have to raise the prices.

1) New TVS blower,
2)Totally upgraded new 5.8 L engine + internals
3) Carbon fiber drive shaft
4)larger Heat ex-changer and inter-cooler
5)many more upgrades all around including larger brakes and 6 piston front Brembo calipers

I was laughing because I think your estimate on the base price is low :beer:

luke1333

Banned
Established Member

Yeah that's a BMW not a brand new 200 mph gt500 super car big difference.

Sent from my HTC Rezound via Tapatalk

svtsupersnake

Banned

Ok what you just said is the same as what I was saying. You just said it in a different way. Basically the point I was making is that ford will not put money to produce a car unless it can minimize cost to the consumer so they do not lose the consumer. If its because major upgrades do not effect the price when compared to regular production cars because it has a large profit margin then so be it. As I said before I do not know how Ford saves or spends their money. All I know is that to have a successful business model they have to do it in a way to keep profit margins up. And that is not done by adding 10k to the price of this car.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i thoroughly enjoy the thrashing you give this kid...lol

i honestly can not wait to get my 2013...ugh the suspense is killing me!!!
it's just so easy, LOL

Ok what you just said is the same as what I was saying. You just said it in a different way.
you've seriously gotta be ****ing kidding me right now:bored:

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
Lets break this down, what does the gm mr suspension upgrade include and its costs? What does the Fords svt pack suspension include and costs? Remember a good set of lightweight wheels and performance tires can run over 3k bucks! Are Fords wheels/tires this good? If they are close I would say thats the reason it cost so much not the bilsteins/tuning.

On a base Vette the MR is 1995 and includes just the suspension. On a ZO6 it's 2495 and also includes light weight wheels and Michelin PS2s.

Six grand for the performance pack is just insane. That'd be 500 bucks Extra (over the regular limited slip) for the Torsen, 3000 bucks for wheels and tires (PLUS credit for the base 19"), and 2500 extra for the bilsteins/suspension.

That is a massive ripoff, any way you slice it. At 4 grand I think the 12 SVTPP is a pretty questionable value, if it's another 2 grand just for a Torsen and some electronic shocks, it's no longer questionable value, it's just a bad value IMO.

6 grand for both PP and TP together maybe, but if Ford charges 6 just for the PP I think they deserve to get pilloried by the media and the consumer.

Last edited:

svtsupersnake

Banned
On a base Vette the MR is 1995 and includes just the suspension. On a ZO6 it's 2495 and also includes light weight wheels and Michelin PS2s.

Six grand for the performance pack is just insane. That'd be 500 bucks Extra (over the regular limited slip) for the Torsen, 3000 bucks for wheels and tires (PLUS credit for the base 19"), and 2500 extra for the bilsteins/suspension.

That is a massive ripoff, any way you slice it. At 4 grand I think the 12 SVTPP is a pretty questionable value, if it's another 2 grand just for a Torsen and some electronic shocks, it's no longer questionable value, it's just a bad value IMO.

6 grand for both PP and TP together maybe, but if Ford charges 6 just for the PP I think they deserve to get pilloried by the media and the consumer.

Totally agree with all this. If Ford charges 6k for this kind of stuff on the PP they are out of their minds and flat out dumb. Especially when if you bought the PP on 12's separately it does not add up nearly to 4k like they charge.

Users who are viewing this thread