For those who have tinted windows, do you highly recommend ceramic over regular tint?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So I'm going to have the windows in my G70 tinted. I'm visiting the dealer this afternoon to set up an appointment and ask a few questions. One major question is whether the ceramic window tint is really worth the extra cost. I don't drive a lot in hot weather, so interior heat really isn't an issue for me. However, I'm reading that ceramic is supposed to provide some other benefits, so I'm leaning towards ceramic but wanted to hear from those who have ceramic tint or regular tint to help me make my final decision.

I'm reading that Ceramic Tint has the following....
Pros:
  1. Blocks harmful rays of the sun.
  2. It does not add thermal stress to windows.
  3. Is non-metallic offering no interference to electronic signals.
  4. Enhances privacy.
  5. Durable
  6. Doesn't have the glossy look from the outside that regular tint usually has.
In CT, I'm limited to the darkness of the tint and plan to do the sides and rear windows. The front usually cannot be tinted in CT (except for about a 3" strip at the top) but the owner of the tint shop said a light ceramic shade could be added to the windshield without attracting "attention".

Thanks for you input guys!

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
It's my understanding that ceramic is only worth it if you do all the windows, which sounds like you'll be doing. Since you barely drive it, I would save your money and do non-ceramic.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Hands down without a doubt go ceramic. It makes a huge difference here but I’m in Ca where it gets pretty hot regularly. My wife’s car has ceramic and my truck has regular tint. It’s a big difference on the temperature inside the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
It's worth it to me, in South Florida.

I do 80% up front. Impossible to tell IMO that's tinted from the outside but helps with heat. Think it was Ceramic Air or some type of bs name.
No issues driving at night with no street lights.

LS WUT

Established Member
Id always do ceramic when it’s available or offered. My brother did his C7 corvette with ceramic. It’s extremely nice in Florida.

I’m all for tint, I do 5% all around, and I do 70% on the windshield.

mariusvt

Established Member
I have ceramic on the fronts of my daily driver, years ago I did non ceramic on the mustang and it definitely doesn't have the same heat rejection. Ceramic all the way.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I just make my windows super dark so you don't have to play these guessing games

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
25% all around and 50% on my windshield. This is on my Lightning. You can noticeably tell the difference inside heat wise compared to my wifes Suburban. You can actually see at night since for some reason its also lighter from the inside out.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Hi,

I HIGHLY recommend getting the best quality tint you can and doing all the windows including the windshield.

The UV/IR blocking is substantial and noticable here in Arizona.

Before, even with AC you can feel the sun tanning your hide as you drive. Now, you don't.

Darkness of tint has no impact on UV and Heat blocking.

Subaru is 50% all around, can't even tell it's tinted.
PXL_20230705_001137161.jpg

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Here on the Tundra, I've never had ceramic, and I'd never spend the extra dough for it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
  1. It does not add thermal stress to windows.
  2. Is non-metallic offering no interference to electronic signals.
  3. Enhances privacy.
  4. Durable

i've never had any of these issues with the old style tint.

next time I tint a vehicle I will do the full ceramic for the better heat rejection.

I have my windshield done in either 60 or 80%, can't remember which and love it. I don't need sunglasses most of the time, oncoming traffic doesn't blind you etc...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Mind if I ask how much the dealer is charging???
$450 for ceramic (side glass and rear glass). I'm not doing the windshield right now because I have my toll transceiver mounted towards the top passenger side, and if I were to have to remove it, it could cause damage. Not a big deal, since I don't have heat issues with the factory glass. It was 92 today and no interior issues. So that said, I spent about 30 minutes with the installer and he knows his craft and has many great reviews. He has an '03 black Cobra with 20% (ceramic) on the sides/rear and 35% (ceramic) on the windshield. He has another car with 35% (ceramic) on the sides/rear and 50% (ceramic) on the windshield. After looking at a lot of the cars he's done, I settled on the 35% for the side windows and rear window. I can always do the windshield later if I want to.

THANK YOU everyone for all of your great comments. They helped with my making my ultimate decision.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
$450 for ceramic (side glass and rear glass). I'm not doing the windshield right now because I have my toll transceiver mounted towards the top passenger side, and if I were to have to remove it, it could cause damage. Not a big deal, since I don't have heat issues with the factory glass. It was 92 today and no interior issues. So that said, I spent about 30 minutes with the installer and he knows his craft and has many great reviews. He has an '03 black Cobra with 20% (ceramic) on the sides/rear and 35% (ceramic) on the windshield. He has another car with 35% (ceramic) on the sides/rear and 50% (ceramic) on the windshield. After looking at a lot of the cars he's done, I settled on the 35% for the side windows and rear window. I can always do the windshield later if I want to.

THANK YOU everyone for all of your great comments. They helped with my making my ultimate decision.

More importantly what brand and model number tint is said dealers using?

Are they removing door cards and having the tint cut on a plotter or just pencil whipping it by hand?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Being from TX I say ceramic is worth it. Anything too keep the scorching heat down.

My advice is stay legal or do NOT go too dark.

I had 5% on my 03 Vert when I bought it. It looks cool as hell and driving during the day is nice, but at night you cannot see S#!T when trying to back up. I had to roll down my windows to back up LOL.

I have 5% on sides and back on my 65, BUT I do not drive the car that often and I installed a back up camera if the need to back up at night ever arises.

I took the tint off the 03 Vert and I have never tinted my Roush. My 03 Coupe, DD Challenger and wife's F-150 all have legal ceramic tint. No complaints here at all.

cobracide

Established Member
IDK..

I bought the hybrid tint at the legal limit - 12 years later and no bubbles.. silll looks as good as the day it was put on. The guy who did it was very skilled.. shop owner. Did it all by hand and quite impressive to me.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd throw 3M tint on it and be fine with it. No need to overthink; it's just tint and does everything in your 'pro's' list.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I have the lightest ceramic on a couple of my vehicles, including windshield. and you cant tell theyre tinted. Not an issue with cops. I had my old company vehicle done and you couldnt tell which was important because any modifications wasa big no no. It helped tremendously as i drove around all day in the summer heat. Had the windshield done as well so it all matches and looked natural.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread