Ford GT Nurburgring time?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Formula51 said:
Well over at digitalcorvettes.com there has been some information confirming it is a stock Z06 from a guy from Pratt and Miller. I didn't see any mention of a 7:43 though. This car was supposedly stock down to the tires and while driven by a great driver, Jan Magnussen, it is potentially faster in the hands of a ring regular.

To quote the guy from Pratt and Miller, "I just thought I'd let you guys know. Apparently Jan scared himself silly a couple times at the Nurburgring, and if that car is fast enough to scare Jan as crazy as he is, we got a rocket ship on our hands."

Here is the thread over at digitalcorvettes.com if anyone cares.
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39466&perpage=15&pagenumber=6

FordGTguy: I dont see anything strange about the comparison. Fords Supercar vs. Chevys Supercar. You can talk about differences of engine placement, weight, forced inductionc vs. NA, but thats just the way each prospective company decided to build their supercar. Hey, you can talk about price too, but thats no fun!

The C5 Z06 stopped from 60mph in 103ft. The Viper in 97ft. The GT is higher than both. The C6 Z06 will best the Viper in all categories (GM's goal), which means it would severly outbrake the GT. Contrary to popular opinion, getting into the corner (brakes) is more important than getting off (torque/power). The majority of passes are "made" entering the corner and "held" coming off.

Good post

Everywhere I looked the new Z did it in 7:40. I think some people have tried to start rumors that it wasn't a stock Z and that it was a "Blue Devil". Why would they post numbers of a car that doesn't "exist" when they have the Z coming out in a few months

Those brakes on the new Z have like 6 individual pads on each caliper on the front. Your eyeballs are going to pop out. :eek:

satx

Banned
Formula51 said:
The C5 Z06 stopped from 60mph in 103ft. The Viper in 97ft. The GT is higher than both. The C6 Z06 will best the Viper in all categories (GM's goal), which means it would severly outbrake the GT. Contrary to popular opinion, getting into the corner (brakes) is more important than getting off (torque/power). The majority of passes are "made" entering the corner and "held" coming off.

then why doesn't the dodge put up a monster number? By your numbers it outbraked AND is obviously much faster than the C5 Z, yet I have heard of no sub 7:56 lap for a SRT-10.

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
Formula51 said:
Well over at digitalcorvettes.com there has been some information confirming it is a stock Z06 from a guy from Pratt and Miller. I didn't see any mention of a 7:43 though. This car was supposedly stock down to the tires and while driven by a great driver, Jan Magnussen, it is potentially faster in the hands of a ring regular.

To quote the guy from Pratt and Miller, "I just thought I'd let you guys know. Apparently Jan scared himself silly a couple times at the Nurburgring, and if that car is fast enough to scare Jan as crazy as he is, we got a rocket ship on our hands."

Here is the thread over at digitalcorvettes.com if anyone cares.
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39466&perpage=15&pagenumber=6

FordGTguy: I dont see anything strange about the comparison. Fords Supercar vs. Chevys Supercar. You can talk about differences of engine placement, weight, forced inductionc vs. NA, but thats just the way each prospective company decided to build their supercar. Hey, you can talk about price too, but thats no fun!

Good thread, looks like we will all find out tomorrow what the deal is.

Formula51

Established Member
Yes, it barely outbrakes the C5 Z and is faster. Not sure I would say MUCH faster though. The difference is in handling, the cars' vehicle dynamics, weight, brake fade, etc, etc, etc. Your basic performance numbers are not everything Sir, thats why track times are so important for comparison!

The C5R and C5 Z pretty much dominated the road courses. The Viper is an awesome car, but its just not quite a Z on a road course. And yes that does pain me to say, because I LOVE VIPERS!

GTSpartan, chime in here if I am off base. Beautiful car by the way!

fordification

Established Member
The top gear power board is still the most consistent form of comparison testing, by using the same driver, with unmolested factory vehicles. The only changing variable is weather.

1st Maserati MC12 - 1.18.9

2nd Ferrari F60 Enzo - 1.19.0

3rd Ariel Atom - 1.19.5

4th Porsche Carerra GT - 1.19.8

5th Mercedes McLaren SLR - 1.20.9

Ford GT - 1.21.9

Ferrari 360 CS - 1.22.3

Porsche GT3 RS - 1.22.3

Murcielago - 1.23.7

Zonda - 1.23.8

Koenigsegg - 1.23.9

Noble - 1.25.0

Gallardo - 1.25.8

Lotus Exige - 1.26.4

Chevrolet Corvette C6 - 1.26.8

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG - 1.26.9

Porsche 911 GT3 - 1.27.2

TVR 350C - 1.27.5

BMW M3 CSL - 1.28.0

Dodge Viper SRT-10 - 1.28.5

MG SV - 1.28.6

Porsche 911 Carrera S - 1.28.9 (very wet)

Mitsubishi Evo VIII - 1.28.9

BMW Alpine Z8 - 1.29.0

Mercedes CL65 - 1.29

Alfa 3.7 GTA - 1.30.0

Subaru Impreza STI - 1.30.1

Aston Martin DB7 GT - 1.30.4

Audi S4 - 1.30.9

Porsche 911 turbo - 1.31.0

Vauxhall VX 220 turbo - 1.31.3

fordification

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Most of those cars that have faster times are race cars. The mighty CCR with 800hp only beat it by 1 sec and ~.5km/h. Just goes to show you that hp isn't everything.

It was stated that the CCR's .39 was the very first and only lap taken. They were there for publicity and not testing. It's on their website news.

fordification

Established Member
Formula51Side note: There should be confirmation tomorrow on whether the 7.40 Corvette time was the Z06 or Blue Devil and if it was on stock wheels and rubber.[/QUOTE said:
Where are you hearing this? Let us know when you do.

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
fordification said:

There is a guy on digital corvettes (Jim Hall) who is quite connected to reliable sources within the corvette community who is hoping to get confirmation.

Also, another poster on that site knows guys who physically saw the car at the ring and have confirmed the time and that it was in fact a stock-to the tires, C6-Z.

HTH,

-RR

Formula51

Established Member
Top Gear is another comparison, but as a lover of American cars, it is not one of the best. The Euro scum who drives those cars hates American cars and specifically the Corvette. He never has anything good to say about them and likely doesnt spend much time pushing them to their limits. The best way to compare cars is on the same track, with each car driven by a driver who knows that car inside and out. This is typically what happens at the ring.

Formula51

Established Member
fordification said:

This is what one of the guys involved in Corvette racing over at digitalcorvettes.com has to say, "I'm going with the crew members I know that were there that it was just a Z06. The full size picture I've seen of it with all 4 wheels off the ground, looks like the Z06 I have seen."

Formula51

Established Member
fordification said:
We'll see. Can't wait till a Ford GT vs Z06 shootout.

Me neither, but one thing you wouln't see in 9 out of 10 of those shootouts is track times. Your basic performance categories are one thing, but track times are totally different. The GT will accelerate faster, the Z will stop faster. Thats my prediction.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Formula51 said:
Yes, it barely outbrakes the C5 Z and is faster. Not sure I would say MUCH faster though. The difference is in handling, the cars' vehicle dynamics, weight, brake fade, etc, etc, etc. Your basic performance numbers are not everything Sir, thats why track times are so important for comparison!

The C5R and C5 Z pretty much dominated the road courses. The Viper is an awesome car, but its just not quite a Z on a road course. And yes that does pain me to say, because I LOVE VIPERS!

GTSpartan, chime in here if I am off base. Beautiful car by the way!

Vipers are very fast on road courses, but they have a very thin line between fast and out of control because it's hard to determine when you are at the "limit". I've seen them race against each other many times and a equally prepaired and driven Viper will beat a Z, but most people will turn faster lap times in a Z becasue they are much easier to drive fast and have a very predictable limit and will let you know when you are getting close.

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Vipers are very fast on road courses, but they have a very thin line between fast and out of control because it's hard to determine when you are at the "limit". I've seen them race against each other many times and a equally prepaired and driven Viper will beat a Z, but most people will turn faster lap times in a Z becasue they are much easier to drive fast and have a very predictable limit and will let you know when you are getting close.

Very true and exactly my first-hand experience with a GTS and SRT.

-RR

Steeltwo

Established Member
fordification said:
The top gear power board is still the most consistent form of comparison testing, by using the same driver, with unmolested factory vehicles. The only changing variable is weather.

Dodge Viper SRT-10 - 1.28.5(it was raining during this test)

Mitsubishi Evo VIII - 1.28.9(wet, rained shortly before)

Steeltwo

Established Member
Formula51 said:
Top Gear is another comparison, but as a lover of American cars, it is not one of the best. The Euro scum who drives those cars hates American cars and specifically the Corvette. He never has anything good to say about them and likely doesnt spend much time pushing them to their limits. The best way to compare cars is on the same track, with each car driven by a driver who knows that car inside and out. This is typically what happens at the ring.

the guy liked the srt10

but said he had to own one because it was what sports cars were suppose to be like. Rugged, with too much power :)

Formula51

Established Member
Well to quote his review of the C6:

"Sure, goes the common wisdom, the Corvette is powerful, fast, handles decently, and is good value next to a Porsche 911. But it's not quite good enough all-round to satisfy Euro-elitists - the types for whom the Chevrolet's proletarian background means they just can't take it seriously."

Thats the idea carried through in most reviews of American cars. It is usually more subtle than that though. Then he says, "Personally, I've always liked the Corvette, but never loved it enough to consider ownership." Well that's fine, not everyone wants to own a Corvette. It's just the way he puts all those little comments in there. The car is inferior to Europeans and it looks like he is included.

Yet, after all that bitching, and pointing out that the Vette's brakes, handling, etc. were inferior to the Porsche 911. He goes out and runs theses times:

Chevrolet Corvette - 1.26.8
Porsche 911 GT3 - 1.27.2
TVR 350C - 1.27.5
BMW M3 CSL - 1.28.0
MG SV - 1.28.6
BMW Alpine Z8 - 1.29.0
Mercedes CL65 - 1.29
Alfa 3.7 GTA - 1.30.0
Audi S4 - 1.30.9
Honda NSX Type R - 1.31.6
BMW M3 - 1.31.8

Yep, the Vette definitely sucks balls compared to all those Porsches it showed its tailights to! Screw him. The SRT-10 may be faster than the Z in the hands of some drivers, but it wasnt even faster than a C6 in his hands. Do you still like his tests now?

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
Back on topic though. Does anyone know if we will ever get Nurburgring times for the GT? Does Ford even plan to take the car there? It's just so strange because usually this is something done during the development and debut of a supercar.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Formula51 said:
Well to quote his review of the C6:

"Sure, goes the common wisdom, the Corvette is powerful, fast, handles decently, and is good value next to a Porsche 911. But it's not quite good enough all-round to satisfy Euro-elitists - the types for whom the Chevrolet's proletarian background means they just can't take it seriously."

Thats the idea carried through in most reviews of American cars. It is usually more subtle than that though. Then he says, "Personally, I've always liked the Corvette, but never loved it enough to consider ownership." Well that's fine, not everyone wants to own a Corvette. It's just the way he puts all those little comments in there. The car is inferior to Europeans and it looks like he is included.

Yet, after all that bitching, and pointing out that the Vette's brakes, handling, etc. were inferior to the Porsche 911. He goes out and runs theses times:

Chevrolet Corvette - 1.26.8
Porsche 911 GT3 - 1.27.2
TVR 350C - 1.27.5
BMW M3 CSL - 1.28.0
MG SV - 1.28.6
BMW Alpine Z8 - 1.29.0
Mercedes CL65 - 1.29
Alfa 3.7 GTA - 1.30.0
Audi S4 - 1.30.9
Honda NSX Type R - 1.31.6
BMW M3 - 1.31.8

Yep, the Vette definitely sucks balls compared to all those Porsches it showed its tailights to! Screw him. The SRT-10 may be faster than the Z in the hands of some drivers, but it wasnt even faster than a C6 in his hands. Do you still like his tests now?

FWIW the SRT-10 was tested when the track was really wet. I have the video.

Users who are viewing this thread