Ford GT Nurburgring time?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
fordification said:

Proof? No way, a CGT did it in 7.32 and that car would kill a GT on a road course that large. Better accel, brakes, handling, and lighter. Plus no S/C to get heat soaked.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Everyone going to be up in arms by posting those crazy numbers. It probably has already spread to every car forum on the net and will be in next months M/T and C/D issues

fordification

Established Member
hahaha. just guessin.
I knew that'd stir up some $hit. :p

you guys must be aching for a slower number. so there's no way a FGT would take the Z06 then?

Formula51

Established Member
fordification said:
I'm sure all these ring cars are tested and proven not to be tuners either right?

Yes, they are validated to be factory stock and those that are not are reported as such. There are factory stock times and tire only times for some cars, full race car times, etc.

The GT could definitely be faster than the Z06, but we need a real test to know that answer.

My money says the GT will run between a 7:40 and a 7:50, so it could be faster or slower. I say this because two tests of the McLaren SLR were 7:50 (or was it 7:52?) and most recently 7:40. The GT is a pretty comporable track car to the SLR and was one second off in your favorite Top Gear lap times.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
Here is my email reply from the webpage linked earlier. As I expected, the GT was not tested. There is always a reason it seems like!

Hi, yes it was on stock tires and factory stock (maybe almost - a street
driven press car), during the open session for the public you can only drive
20,8 of the 22, something km Nordschleife, you also have to slow down early
enough on the strait for not going through the "hinders" on the track, so
they could not do a comparable timing. Surprisingly they did not run one of
the conversion GTs at the ring, but probably since these are already sold
customers cars that are not race tested due to the high risk of damaging
one.
The 9.30 for the Fiesta ST was a time that the RS-Team leader had done
before on the full Nordschleife.
Anyway everybody felt sick after driving with the prof. race driver, even
the Roush guy, he was just lucky that he had to stay in it only 1/3 of the
track during the photoshooting sessions where they stopped at some turns.
Two journalists were pretty white in their face, I was happy to be in it
only during a slow session, Armin the pro said, it's way to soft for the
Ring and the Roush guy mentioned that it would not withstand extended racing
at this old Ring in its street set-up, it would need a completely reworked
set-up
Wolfgang

It really is starting to piss me off and I am starting to have some dis-respect for Ford and the GT. Ford brings the car to LeMans and now Nurburgring and never brings a track ready car for testing. All they do is drive around pieces of famous tracks and take pictures! What, so people think the car ran there! Just pisses me off.

As I have been saying, "You can't lose if you dont run!"

Last edited:

Fadis_Z

Established Member
A few clarifications.

The C6 Z lapped the N-ring at an exact time of 7m 42.9 secs. A lot of people round it to 7m 43s, but I wont becuase that is not what it did it in :-D

It WAS the Z06, NOT the Blue Devil. People are uneducated and said it was the BD just because the car was blue.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85041

Also, for those that don't know, the car just recently got rated at 198 mph for its top speed. I was told it will hit 200, but rated at 198 due to insurance purposes.

EPA ratings/GM performance claims:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=464011#post464011

More GM claims:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85331

And as far as the CGT, the car has lapped the N-ring with various times, 7:28 being the best. Yes, that is right- 7:28!!

Last edited:

Big 8

Established Member
Your source is? Not being lame but there is a lot of hype and opinion in this thread.

Its not FORD's job to test their car at the ring. They dont need to push it as all have been spoken for by the dealer networks and they dont need the hype? All it would do is satisfy the ring junkies. (including me)

As far as anything else goes everything I have ever seen or read on the car (same as all of you) is that its one hell of a performer. Its been tested head to head against the Carrera GT, the Enzo, the 360 Stradle, the GT3 etc etc etc. It has done very well in every test and is quite clearly a super car. To insist that it is faster or isnt is pure conjecture! However from everything out there one could easily deduce the damn thing is fast! So when one does and I am sure one will lap the ring it will do well. IMHO! :beer:

Oh and by the way it wasnt 7:35 it was 7:34:55 ;-)

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Not seeing this big deal about ring times. And I know all about the blase' aura associated with the ring and what it represents.

Once we get some head to head figures for both cars (0-400m, 0-1000m, Co-efficient of drag, slalom speed, skidpad ratings, braking distances, WHP #'s etc.etc.) the ring time won't even be needed. If a Ford GT pulled a 1.34g rating through a turn as reported by fordification, I think the GT is going to be suprising quite a few naysayers if it did show up and have a professional driving it round N-Ring.

Way I see it, if GM has already ran the C6Z at the ring I wouldn't be holding my breath for Ford to go take a car that is almost a year old out there now.

jbarger

Established Member
I say the best way to settle this argument in my opinion would be to take the Z06 and the Ford GT to Mid Ohio. This track has a fair amount of twisties and also long straights. Put two top IRL drivers in each seat and have them race for one hour. I would bet the house that the Ford GT would destroy the Z06.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
jbarger said:
I say the best way to settle this argument in my opinion would be to take the Z06 and the Ford GT to Mid Ohio. This track has a fair amount of twisties and also long straights. Put two top IRL drivers in each seat and have them race for one hour. I would bet the house that the Ford GT would destroy the Z06.

Sorry, the GT WILL NOT DESTROY the new Z. What makes you believe that. The GT has not be officially tested at any road courses against other cars. The most it has done is get its picture taken at LeMans and the 'ring and raced at the drag strip in a few mags. Think whatever you want about the new Z, GM has spent countless hours developing it and has backed it up with official lap times. If Ford is so sure it is faster, then race it. By not, they come off like they are afraid of tarnishing its image if it loses. Who care if it does 205, the CCR does ~240 and it sucks on a road course.

Just race it and see what happens, if the GT races and wins, it will further solidify it in automotive history. If it doesn't, it will just be one of the one trick pony cars that was made for a few years and nobody really knew what it could do.

Formula51

Established Member
jbarger said:

I though this had been clarified and agreed upon. There will be no "destroying" when comparing the Ford GT and the Z06. One will win some categories, the other will win the remaining categories. Neither will "destroy" the other in any of the categories. So far (the key here) these appear to be two competetive cars in terms of performance. The major difference is that the GT is more exotic and unique, while the Z06 is MUCH cheaper and more economical (no gas guzzler tax). The Z06 is the best combination of performance, cost and likely reliability (based on 24hrs of lemans and past generation). It is a car you will see out on the road often and a car many can afford. However, the GT is one of the most unique American supercars ever made and thus a car you are more likley to see sitting in someone's personal collection.

If they performed identical, not saying they do (just a hypothetical here), and I had the money, I would take the GT over the Z anyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Why? Because it is more rare and one amazing looking car! But back on Earth, maybe one day I will be able to buy a Z and have that kind of perfomance; I'm not sure I will ever be able to buy a GT. I think that captures the essence of the Z. It is a supercar competitor that many people will be able to own, not just a picture in a magazine that many people will talk about and only a lucky few will get to own.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Sorry, the GT WILL NOT DESTROY the new Z. What makes you believe that. The GT has not be officially tested at any road courses against other cars. The most it has done is get its picture taken at LeMans and the 'ring and raced at the drag strip in a few mags. Think whatever you want about the new Z, GM has spent countless hours developing it and has backed it up with official lap times. If Ford is so sure it is faster, then race it. By not, they come off like they are afraid of tarnishing its image if it loses. Who care if it does 205, the CCR does ~240 and it sucks on a road course.

Just race it and see what happens, if the GT races and wins, it will further solidify it in automotive history. If it doesn't, it will just be one of the one trick pony cars that was made for a few years and nobody really knew what it could do.

I understand your point- but you also have to understand that the Gt came out first, so Gm knows what the target number is, the same can be said for the Srt, The CGT, and the enzo etc. Gm has done this sorta thing before, they're always the late comer to the party- remember the 00R, well give Gm 1 year and what do they release? A 385hp 00R beater, not by much but by just enough. I'm not saying the Z cars aren't awesome, or that GM does it on purpose, but I am saying that knowing what you need to beat makes it a little easier, ya know? I mean look at the Srt a friggin awesome car since its debut (vipers not just srt), the FGT makes it look over priced and unrefined, imagine what the C6Z will make it look like...
:beer:

*edit* Gm did release the Zr1's back in the day- those cars were well ahead of their competition

Last edited:

Big 8

Established Member
GTSpartan said:

Do you honestly believe this???? You dont think that the guys who built this thing didnt have it out head to head against other cars? You dont think it will hang with the best of em? Fact is the car has done tons of laps at numerous tracks and has destroyed anything close in its price range. Rather it be private owners or magazines or auto shows they all have said the same thing. Its fast, faster then damn near everything else they have run. At least twenety magazines have tested the car head to head on road courses, yes mag racers. With guys who drive cars ever day for a living. They drive the GT back to back against F430s Gallardos, Vipers, etc. GT has damn near one every test I have ever read about. Being only tenths behind CGT and ENZO in raw acceleration, matching in slalom speeds and latteral gs. To think the Nordschlief would have it puking up its guts is stupid.
I would imagine youll get your chance to see one run. When you do perhaps youll see a good driver behind the wheel? One trick pony car? :shrug: I dont think so. Race it why? To advertise a car they wont be selling? Not unless Ford wants to be purchased by the Germans, it would simply be a waste of money.

Fact is teh GT is one of the fastest cars money can buy. Its also one of the best performing cars money can buy. Anyone who sees it any other way is obviously blind with bias.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Big 8 said:
Do you honestly believe this???? You dont think that the guys who built this thing didnt have it out head to head against other cars? You dont think it will hang with the best of em? Fact is the car has done tons of laps at numerous tracks and has destroyed anything close in its price range. Rather it be private owners or magazines or auto shows they all have said the same thing. Its fast, faster then damn near everything else they have run. At least twenety magazines have tested the car head to head on road courses, yes mag racers. With guys who drive cars ever day for a living. They drive the GT back to back against F430s Gallardos, Vipers, etc. GT has damn near one every test I have ever read about. Being only tenths behind CGT and ENZO in raw acceleration, matching in slalom speeds and latteral gs. To think the Nordschlief would have it puking up its guts is stupid.
I would imagine youll get your chance to see one run. When you do perhaps youll see a good driver behind the wheel? One trick pony car? :shrug: I dont think so. Race it why? To advertise a car they wont be selling? Not unless Ford wants to be purchased by the Germans, it would simply be a waste of money.

Fact is teh GT is one of the fastest cars money can buy. Its also one of the best performing cars money can buy. Anyone who sees it any other way is obviously blind with bias.

I never meant to sound like the GT was not a good track car, it is. They just refuse to enter it into any sort of sanctioned racing that will give everyone a good understanding of what it is capable off. Having rags to heads up comparos is stupid. Yeah they measure all the tangible data, but they really don't test them in sustained racing situations where small weaknesses in the measured data turn into big ones. Why do most people prefer the F430 over the GT after a drive even though the GT is faster?

Yeah the GT was within a few 10th of the Enzo and CGT, but do you actually think it would hold its own in a long race. Show me the data af the GT destroying other cars on race tracks.The other two would destroy the GT after a few laps at the 'ring. The problem with the GT, whether you want to believe it or not is the s/c engine. After a few hard laps they run hot and lose power, I can vouch for that.

Race it, plain and simple. Corvettes, Vipers, Ferraris, and Porsches all do and it helps them sell cars that are based on race proven designs. My only gripe is that Ford is advertising it as a former LeMans winner with the all the heritage. IT WAS LIKE 35 YEARS AGO. I wasn't even born for like 10 years after that. If Saleens small company can field a competitive ALMS car, you bet Ford can. Thats why they built the original, not to set in showrooms for months with 75k markups. For me, racing the cars give them a lot more credibility than what a rag says.

Last edited:

satx

Banned
please let this thread die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE GT HAS A TON A HP, GREAT BRAKES, GREAT SUSPENSION, A 43/57 WEIGHT DISTRABUTION, ETC. I AM SURE IT WOULD BE HARD FOR IT NOT TO PUT UP AN AWESOME NUMBER AT THE "RING". BUT WHO CARES....I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY "RING" TIMES FOR THE ENZO, DO YOU KNOW WHY? ANSWER......IT DOESN'T MATTER. FERRARI SOLD ALL OF THEM. WHY SPEND THE $$. OBVIOUSLY THE COSTS ARE NOT WORTH IT TO FORD OR THEY WOULD RACE THE CAR.........PERIOD.

Users who are viewing this thread