Ford GT Nurburgring time?

Formula51

Established Member
satx said:
please let this thread die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE GT HAS A TON A HP, GREAT BRAKES, GREAT SUSPENSION, A 43/57 WEIGHT DISTRABUTION, ETC. I AM SURE IT WOULD BE HARD FOR IT NOT TO PUT UP AN AWESOME NUMBER AT THE "RING". BUT WHO CARES....I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY "RING" TIMES FOR THE ENZO, DO YOU KNOW WHY? ANSWER......IT DOESN'T MATTER. FERRARI SOLD ALL OF THEM. WHY SPEND THE $$. OBVIOUSLY THE COSTS ARE NOT WORTH IT TO FORD OR THEY WOULD RACE THE CAR.........PERIOD.

I will let the thread die.....after this. It is possible the Enzo was not run at the ring because all of the cars were sold, so who cares. However, it is also possible that the Enzo was not run at the ring for fear of loosing to the CGT. This follows the theory for why the Ford GT was not run at the ring: you can't loose if you dont run.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Which is why it wins when they compare it to the Enzo and CGT? :shrug:

I hardly think fear of loss is the case.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
50 BMG said:

I can tell you why, its because they don't need to. Why would the Ford GT have to beat a car setup for the ring to be great? because it doesn't it already is great. :rockon:

PhordPhanatic

Established Member
Just a thought and a rumor.....the GT came out first, GM now had a bench mark to beat....now perhaps Ford has some numbers to beat....maybe the 06 GT will beat those numbers. Would be very easy to ring out more HP on the GT...of course rumors are rumors, depends on the source.. :thumbsup: :pepper: :rockon:

Formula51

Established Member
50 BMG said:

Please show me the comparison where it beat the Enzo and CGT. If you are refering to Top Gear's test, then I believe it did not beat either car. It may have edged one of them out in the quarter, but keep in mind Top Gear's marvelous 11.2 second run has not been duplicated by many. I think MT may have run an 11.2 in Arizona with a very good driver. Most mags have run in the 11.5-12.0 range. I believe MM&FF only ran a 10.9 with a pullied and DR Ford GT. It seems like saying the GT runs 11.2 is like saying the C5 Z06 runs 11.7, but who knows. However, we all know it doesn't beat the CGT or the Enzo on a road course.

PhordPhanatic said:
Just a thought and a rumor.....the GT came out first, GM now had a bench mark to beat....now perhaps Ford has some numbers to beat....maybe the 06 GT will beat those numbers. Would be very easy to ring out more HP on the GT...of course rumors are rumors, depends on the source..

In order to beat someones numbers you have to actually get some of your own. As everyone keeps stating here, there are no plans for Ford to test the car at Nurburgring. Also, more horsepower on the GT does not necessarily mean faster times. There are other more important factors to good track times than say 50hp.

Last edited:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Formula51 said:
Please show me the comparison where it beat the Enzo and CGT. If you are refering to Top Gear's test, then I believe it did not beat either car. It may have edged one of them out in the quarter, but keep in mind Top Gear's marvelous 11.2 second run has not been duplicated by many. I think MT may have run an 11.2 in Arizona with a very good driver. Most mags have run in the 11.5-12.0 range. I believe MM&FF only ran a 10.9 with a pullied and DR Ford GT. It seems like saying the GT runs 11.2 is like saying the C5 Z06 runs 11.7, but who knows. However, we all know it doesn't beat the CGT or the Enzo on a road course.

You missed the sarcasm in the first sentence. Not your fault, it's the internet.

The GT never did win against those 2 (because it won't), and more often than not the GT is getting compared to those 2 cars.

Which is why I said your fear of loss (the reason they can't/won't run the car @ the ring) argument is out the window.

fordification

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
I never meant to sound like the GT was not a good track car, it is. They just refuse to enter it into any sort of sanctioned racing that will give everyone a good understanding of what it is capable off. Having rags to heads up comparos is stupid. Yeah they measure all the tangible data, but they really don't test them in sustained racing situations where small weaknesses in the measured data turn into big ones. Why do most people prefer the F430 over the GT after a drive even though the GT is faster?

Yeah the GT was within a few 10th of the Enzo and CGT, but do you actually think it would hold its own in a long race. Show me the data af the GT destroying other cars on race tracks.The other two would destroy the GT after a few laps at the 'ring. The problem with the GT, whether you want to believe it or not is the s/c engine. After a few hard laps they run hot and lose power, I can vouch for that.

I'm not sure I know of any official race where you take a stock production vehicle and run in a class. Usually some huge difference between a race track car and production.

joeclams9

Established Member
I think both cars are awesome. However, I don't think the gt could beat the new z at the track. My reasoning is two fold in that A. Given equal drivers and tires, the gt weighs more despite having more power for the straights(remember there are approx. 72 turns on the ring). And B. after running for about 5 minutes balls to the wall, I feel as though some heat soak would suck away a decent amount of that power edge that the gt has(30-40hp maybe). Could be wrong but thats mho. By the way, I would love to have both, but more a gt with some rediculously loud exhaust.

Joe

FordGTGuy

Established Member
50 BMG said:
You missed the sarcasm in the first sentence. Not your fault, it's the internet.

The GT never did win against those 2 (because it won't), and more often than not the GT is getting compared to those 2 cars.

Which is why I said your fear of loss (the reason they can't/won't run the car @ the ring) argument is out the window.

well it might not have beat them but if you pay close attention it beats and keep up with them in alot of differen't areas, except price :)

Big 8

Established Member
fordification said:
I'm not sure I know of any official race where you take a stock production vehicle and run in a class. Usually some huge difference between a race track car and production.

Agreed 100% While GTS spartan is right about heat soak I doubt a team with a fifty million dollar budget is going to see heat soak? Would the car make a great race car? We will probably never know. Dodge isnt running the new Vipers in anything either, does this make it any less of a car? No. The MERC CLK DTM runs a nice big Lyshom Blower, not sure of its times or if it suffers bad heat soak?

Are there any street cars that can run five hot laps at the ring? I would have to see it to believe it. If there were it would be the ring Taxis, not the super cars. In an endurance race would the Ford GT suffer, Guess we will just have to go to the ring with My GT, F430, Viper, CGT, C6ZO6 and run em all to find out, I will let you know who ran the best five in a row when I wake up! ;-)

Formula51

Established Member
50 BMG said:

Sorry I missed the sarcasm. I agree that the GT is a great car, but keep in mind that the Ring is COMPLETELY unlike the straight line tests and small (relatively speaking), smooth tracks the GT has been tested on and compared to those cars. I hope my theory is incorrect, but I dont think the CGT needs to Ring times to sell cars and it has been run there MULTIPLE times. Bragging rights are a good enough reason for me.

FordGTGuy said:
well it might not have beat them but if you pay close attention it beats and keep up with them in alot of differen't areas, except price

I agree it keeps up in most categories, but which ones does it beat them in? Dont get me wrong, keeping up in that company is very impressive. Also, dont forget that the two times it was compared to those cars it ran an 11.2 in the 1/4 mile and those two times happen to be the only times it ran anywhere near that number. That could be conditions and driver of course, but imagine if it ran the 11.5 or 11.7 or even the 12.0 in that test (Keep in mind the enzo and CGT were not tested on the same day as the GT in the Top Gear test at all, so this would be entirely possible). Not starting a war, just some things to think about. The only category I think the GT doesn't really keep up with those cars in is braking. The GT is a great car and I have never said otherwise. I am just frustrated it was not tested at the Ring and that frustration comes through in my posts, thats all. I am a little bit of a 'Ring junky' I guess.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
Big 8 said:
Agreed 100% While GTS spartan is right about heat soak I doubt a team with a fifty million dollar budget is going to see heat soak? Would the car make a great race car? We will probably never know. Dodge isnt running the new Vipers in anything either, does this make it any less of a car? No. The MERC CLK DTM runs a nice big Lyshom Blower, not sure of its times or if it suffers bad heat soak?

Are there any street cars that can run five hot laps at the ring? I would have to see it to believe it. If there were it would be the ring Taxis, not the super cars. In an endurance race would the Ford GT suffer, Guess we will just have to go to the ring with My GT, F430, Viper, CGT, C6ZO6 and run em all to find out, I will let you know who ran the best five in a row when I wake up! ;-)

You will still see heat soak no matter what you budget is. It's the nature of engine characteristics. You can minimize it, but thats all.

Yes, I do believe there are street cars that could run five hot laps at the ring. I think the Z could as a stock one was tested there for numerous laps. I also think the CGT, GT3 RS, etc. could. I would also venture that several of the slower cars could as well. But, who knows, they dont report that kind of stuff.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
Formula51 said:
Sorry I missed the sarcasm. I agree that the GT is a great car, but keep in mind that the Ring is COMPLETELY unlike the straight line tests and small (relatively speaking), smooth tracks the GT has been tested on and compared to those cars. I hope my theory is incorrect, but I dont think the CGT needs to Ring times to sell cars and it has been run there MULTIPLE times. Bragging rights are a good enough reason for me.

I agree it keeps up in most categories, but which ones does it beat them in? Dont get me wrong, keeping up in that company is very impressive. Also, dont forget that the two times it was compared to those cars it ran an 11.2 in the 1/4 mile and those two times happen to be the only times it ran anywhere near that number. That could be conditions and driver of course, but imagine if it ran the 11.5 or 11.7 or even the 12.0 in that test (Keep in mind the enzo and CGT were not tested on the same day as the GT in the Top Gear test at all, so this would be entirely possible). Not starting a war, just some things to think about. The only category I think the GT doesn't really keep up with those cars in is braking. The GT is a great car and I have never said otherwise. I am just frustrated it was not tested at the Ring and that frustration comes through in my posts, thats all. I am a little bit of a 'Ring junky' I guess.

FGT has a higher powerband than either the CGT or the Enzo, Better mpg, faster 600 ft slalom mph than the Enzo, FGT has the most torque out of all, best wieght/power, nice low redline compared to the others.

keeps up in 1/4 mile, braking, and about every other damn thing except price.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
FordGTGuy said:
FGT has a higher powerband than either the CGT or the Enzo, Better mpg

Ahh, who cares? Which one is faster and which one stops better? Thats really all that matters. MPG doesn't matter when we are talking about $100K plus cars. It's nice, but a bit of a stretch even on the $70k Z06. If you can afford these cars, you dont care about gas mileage.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
Formula51 said:
Ahh, who cares? Which one is faster and which one stops better? Thats really all that matters. MPG doesn't matter when we are talking about $100K plus cars. It's nice, but a bit of a stretch even on the $70k Z06. If you can afford these cars, you dont care about gas mileage.

faster 600 ft slalom mph than the Enzo, FGT has the most torque out of all, best wieght/power, nice low redline compared to the others.

keeps up in 1/4 mile, braking, and about every other damn thing except price.

Formula you need to figure out that there are more things to being a better car than preformance.

on a side note, the ford gt actually has a better compression ratio for upgrading the engine. but imagine the power you could pull if you raised the compression ratio :)

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Big 8 said:
Dodge isnt running the new Vipers in anything either, does this make it any less of a car? No.

FWIW, Actaully they race the competition coupe in the SpeedGT series, where it dominates pretty much every race. It's currently running major intake restrictions (~45%) and weight penalties and still wins.

Big 8

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
FWIW, Actaully they race the competition coupe in the SpeedGT series, where it dominates pretty much every race. It's currently running major intake restrictions (~45%) and weight penalties and still wins.

Is that a factory effort? I thought it was privateers with Mopar support?

Either way who knows? I have been to the ring one time. Paid $75 to go around in the back of a Merc sedan. Loved every second. If I could buy a FGT today I know it would never see the ring. Since 98% of the FGT will be sold in America its safe to say 95% will never see the ring, why test there? They are not really marketing the car to Europeans. The CGT, the Corvette they are being sold in Europe.

Would I like to see its time, Hell yes.

Formula51

Established Member
FordGTGuy said:
Formula you need to figure out that there are more things to being a better car than preformance.

Are you trying to tell me that the Ford GT is a better car than the Enzo or Carrera GT? I completely understand what makes a car great. All the engine characteristics you named effect the way the car has to be driven to obtain it's optimal performance, which in turn can affect performance numbers. However, if one car is faster than the other, than its faster than the other. The rest doesn't matter.

Its like saying the sprinter who finished second has better running shoes! Who the hell cares, he still finished second.

Users who are viewing this thread