Full Tilt Boogie Racing's 14" front SN-95 Brembo brake conversion kits now available

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Bruce, this is what I have. Looks like a radial mounted caliper that utilizes a bracket as well.

First pic is of the kit laid out brand new. Second pic are of mine which are dirty.

DCP_2755_zpsf8c664bb.jpg

IMG_2803_zpsb4194957.jpg

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Troy:

It 'appears' to me that you have Brembo F-40 or F-50 radial mount calipers with a 'custom' caliper mounting bracket which accepts a 14" GT500 rotor. This places your caliper into a different position to accecpt the non-standard GT500 rotor for that particular application.

I wish you would have posted a photo of your used rotor so we could see how much unused rotor surface (below the caliper) is not being used.

Hopefully you do NOT use the taller GT500 pad on that set-up because the pistons will be pushing unevenly on the pads by applying more pressure to the top of the pad and less to the bottom.

The good news is you'll be able to run our GT500 replacement rotors FT 9108 2 pc bolt together units which are available in three rotor weights or our FT 9120 floating rotor assemblies that are also available in three rotor weights as well. The three rotor weights are heavy duty road race, lightweight street, and ultralightweight drag race.

The bad news is you'd have to buy new caliper brackets in order to run the lighter weight SN-95 14" rotor we offer which is almost identical (and interchangeable) with the Brembo Gran Turismo 355x32mm rotor assembly.

If you want to post dimensions for the OAH of your pads, I would be glad to tell you which pads you're running.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ok I saved the pic to my photobucket and added it in my first post. Let me know if its working

Ok, I see it now. It's kind of hard to tell seeing it's not used but there is a very faint dark line on that rotor that 'appears' to be the bottom of the brake pad. :shrug: This partial use of the entire rotor surface is what most Cobra owners have experienced with the OEM PBR calipers and the OEM 13" rotors. Cobra owners with Y2KR calipers use significantly more of the surface of the same rotor.

Measure the total overall height of your pads and I will let you know what pads you have.

Or better yet, give me the caliper #'s off of your caliper and I will compare them the the F-50 Brembo calipers I have.

I'm still convinced that you are going to have to change the caliper mounting brackets in order to run a different rotor than the GT500 rotor you are currently running.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I just read though this post again. Bruce, are you implying that there is a way to run your new 14" rotor with the Vintage Venom caliper by replacing the mounting bracket? If so, I would be interested in this. Just wanted to make sure.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I will say, I really never thought about the weight of the GT 500 rotor when I bought this kit. It really is enormous! What was Ford's reasoning for using such a massive rotor?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I just read though this post again. Bruce, are you implying that there is a way to run your new 14" rotor with the Vintage Venom caliper by replacing the mounting bracket? If so, I would be interested in this. Just wanted to make sure.

This is my understanding since i have a radial mounted caliper. I just want to see how much for Bruce's brackets and rotors.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

My first instinct would be to say yes, but before I say yes, let's compare the Brembo caliper casting numbers between the F-50 Brembo calipers I have and the VV Brembo calipers first.

This is my VV kit. Does this help?

Yes that does help. It looks like the pad is in fact using the entire height (width) of the rotor face. Now my next question is, are the caliper pistons centered to the top and bottom of the brake pads? Or, did VV put a GT500 pad on a F-50 caliper to cover the entire face of the rotor and knowingly have the pistons off center from top to bottom? This would cause severe tapered wear of the pads from the top to the bottom.

I will say, I really never thought about the weight of the GT 500 rotor when I bought this kit. It really is enormous! What was Ford's reasoning for using such a massive rotor?

Ford's reasoning for using such a massive 14" rotor was the increased power level of the 2007 GT500 and the increased weight of the vehicle. The brakes are awesome but the weight of those rotors is beyond ridiculous. :rollseyes They weigh over 25# EACH:

S-197_OEM_GT_500_rotor_weight.jpg

The street version of our SN-95 14" conversion rotor weighs significantly less. It actually weighs 16.68#:

FT%209490%2016.68lbs.jpg

That is a almost a 5# total weight savings as compared to the 19.1# OEM 13" Cobra rotor:

brembo1pc19.1lbs.jpg

and OVER a 17# weight savings per pair compared to the 14" GT500 rotors in the VV kit. :read:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I will check. Maybe I can pull one of the wheels off and check the caliper. I will take pics and post them. From what I remember, the pistons are centered on the pad. I will confirm.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I will check. Maybe I can pull one of the wheels off and check the caliper. I will take pics and post them. From what I remember, the pistons are centered on the pad. I will confirm.

Also measure the over all height of the pad. If it has the taller pad AND the pistons are centered top to bottom, it's not like the F-50 Brembo calipers that I have.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
There unfortunately are not any casting number markings on the Brembo calipers that I have.

I have also been doing some research on the differences between the F-40 and F-50 Brembo calipers and I'm not having a lot of luck. According to what I've found, they both use the same brake pad.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
There unfortunately are not any casting number markings on the Brembo calipers that I have.

I have also been doing some research on the differences between the F-40 and F-50 Brembo calipers and I'm not having a lot of luck. According to what I've found, they both use the same brake pad.

From what I remember the pads I pulled out (which I still have) had even pad wear. Once I get back home I'll clean them up, take better pics and get to the bottom of it. I would love to run your upgraded rotors with my setup, even if i need to buy your brackets.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
From what I remember the pads I pulled out (which I still have) had even pad wear. Once I get back home I'll clean them up, take better pics and get to the bottom of it. I would love to run your upgraded rotors with my setup, even if i need to buy your brackets.

Troy:

'IF' the witness marks of the pistons on your used pads are centered top to bottom then you'd be unable to use our lighter weight rotors. Your calipers would then be designed to run the longer pads and would require the wider braking surface on the rotor.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Alright Bruce I cleaned my calipers up a bit and took some better pics today. I showed the rotors and pads that came with them.

P9010004_zps323cd116.jpg

P9010002_zps57c2081f.jpg
P9010006_zps9eb8e9fb.jpg
P9010007_zps2c8ec872.jpg
P9010008_zps87afc698.jpg
P9010009_zps8dee333d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread