Germany Vacation

clbailey

Established Member
Im deployed to Afghanistan and will be taking my r and r in Germany as it would cost the same to just fly my wife there and I will space a then it would to fly home to do the same ol song and dance.

Obviously the ring for me is top priority and she wants to see a castle, what else does svtp recommend for a trip to Germany? Im a history/war buff and she is into midevil things and I do love German beer.

Money really isnt a big issue but I dont want to blow any unnecessarily.

Last edited:

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Depending on when you're there, a lot of people may recommend Oktoberfest, but in all honesty it's overrated as ****.

oldmodman

Established Member
I loved Germany!

I had ordered a BMW for European delivery so I had a "free car" to drive while I was there.

Drove randomly all over the place. One thing I really enjoyed was taking a river cruise. Just sat on the deck drinking, eating like a pig, and watching the world go by. Took a train back to where I left the car.

At the time I was there the dollar to DM was incredibly in my favor. So everything seemed really cheap.

I stopped in almost every little village and did the tourist thing. Lots of amazing castles and churches. And every village has there own brewmaster with great brews. I hope you like beer.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Im deployed to Afghanistan and will be taking my r and r in Germany as it would cost the same to just fly my wife there and I will space a then it would to fly home to do the same ol song and dance.

Obviously the ring for me is top priority and she wants to see a castle, what else does svtp recommend for a trip to Germany? Im a history/war buff and she is into midevil things and I do love German beer.

Money really isnt a big issue but I dont want to blow any unnecessarily.

I assume you will fly into Ramstein.

I took my wife to the Wartime Cemeteries below a few years back, She is from the former SOviet Union and asked why America feels it has to get in everyone's business. At the end of the trip I told her at henri Chapelle to look around because this is what happens when we do not get in everyone's business and wait for tyrants to become a global threat.

You can take a quick run into Luxembourg and Belgium. Search the War Cemeteries and you can see General Patton's grave, go the Bastogne and see the small museaum, go to Malmedy, and Houfalaise (sp) and Henri Chapelle: http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/hc.php .

If you like older wars Germany is full of Castles along the Rhine with cruises (see RTT Travel for discounts). Take the train into Bingen. Just check out the hours the shops close during the day. They take a siesta from 2-5/6 most afternoons.

Every town has its own beer. If you like sweet white wines try any year Auslese or slightly less sweet Spatlese wines. Have a blast!

Koln has a whole lot of great architecture.

Last edited by a moderator:

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
Bavaria and Munich in particular are gorgeous. Munich is also home to BMW world HQ and you can take factory tours these as well. They've also got a kick ass museum there that they call the "Welt".

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is one country I would love to visit. I'm sure you'll have a really good time. So much to see and do there.

prs97

Established Member
I went to Stuttgart a few years ago for work. I got to see a little bit and would love to get back there to see more.

My wife and I tried to get to Neuschwanstein but it didn't pan out. Heidelberg was cool but very touristy.

The food and beer were great too.

Last edited:

jbs$

Established Member
I will 2nd 11GT50's comments. Also, get over into the Nuenburge (not sure if spelled correctly) area.

Last edited:

bumplime

Established Member
I went to Munich a little over two weeks ago for a business meeting and only got to see things in the evening before dinner and then on Saturday morning for a bit. It has a ton of history and damn near every building makes our buildings look plain and boring. It really opened my eyes to how plain even our "prestigious" buildings are. There is so much sculpting, crazy architecture etc that I spent most of my time just viewing them.
I was also very surprised by the numerous Bentlys, Ferraris, R8s, Lamborghinis, that just cruise around Munich. I also seen a Cobra Roadster, 60s GT350, and a Viper ACR.
It is a very expensive place to visit though and their relaxed way of living is something I am not accustomed to but did enjoy. Breakfast at 9. Work around 10. Lunch/beer over a nice 1 hour long meal then dinner at 8pm. Nightlife looked very active but I didn't get to go into any clubs.

usafimj

Established Member
Last edited:

Nukem1040

Established Member
Go to Munich. go see Neuschwanstein, Oberammergau and Wieskirche. neuschwanstein is the castle that the Disney castle was patterned after it is an amazing place. Take a look here:

Munich Germany Tour - Neuschwanstein, Oberammergau and Wieskirche

I have not used the service but it is probably well worth using

I second these castles. Went there also. I live in Bamberg. One of the few cities never bombed. It has the most breweries in one spot in Germany and home of the Smoked Beer:rockon::beer:(Schlankerla) or close to that spelling.
Second would be Nurnberg as others commented. Great city and they always have markets going on in the square. Enjoy!

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Heidelberg was gorgeous, I was stationed there for 2 years. The Neckar river is there and there is a castle there that they light up at night it looks amazing. They call it the burning of the castle. Stuttgart was fun as well. Me and my friends took a castle tour on a 4 day and saw castles in Neuschwanstein and one in Luxembourg I think, someone else was driving so I don't remember. We also went to Antwerpen Belgium stayed the night there and went to the shops during the day. Europe is awesome, if the US Army hadn't told me to leave I would still be there.

About the history and whatnot:

Heidelberg Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

clbailey

Established Member
Thanks again guys.. I gotta decide if were gonna hit the ring the first day or last couple days in country. Ill be in and out of Ramstein and she's gonna be flying into Frankfurt most likely.

Users who are viewing this thread