Got beat BAD!!!

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Real gnx's are very hard to come by. Only 4900 (or close) made vs 20,000 of the gn. I have seen numerous guys put the louvers on the front side panels and all the badges to fool you.

In 10-12 years of track racing I have only seen one true GNX. It ran mid 13's in stock form.

This is a car that you can look at the engine and not tell the difference between a 10 second one and a stock one. An old friend has one that is actually a 3.8 bored to a 4.3, bigger turbo (looks stock), boost can be adjusted in car (0- near 30 psi), and a bunch of other mods gets it in the 10's. The only thing that tells me it is built is the tie strap he has to limit the breaking of motor mounts. Other than that nothing looks modded. He hustled us in one of our near stock 175 shot 11.8 sec nitrous Z28.

My all time favorite car.

Last edited:

95_LT1_Z

Established Member
down here in fl there are A LOT of fast gn/gnx/t-types. quite a few in sub 10 second quarter miles. down the street from my house is a place called kdk perfromance where the guy ther (kevin) specializes in turbo regals. he has quite a few one in the 9's possibly 8's if i remember correctly. Scary cars

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
How about less than 600

Originally posted by Rearpl8tsinsite
Real gnx's are very hard to come by. Only 4900 (or close)
More rare than even that. From BuickGNX.com:

1987 was the only production year and 547 were made, all optioned identically with a serialized plaque on the dash.

tony_03COBRA

Established Member
Hey Hermes this was in the downriver area. If you know that area, we were going down Allen road. Is this the guy you know? If it is tell him he has one of the fastest cars I have ever seen. Seriously I have never seen a car pull like that in real life. On videos and stuff yea but when you see it in real life your just like "WHOA". Really is a sleeper too.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Re: Re: How about less than 600

Originally posted by 03SoCalCobra
:cryying: I guess that ends thoughts about getting one as a new project car.
So get a regular mid-80s T-type Regal (for a fraction of the cost of a GN, much less GNX) and really shock people :-D

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Maybe. The GN's and Regals always did look fast, if not intimidating. And I would think most of us know what they are capable of.

What I think will be shocking us muscle folks more are these obscene new toys I've been seeing around town, like modded STi's and Evo's. Little 4 wheel coffee grinders zipping around town like Crotch Rockets.

The other day I saw 2 going at it on the freeway. Hadn't heard a whine like that since I went to see a race at PIR last year. Sheesh how many bottles of NOx does one need?

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
GN's, GNX's and Blue03Cobra

My hat is off to Blue03Cobra :beer: - you got all the right info about the GNX and your post was very impressive. You only left out the few external mods that made the X different from the GN. The wheels were different (aluminum honeycomb/lace - cross hatch pattern), bigger tires (Goodyear Gatorbacks), and there were fender flares along with the vents/louvers you mentioned. And of course the GNX badging as well.

There are a LOT of GN's that have the fender louvers and flares as well as GNX look-alike rims so it's pretty easy to mistake a GN for an actual GNX. One dead giveaway (and yes, GNX emblems are actual available I'm told so you can't even believe the emblems) is the unit build number that is located on the dash above the glove box. It will have a number from 1 to 547 (only 547 were actually built - I used to own #281) and will tell you where the car fell sequentially in production.

I've owned 3 different GN's including the one I have now (an '87 hardtop with 55k miles) and the GNX. They are not cars to be taken lightly if the driver knows how to launch them from a start or roll. They can certainly be beaten and an '03 Cobra (again, assuming it has a good driver) will give even a GNX all it wants with the most basic Turbo Regal mods such as a chip, tires, and race gas. I've had my current car (just basic bolt ons with the stock turbo, intercooler, and intercooler) to a best of 13.0 @ 105+mph.

The GN's/GNX's are cars with 16+ year old technology and engineering but they can surprise anyone. At a stoplight or from a roll, unless you know the car, it could be a 13 second stocker OR a 10 second street killer.

Nice site here by the way. And, the blue '03 Cobra is my favorite color (along with the black of course). I've also attached a pic from ASC McClaren's lot of some GNX's awaiting shipment. A nice view IMHO!
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

phreakness

Established Member
everyone knows your NEVER race a turbo buick from a rolling start. AN 03 cobra against a turbo buick from a dead stop... 03 would give it a good run..... but rolling.... its a kill everytime for the buick.

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
Originally posted by Blue Poison
Let's see who would win if you're chipped and pullied.

LOL, the GN would still win. Have you guys not ever raced a properly built Grand National/T-Type? :lol:

Mowgli

Established Member
Originally posted by tony_03COBRA
...Anyone ever race a built one and beat it???

I beleive the topic poster asked the same question Wease.

"Pulley and chip", though, that is funny. Need a tad more than that, lol.

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Somebody started a 7 page thread about this thread at off-topic.net.

Title
"Further proof that people STILL don't know anything about turbo Buick's..."
1st post: Best comment,

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Running fast turbo cars from a mid speed roll is just asking to be killed. Go from a stop.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thread starter: Kenny
AIM Screen Name: lc2kenny

Just thought you guys would want to know.

Mcteague

Banned
The GN's earned my respect when I raced one on my piped/jetted/geared Honda CB1000 from a 50mph roll. We were even for a while then he started pulling. Before then no car ever came close much less win! Those cars look tough but still a sleeper because you don't know if you're up against a 13 and 10 second car untill you race!

Mcteague

Banned
Originally posted by Wease
LOL, the GN would still win. Have you guys not ever raced a properly built Grand National/T-Type? :lol:

Have you raced a KB 03 Cobra? Now that would be a race and my money would be on the Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread