Got bored today-2.9 Whipple inlet mod

SlowSVT

Established Member
Yes I saw that thread awhile back. It definately didn't do anything for the 2.3 Whipple. I am hoping with the 2.9 and higher boost will show better results than what that behemoth did for the 2.3. I guess there are no guarantees! We are shooting for around thanksgiving time for the results. Kurgan will be doing the tuning.

Some of those aftermarket blower intakes look like the designer's goal was to maximize plenum volume but not necessarily flow volume.

Everyone gets different results. As a design engineer I can't tell you how many times I got the opposite results than what was expected :cuss: I can't imagine Whipple not conducting CFD simulations to optimize the intake design but there are other factors that may force compromises. My thinking is your modification will decrease the flow restrictions over the OEM blower intake. Whether that results in a power gain remains to be seen as you pointed out.

The pioneers are the ones leading the rest of us. My experience is you tend to learn more from your mistakes then from your successes.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Some of those aftermarket blower intakes look like the designer's goal was to maximize plenum volume but not necessarily flow volume.

Everyone gets different results. As a design engineer I can't tell you how many times I got the opposite results than what was expected :cuss: I can't imagine Whipple not conducting CFD simulations to optimize the intake design but there are other factors that may force compromises. My thinking is your modification will decrease the flow restrictions over the OEM blower intake. Whether that results in a power gain remains to be seen as you pointed out.

The pioneers are the ones leading the rest of us. My experience is you tend to learn more from your mistakes then from your successes.

Good point. I definately have learned the hard way on my fair share of expiraments. Hopefully this wont be one of them! There must be a reason they make the crusher inlet, right? Not saying that this is a crusher, but for the money I think it's worth a shot.

dublekick

Established Member
i have to see this working. kenne bell and whipple wouldnt invest into inlets like the mammoth or crusher if they didnt work. i have a modular power house on my kenne bell and im sure that thing does wonders.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
I hopefully can get it finished up this weekend. Can't wait to do some testing on this.

badazzebz06

Established Member
that is awesome work im pretty sure u will see some good gains and that is really only due to the boost level i have understood it as anything basically above 22psi really takes benefit of the bigger plenum....i was interested in doing a behemoth but according to my tuner is a waste of time cause im goin 93 octane and 19psi

oldmodman

Established Member
Very nice bit of fabrication.
And decrease in resistance before the blower will have a huge effect on power.
Far more than porting afterwards.
That's why a really well designed CAI will make more additional power than porting the heads. Especially with a small type blower and a near stock motor.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Thanks guys! I should have some more pics up this weekend. Can't wait to do the testing on it too!

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
0d3z.jpg

zx8h.jpg

Got the inlet pretty much done. Originally wanted to move the bypass valve 90* and point it out the left side. I ran into clearance issues from the fuel rail. Ended up just notching it out like the first picture here shows. I also made a vane for it. It didnt quite turn out exactly like I wanted. On the next one the vane will be put in before the back is on. Now it just needs some tumbling, sanding and polishing.

ctgreddy

Established Member
God damn dude that looks awesome! Just looking at the last pic I'd assume that was just a production whipple upgraded inlet it looks so nicely done!

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Thanks guys! Means a lot to here those comments. Hopefully the 2.9 likes it as well!!

SlowSVT

Established Member
You don't have to tell me how many hours you got into that intake.

I know...........I know

Nice work :thumbsup:

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
The inlet is pretty much finished. Gonna let member ORNGVENM take over the polishing from here. Here is a few pics of the final product. Thanks for all the compliments guys!!

mygh.jpg

h0m6.jpg

pdka.jpg

37x4.jpg

trm.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread