Got ran off the road...

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
So, the other night, I got ran off the road. Guy appeared to be texting an was coming head on at me into my lane and when I swerved, I hit the edge of one of those little concrete pads that they put street lights onto with my passenger side chamber. Thankfully, the dammage was all to the exhaust (or so I thought).
Over the weekend, my buddy and I repaired the hole as bet we could. We used a blow torch to heat the hole in the chamber and pulled it back into place the best we could and welded it closed. thought that was the only problem but after re installing everything, I find that I still have an exhaust leak coming from what sound like the headers where they meet the block. My question is, what would be the easiest way to check this and will I need to drop the motor (a little or all the way)? Any help or insight on this matter will help. Thanks.

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
So let's be honest was it you or him texting? Just kidding lol, but seriously I would jack the car up, or let an exhaust shop look it over good before dropping the motor etc. What tells you its coming from the block/header?

Tractionless1

Established Member
Had the like happen to me a month ago but I was on a motorcycle, same happened to a buddy of mine 2 days ago on a bike as well. Stay on your toes y'all.

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
So let's be honest was it you or him texting? Just kidding lol, but seriously I would jack the car up, or let an exhaust shop look it over good before dropping the motor etc. What tells you its coming from the block/header?

To be honest,, I NEVER text and drive, I lost my mom, dad, and 18yr old brother to a 16yr old girl who was texting (multiple witnesses saw here texting and swerving all over the road). She's was just fine though.

What tells me that its coming from the block/ header area is from where the noise is coming from. I have loosened and tightened everything exhaust related but I cant get to the header bolts. So logic would tell me thats the culprit/next-best-place to look.

Zemedici

Established Member
may have just tweaked the header a bit, put the car on the lift and see if you can push the header tighter toward the block.

Sorry about your family, man.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Could you please elaborate...?

20140313_101258.jpg

Attach a metal coat hanger to hose for hard to reach areas...you will hear the slightest leak very loud...

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
To be honest,, I NEVER text and drive, I lost my mom, dad, and 18yr old brother to a 16yr old girl who was texting (multiple witnesses saw here texting and swerving all over the road). She's was just fine though.

Important thing first because I happened to click on your thread.

Sorry for the loss of your loved ones. Prayer sent your way.

And good luck with your car hope it's something minor.

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
Important thing first because I happened to click on your thread.

Sorry for the loss of your loved ones. Prayer sent your way.

And good luck with your car hope it's something minor.

may have just tweaked the header a bit, put the car on the lift and see if you can push the header tighter toward the block.

Sorry about your family, man.

Thanks, It's greatly appreciated.

I Will be working on my car this weekend and get back to you guys. Thanks for the help.

MeanO3

Established Member
My best advice would be to jack the car up enough to get under it and grab like a small piece of paper and light it on fire where its giving on some good smoke. Make sure the smoke gets up to where the headers are and see where it gets pulled in at. Opportune scenario would be a smoke machine but desperate times caused me to use paper and fire. Works well. It should get sucked in to where the leak is.

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member

What tells me that its coming from the block/ header area is from where the noise is coming from. I have loosened and tightened everything exhaust related but I cant get to the header bolts. So logic would tell me thats the culprit/next-best-place to look.

Sorry to hear about that man :nonono: Well hopefully this fix is simple and easy. I just ripped one my exhaust bolts completely off due to car being so low.

20140313_101258.jpg

Attach a metal coat hanger to hose for hard to reach areas...you will hear the slightest leak very loud...

Lol awesome

Users who are viewing this thread