Got some kills on a gt500 this weekend

nickf2005

Established Member
I WISH Chevy was using lead-based paint. Then maybe they could do away with their water-based CRAP paint! Neither of my 2012 Camaros made 2k miles before issues popped up, and my brother's 2011 Camaro SS....oh man.

Sure, other manufacturers use similar paint, but they don't cheap out and spray one coat of paint and one coat of freaking clear on a $40k+ car!!!!

GM paint quality is a freaking joke.
cwm23.gif
cussing.gif

My 06 looks brand new. They did a fine job painting that car.

3800 is still pretty damn heavy by the way.

I think the GT500 would have been better if instead of giving it more power they reduce the weight and give it some real tires. 285's are a joke..

The Goodyear 285's are a joke. Several good tire compounds out there in the same size. Michelin Pilot SS to name one. Just have to shell out over $400 a tire.

Posted via Topify using Android

Poppacapp

Established Member
The Goodyear 285's are a joke. Several good tire compounds out there in the same size. Michelin Pilot SS to name one. Just have to shell out over $400 a tire.

Posted via Topify using Android

My 305 series 555r's on stock svtpp wheels werk just fine.. on the street anyway. Dragstrip they are a joke.

YELL03

Established Member
Another pissing contest... A 13 GT beating a pre 2011
GT500 is plausable as everybody knows those things blow their tires off. The GT puts power down more gradually and is easier to drive (especially with an auto).
I have seen shitty GT500 drivers put down a 15 sec quarter mile because they do take some skill to drive... 03/04 Cobras, 2011 and up GTs, Bosses and GT500s are all in the 400 plus horsepower range and all have pros and cons when you get down to it... They are four of the best late model mustangs ever produced by Ford and all have sick potential... However not all drivers are created equal and not every kill story is smackdown worthy.

Nice kills OP!!!

I have owned a 2011 and 2012 5.0 both automatic, one modded and my 75 year old father currently has a stock 2013 5.0 with a manual tranny.

I bought a stock 2011 GT500 convertible about 4 months ago.

It is all about traction.

The GT500 is the hardest car to drive on regular tires, traction is non-existent.

My 2011 & 2012 5.0 automatics on stock tires were so easy to drive, light to light warriors, but the GT500, I fear almost everything from a dig on stock tires.

Put a stickier tire on the GT500 and that heavy pig will move.
There is a guy on this forum that just by putting sticky tires on his stock 2011 GT500, he ran 11.4@122 compared to a stock tired run in the low 12s @118 I believe.
I am sure he had the driver mod from the looks of the vids, with slick and skinnies he ran 11.2@123+.

Then again, there are some stock 5.0s tunning upper 11.9@115-116 in mineshaft air on stock tires, that is why I have bought 3 of them.

I am sure if I had to run light to light, the 2013 5.0 auto or manual might beat the GT500 on stock tires.

I know some people will say, put DRs on both cars to make it apples to apples, but the 5.0 doesn't need the traction nearly as much.

I tell people this all the time, my stock tired Viper ran 12.3@116, just switching to stocky R-compounds it went 11.6@120, it was nice not fearing hitting the wall on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, just like the GT500 on stock tires

Now in the sex appeal department, sorry, the GT500 wins, lol

March15andMarch162013034_zpsaf3e5963.jpg

Last edited:

YELL03

Established Member
Verts are for women lol

:D

I did not want a Vert, but when I found this 2011 GT500 with 22K for $38,975, I couldn't pass it up, everybody wanted more than that for 2007-2009s back in April, and 2010+ were going for $42K+, so I grabbed the chick car, and a pair of :coolman:

HJZ

Established Member
It looks damn good for a Vert.:rockon:

As far as running this car from a dig, I've given up on the idea. I can't seem to find traction from 1 to 2. In fact, I'm gun shy about even flooring it after a hard shift. It took me some time :)x) this past weekend to run down a Porsche C2S from a dig. It's just a pain in the ass.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Well nice runs. This thread though is seriously funny. A high powered Honda can beat a car when the driver can not put the power to the pavement. But you have to honestly ask yourself, same skilled driver in a stock 13 vs a stock lets say 10 GT500 do you seriously believe the GT is going to walk it ??? I'm not talking heat soak or anything else. I am talking both cars launching, lets say a 1.9 60ft, and running the 1/4. a 13 GT is not going to stomp a 2010 GT500 in any shape form or faction. PERIOD.

Now I have seen GT run very well. I have seen them run bad. I have seen modded runs. Its great car indeed. But please keep in perspective. A driver mod makes the difference and it does not take much to beat a bad driver or a driver that does not know his car. Its just that simple.

Also I am still trying to wrap my brain around what a stripper GT500 is ??????? You do know they do not sell those right ? 07~10 you had ONE package of a GT500. In 11~12 you can buy a base or a PP/SVT package and 13~14 its base, PP, or PP/TT package. Not sure if this stripper package exist.

Kewlv8

Established Member
Also I am still trying to wrap my brain around what a stripper GT500 is ??????? You do know they do not sell those right ? 07~10 you had ONE package of a GT500. In 11~12 you can buy a base or a PP/SVT package and 13~14 its base, PP, or PP/TT package. Not sure if this stripper package exist.

Stripper Package = V6 Pony Car with Cobra Emblem. :dw:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
You mean the new 5.0 isn't the fastest Mustang EVAR? :-D

Last I heard they were taking down Bugatti Veyron Super Sports with just CAI, exhaust, and an air freshner......

In for the "ZOMG 5.0 iz so gud!?" responses. :pop:

LOL, traction is a serious issue for 500hp cars on street tires. My buddies whipple 03 couldn't even bust into the 11s at the track, roasted the radials half way down the strip.

cmsnake

Established Member
If theres one thing I've noticed its the massive 5.0 hate. It's pretty excessive. And it seems to come from termi owners the most. Not sure why. Car was a monster for its time. Fact is a 10 yr newer gt puts down similar numbers out of the box. It's life. Thing is I love termis, I can count a handful of times I nearly bought a used one.

Point is, it's not fair imo to bash a car bc of a few owners. A dbag is a dbag regardless of vehicle. I would venture to say all these 5.0 tools are under 30 and refer to the "old" 4.6s.

Back on subject, it happens all the time, 11+ gt's running w pre 13 shelbys at the track. On the highway not so much.

Truth is the new 5.0s are capable cars and have the track times to back it up at a killer price point, especially w FI. Hence why in own one.

Users who are viewing this thread