GT 500 motor blown...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RepoMann

Established Member
1bad04cobra said:
If the motors cant handle as much power as the term's they won't sell as much.Thats what makes mustang attractive,the ability to mod:poke:

Lets just think about this statement. How many people really want a 600HP street car? Not many. I keep seeing these statements stating that the Shelby is "limited to ONLY 500RWHP". NEWS FLASH: THAT IS A SHITLOAD OF HORSEPOWER!!! Your average GT500 owner is more than likely not going to mod it at all. Just because everybody on this board is a horsepower junky, doesn't mean the rest of the world is. When most normal people find out that the Shelby has 500HP from the factory, they sheet their pants. That is more HP than 99% of people are EVER going to need. I mean seriously, the fact that you can even buy a 500HP car right off the showroom floor is amazing in itself. This is an exciting time that has not been around since 1970. Don't piss on it. Ask yourself this, have you ever driven a car with 400 REAR WHEEL HP? (Not an insult, I'm just asking) If you have, than you know that 400RWHP makes for a SCARY fast car. Now add 100 more RWHP to that, and you have a ridiculously scary fast car. I guarantee that alot of the people on this board don't own fast cars, and if they got a ride in a 450RWHP Terminator, they would $hit their pants.:burnout:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
RepoMann said:
Lets just think about this statement. How many people really want a 600HP street car? Not many. I keep seeing these statements stating that the Shelby is "limited to ONLY 500RWHP". NEWS FLASH: THAT IS A SHITLOAD OF HORSEPOWER!!! Your average GT500 owner is more than likely not going to mod it at all. Just because everybody on this board is a horsepower junky, doesn't mean the rest of the world is. When most normal people find out that the Shelby has 500HP from the factory, they sheet their pants. That is more HP than 99% of people are EVER going to need. I mean seriously, the fact that you can even buy a 500HP car right off the showroom floor is amazing in itself. This is an exciting time that has not been around since 1970. Don't piss on it. Ask yourself this, have you ever driven a car with 400 REAR WHEEL HP? (Not an insult, I'm just asking) If you have, than you know that 400RWHP makes for a SCARY fast car. Now add 100 more RWHP to that, and you have a ridiculously scary fast car. I guarantee that alot of the people on this board don't own fast cars, and if they got a ride in a 450RWHP Terminator, they would $hit their pants.:burnout:

But there are people like me that even 589 RWHP seems to get old after a while. I am ready to up the boost yet again :)

-Jeff

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
Skywarp said:
So if the 500 uses Lighting rods what is the basic rwhp limit for a Lightning. Lighting owners chime in.

500 rwhp is the absolute limit on stock lightning short block with the POS rods they have. personally i wouldn't go more than 450 rwhp because i have heard of some even letting go at this level. the shelby GT-500 is about 800 lbs lighter than the lightning so the fact that the cars engine has less weight to move might be in its favor. bottomline i believe the absolute limit for the shelby will be 580 rwhp because it has a manual trans vs the lightnings auto trans so this will allow for a higher rwhp before the rods break.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
quadcammer said:
ls1 z28=25k
mild heads/cam-3k =430rwhp NA
nx wet kit=800

550rwhp and 55rwtq on a 100shot

no forged bottom end.

as an ex Ls1 owner you can't build a h/c Ls1 for $3K with supporting mods. Good heads installed cost that much alone. Then you got the factory 10 bolt to upgrade, clutch, lid/headers/cam/valvesprings/retainers/etc...

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
fastkars.com said:
as an ex Ls1 owner you can't build a h/c Ls1 for $3K with supporting mods. Good heads installed cost that much alone. Then you got the factory 10 bolt to upgrade, clutch, lid/headers/cam/valvesprings/retainers/etc...

Just like anything else, supporting mods are expensive.

The price was not the point, the ability to make 550rwhp on the stock shortblock was.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
RepoMann said:
Ask yourself this, have you ever driven a car with 400 REAR WHEEL HP? (Not an insult, I'm just asking) If you have, than you know that 400RWHP makes for a SCARY fast car.

My "R" has 400rwhp and I have the screaming passengers to prove that it's pretty scary! :lol: :-D

Jpjr

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
My "R" has 400rwhp and I have the screaming passengers to prove that it's pretty scary! :lol: :-D

As in Cobra R?

That car is a walking testimonial to how much better of a sports car the Mustang platform would be if it was just lighter. Unfortunately the brilliant Ford engineers were only able to lighten it by removing the radio and air conditioning. :whine:

Quadcammer

Established Member
400rwhp in a 3500lb car is not scary fast by any stretch of the imagination

chuckstang

Established Member
Fast Freddy said:
500 rwhp is the absolute limit on stock lightning short block with the POS rods they have. personally i wouldn't go more than 450 rwhp because i have heard of some even letting go at this level. the shelby GT-500 is about 800 lbs lighter than the lightning so the fact that the cars engine has less weight to move might be in its favor. bottomline i believe the absolute limit for the shelby will be 580 rwhp because it has a manual trans vs the lightnings auto trans so this will allow for a higher rwhp before the rods break.

Could someone put this to rest.
Lightning rods do not equal gt500 rods

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Jpjr said:
As in Cobra R?

That car is a walking testimonial to how much better of a sports car the Mustang platform would be if it was just lighter. Unfortunately the brilliant Ford engineers were only able to lighten it by removing the radio and air conditioning. :whine:

A 2000 Cobra "R" was not a light vehicle by ANY stretch of the imagination!

quadcammer said:
400rwhp in a 3500lb car is not scary fast by any stretch of the imagination

If you're talking a straight line then I would say it is only mildly exciting. Precisely why I don't drag race. It might be fine for others, but I find it quite boring! :bored:

My "R" currently weighs in at just a tick under 3,300# and has just a tick over 400RWHP and I can assure you, a lap at VIR is VERY exciting. :read: Even after doing it NUMEROUS times! :idea:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

bluestreak89

Established Member
RepoMann said:
You are correct sir. I think the people who frequent boards like these get caught up in the hype. I reality there are many more stock cars than there are modded ones. HOWEVER, the previous generation cobras had to have the highest ratio of mod vs non mod cars. It's a guess but I would put money on it. Even if its just a pulley change or intake or whatever. That does not mean they all want to test the limits of the stock block though and even fewer will want to try it with the Shelby ESPECIALLY in it's first year or during the warranty period at all. And considering many of the Shelby buyers and mustnag faithfuls and may have had to stretch to pay 45k may not be able to afford voiding the warranty. In the performance world though these things do matter and the reputation of the mustang is on the line. If you recall the SRT mustangs were selling at premiums when they first came out then the Z06 came and they started getting huge rebates because the car was faster cheaper etc etc. If the Camaro or Challenger can be in the same price range the shelby's will have rebates on them in the next couple of years, but that's way down the line.

Quadcammer

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
If you're talking a straight line then I would say it is only mildly exciting. Precisely why I don't drag race. It might be fine for others, but I find it quite boring! :bored:

My "R" currently weighs in at just a tick under 3,300# and has just a tick over 400RWHP and I can assure you, a lap at VIR is VERY exciting. :read: Even after doing it NUMEROUS times! :idea:

yeah, around turns its very exciting, although id prefer 2000lbs and 200rwhp

:-D

Fourcam330

Established Member
chuckstang said:
Could someone put this to rest.
Lightning rods do not equal gt500 rods

You are correct, they are not Lightning rods. As far as strength goes they're in between L rods and the 4340 Hs found in the 03/04s.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Bruce, what's a '00R weigh from the factory? #3600-3650lbs?

JeffsLightning

Established Member
I'm surprised the New Jersey camp has not reported in from where this supposedly happened... Don't they also own this website?:eek:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Fourcam330 said:
Bruce, what's a '00R weigh from the factory? #3600-3650lbs?

This is not my car but my car was VERY similar to this setup when I first started tracking:

My 2000R
Full tank of fuel
Stock tires and wheels
Kenny Brown 6 point bolt in roll bar
Kenny Brown subframe connectors and jacking rails
Rear differential fluid pump and cooler mounted under rear bumper

LF 1027 RF 1047
LR 836 RR 818

Total weight 3728

Trust me, removing over 400# from a Mustang is no small (or cheap) endeavor!:idea:

JimIII@jdm

dgussin1 said:
I heard the same thing. It let go at 580rwhp, throwing 2 rods out the side of the block...I think it may have been on JDM's dyno, but JDM wasn't tuning it.

Again as i said on modular fords you are wrong! we haven't had one here yet, not on the dyno, parking lot, Hell I havent even seen one in person yet. My Dad has one on order and he is geting the run around with our local dealership on it.

Trust me we are going to be the last one to blow one of these cars up, if half the other shops out there who have these havent blown one up yet we sure as hell wont. This is like high school with all the gossip and rumors, KNOW YOUR FACTS!!!!

The real story is Eric from Precision fab called me to find out what is in the motor for rods, I said " We have had our crate engine we bought apart and it has powder cracks in it" Then he asked if anyone has blown one up? I said "yes I have heard Roush blew one up at 580"

So before anyone starts dropping our name, know what the hell your talking about!

We have been in the tuning business longer than 95% of the "tuner shops" around these sites, we have more experience, knowledge, time, effort, skill, and know how than half the jokers out there running around. So stop saying it was us!!!

JimIII

Last edited:

2-slow

Say what?
Established Member
JimIII@jdm said:
Again as i said on modular fords you are wrong! we haven't had one here yet, not on the dyno, parking lot, Hell I havent even seen one in person yet. My Dad has one on order and he is geting the run around with it.

Trust me we are going to be the last one to blow one of these cars up, if half the other shops out there who have these havent blown one up yet we sure as hell wont. This is like high school with all the gossip and rumors, KNOW YOUR FACTS!!!!

The real story is Eric from Precision fab called me to find out what is in the motor for rods, I said " We have had our crate engine we bought apart and it has powder cracks in it" Then he asked if anyone has blown one up? I said "yes I have heard Roush blew one up at 580"

So before anyone starts dropping our name, know what the hell your talking about!

We have been in the tuning business longer than 95% of the "tuner shops" around, we have more experience, knowledge, time, effort, skill, and know how than half the jokers out there running around. So stop saying it was us!!!

JimIII
Thank you! So that settles that.:beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread